What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The theatrical version is the only version I've seen.

I bought the 4K UHD edition, which was labeled as the "Ultimate Edition extended cut" or something to that effect, and it was bundled with the regular blu-ray, and priced at $19.99, I thought "why not?"

But I found in this edition, only the UHD disc has the extended cut and the bundled blu-ray only has the theatrical cut.

Naturally because I don't have a UHD player, I can't see the 4K disc with the extended cut yet.

Agreed. DANCES WITH WOLVES, APOCALYPSE NOW, and THE ABYSS, are better in their extended forms.

The jury is still out on T2, SUPERMAN, EARTHQUAKE, MIDWAY, AIRPORT '77, STAR TREK: II, STAR TREK: VI, and the extended, chronological presentation of the THE GODFATHER saga.

Not sure about Apocalypse Redux, Richard. Or do you mean a different version? I believe T2 is also better in its theatrical cut. 

The DE greatly expands on the Superman and Lois storylines. In the TE Superman/Clark Kent almost felt like a supporting character in the new Batman film. In the DE it's more even. It also gives more attention to Superman's antipathy against the Bat, while in the TE the focus was more on why Bruce Wayne hated and distrusted Superman.

Don't get me wrong, it's still quite an uneven film. The concept of DC's greatest heroes duking it out is problematic at best and is mainly fan service. And the way seeds are planted for The Justice League is often distracting (though admittedly they do a good job tying it in with Wayne's paranoia)

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Not sure about Apocalypse Redux, Richard. Or do you mean a different version? I believe T2 is also better in its theatrical cut. 

I do mean APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX.

I think it's a far more involving film, in its longer length. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Kingdom Of Heaven is probably the best example of a film improving with an extended cut. 

Oh, yes, that's a good one.

The extended version of BvS is absolutely superior to the theatrical cut.  They cut out too many scenes that actually explain what's going on.

Alice

Initially this looked like some self-indulgent vanity project for Woody's beloved muse at the time, but it delves a lot deeper into the human psyche through surrealism and spiritual development - the latter being a paradoxical observation given Allen's self-described "militant atheism", but his work itself speaks differently about a superficially religious woman resolving her mid-life crisis by following in the footsteps of her idol, Mother Theresa!

While watching this, something huge hit me about Mia Farrow's character. A keen viewer will observe that her story is almost a continuation of Mary Beth Hurt's character Joey in Interiors (who was coincidentally married to William Hurt who played Alice's husband in this film). In Alice, Mia Farrow is like a stand-in for Joey, as they share this burning desire to express themselves artistically but lack the talent to do so - a frustrating place to be for anyone! Even their hairdos are similar and Alice has an extramarital affair with a character named Joe. Ultimately it feels like a quasi resolution for Joey, for if she couldn't channel her expression, and the lavish and affluent lifestyle felt too empty and as meaningless as her mother's obsession with rearranging where the damn vases go, then finding meaning elsewhere through sacrifices seems to work for Alice and fulfills her spiritually in the way her manicures couldn't.

44 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Alice

Initially this looked like some self-indulgent vanity project for Woody's beloved muse at the time, but it delves a lot deeper into the human psyche through surrealism and spiritual development - the latter being a paradoxical observation given Allen's self-described "militant atheism", but his work itself speaks differently about a superficially religious woman resolving her mid-life crisis by following in the footsteps of her idol, Mother Theresa!

While watching this, something huge hit me about Mia Farrow's character. A keen viewer will observe that her story is almost a continuation of Mary Beth Hurt's character Joey in Interiors (who was coincidentally married to William Hurt who played Alice's husband in this film). In Alice, Mia Farrow is like a stand-in for Joey, as they share this burning desire to express themselves artistically but lack the talent to do so - a frustrating place to be for anyone! Even their hairdos are similar and Alice has an extramarital affair with a character named Joe. Ultimately it feels like a quasi resolution for Joey, for if she couldn't channel her expression, and the lavish and affluent lifestyle felt too empty and as meaningless as her mother's obsession with rearranging where the damn vases go, then finding meaning elsewhere through sacrifices seems to work for Alice and fulfills her spiritually in the way her manicures couldn't.

Such a strange tone and atmosphere to this film.  With this and Shadows and Fog, his next film, it's like he suddenly decided he could be Tim Burton and, just for the two films, takes all these cues from Art Deco, surrealism, and German expressionism.  It's interesting, but not my favorite little mini-era for Woody.  This is the far superior film to S&F, as well.

Never saw Alice. In fact, sorta gave up on following Allen after a while. And now I catch up whenever there's one on TV (which isn't often).

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

Nothing of note till 'Bullets over Broadway' comes along.

Husbands and Wives is one of his great films!  And Manhattan Murder Mystery is definitely minor but still a lot of fun.  Allen teaming up with Keaton and Alda couldn't help but be fun.  For me, it's just that weird 90-91 phase that was a real headscratcher.

Just now, Sally Spectra said:

The next ones set to air on Foxtel are Irrational Man and Scoop.

I actually haven't seen Irrational Man yet.  When will you be watching?

I saw all of these in the 90's. Meh. 'Bullets' and 'Deconstructing Harry' were the movies that finally prompted me to discover his funniest period (1969-1975). Those belong to a precious list of comedy movies that can bring you up even if you are very down.

I think Sleepers is my favorite of that period, although Love and Death is also great.

The cellist in the marching band from Take the Money and Run is probably my favorite visual joke Woody ever did.

Also, Small Time Crooks is his most underrated pure comedy.  Hilarious movie.

'Scoop' was really bad, as far as i recall. But 'Midnight in Paris' and 'Blue Jasmine' were recent films of his that surprised me because they didn't annoy me. His Amazon series is rather middling, but watchable. But 'Take the Money and Run', 'Bananas', 'Sleepers' and 'Love and Death' are just the ticket.

I can find something to like in even the worst of his films.  Just one of 2 or 3 directors whose work I will follow no matter what.

Where has Koray been for all this Woody discussion of recent weeks?  Isn't he the other uber-fan with me on the board?

Of the nine Woody films I've seen so far, I haven't seen a truly bad one yet. They've all had something good to offer.

I think what's surprised me the most is how well they're photographed. I never really viewed him as a visualist, and he probably isn't. But Gordon Willis and Carlo Di Palma gave his films that magical visual touch. Not sure about his later flicks at this point. I'll have to see them.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I can find something to like in even the worst of his films.  Just one of 2 or 3 directors whose work I will follow no matter what.

Where has Koray been for all this Woody discussion of recent weeks?  Isn't he the other uber-fan with me on the board?

I'm most unfamiliar with his earliest work. I used to watch them with my mom growing up but haven't seen them in years. I've just bought a ton of them from Twilight Time though so I'm eager to go through them. The 90s onward is where I vividly remember everything.

I like everything he does, so I'm probably not the best judge, but I really liked Irrational Man. Starts as your usual romantic style Allen film but takes a dark turn midway through that is just hilarious in how bizarre it is.

Match Point is my favorite film of his, and I have a soft spot for random throwaways like Melinda And Melinda, Hollywood Ending, and The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion. 

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You've seen Cafe Society?  I have Amazon Prime and I still haven't watched it.

I forgot of its existence. No promo, hype or buzz whatsoever. Has it vanished without a trace?

The only one I've seen is Antz.  When I was 11 or 12.  My first introduction to Woody actually.

I have seen Play It Again, Sam, which he wrote and starred in but didn't direct.

Oh, yes! I completely forgot about ANTZ. It's a very good film, and the way the grass at the beginning, represents New York City, is fun. I love the little musical Rambo reference when Stallone's character is being tortured.

It's pretty clear to me that Allen's cinematic apotheosis is MANHATTAN.

'Café Society' is wonderful fluff about a young man who's heading down to Hollywood from...you betcha...NYC in the mid-30's. Lots of cool references for the movie buffs, it rolls by in late Woody light and breezy style and it's the second movie after 'Hail Caesar' i badly hope will find a prolonged life in a miniseries at some point.

90 minutes do this colourful part of american history no justice and you feel cheated when it just stops. The story is not really that important but the flamboyance of the place and movie people of this time and place deserve a good AMC or HBO series. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

And Scoop is totally worth it just for the scenes of ScarJo in her swimsuit :D 

If you like this sort of thing (and, frankly, who doesn't? :)) check-out Kate Winslett in a red swimsuit, in LITTLE CHILDREN, or Madeline Stowe in a soaking-wet red Speedo, in UNLAWFUL ENTRY, or Joley Richardson, in any amount of swimming apparel, DROWNING BY NUMBERS.

Maps To The Stars - David Cronenberg-directed Hollywood bullshit-skewering satirical drama, with Julieanne Moore, John Cusack, Mia Wasikowska and Robert Pattinson. 

Every character is deeply unsympathetic so rooting for any of them is tough, but there are still some (very) dark laughs to be had.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The only one I've seen is Antz.  When I was 11 or 12.  My first introduction to Woody actually.

I have seen Play It Again, Sam, which he wrote and starred in but didn't direct.

I have Fading Gigolo but haven't watched it yet. Woody Allen as a pimp can't go wrong.

I didn't want to make a new thread for this and I didn't quite know where to post, so since it's about old movies, I'll post here.

The great, immortal David Warner sat for one of The AV Club's trademark "Random Roles" interviews where they go through an actor's career.  It's a feature that's always entertaining if the actor is a good raconteur.  Bill Paxton did one a few years back that was great.

Anyway, read it.  Warner is amazing.

David Warner on Twin Peaks, Tron, Titanic, Time Bandits, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

Baby Boom

Not a Woody, but definitely a Diane! She plays a hotshot New York ad executive who's left with a baby to raise and has no idea how. Has echoes of Mr Mom a few years earlier featuring a clueless parent thrown in the deep end. Has a real 1980s mentality where even if you reject the lavish lifestyle that comes at a significant personal cost, you can make up for it by being an independent entrepreneur. Final shot is lovely.

Related image

Top Gun

Marcy and I watched this the other weekend because we had never seen it, and it was supposed to be this classic 80s movie.

Well, we both thought it was completely terrible!

The cast is fine, but everything else was subpar; Bad story, bad dialogue, boring action scenes, poorly handled love story.  The film didn't even have any real bad guys; It's just them in training for 90%, then one final action scene where Russians are suddenly bad guys, but it wasn't handled well.  I have no problem with a film where the conflict comes from the hero's internal struggle to overcome loss and other personal struggles, but this isn't an example of telling that kind of story well, at all!

The love story was so tacky, they meet, have like one further scene together, then her third scene she's all "I've fallen for him!".  I generally like Tom Cruise is about all his movies I've seen him in, but here he was severely lacking in charisma, so much so they have scenes where other characters have to tell the love interest how lucky she is to have him.

I'm sure the aerial footage was thrilling at the time, but I found it to be edited poorly, with every scene feeling repetitive and too long, like they spent so much money on getting these shots they felt obliged to use them all.  I'm totally all for shooting things for real instead of using all CGI, but you still have to have a good pace and flow to what you shot!

The music was poorly handled too; I'm not going to say the pop songs in the movie are bad, I mean they are what they are, but they were also repetitive; Danger Zone was used TWICE within the first 10 minutes, and both times it was the same opening bit of the song - same with Take My Breath Away, it was used 3 times I think, each time the opening part of the song again.

Truly a terrible movie with nothing for me to recommend at all.  I think all its fans are ones who first saw it when they were kids, like a lot of other 80s movies like The Goonies or Big Trouble in Little China or whatever.