What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

HAMLET 2

Steve Coogan doing a wilful hybrid of his goofy british style within the confines of US comedies with broader audience aspirations. A rather retarded acting teacher leads his class over the requisite obstacles to glory and honour, writing an inane sequel to Hamlet that actually is about Jesus Christ (at least that's what we can see of the play). It is sketchy but when it is funny (and it's more often than it has the right to be) it delivers.

HOT FUZZ

It's rather slight but the recipe works - overeager civil servants tend to be funny and the pacing is excellent, so are the actors. Pegg lives in 'Spencer Hill', which may or may not be a reference to the merry old Spenver/Hill movies of yesteryear (they were huge in Germany).

THE WORLD'S END

GHOSTBUSTERS (or SHAWN OF THE DEAD, for that matter) it ain't. The first half starts promising (the nostalgic prologue that actually is a confession in an AA meeting), but as soon as the aliens twist sets in, the whole thing is one anemic stunt after another and never recovers.

I love the songs.

Then sing with me, Wojo!!!

Look at all my trials and tribulations

Sinking in a gentle pool of wine

Don't disturb me now I can see the answers

Till this evening is this morning life is fine

Always hoped that I'd be an apostle

Knew that I would make it if I tried

Then when we retire we can write the gospels

So they'll still talk about us when we've died

Now that I've slept on it I can say what's my final verdict on the Peter Jackson's latest. It's ultimately more fun to watch than the first one, but that's thanks to new characters, locations and a bit more lively part of this story - things that create the illusion everything it is all fresh. Nevertheless, poor storytelling inconsequential editing/pacing and over-everything - all these things together drag it down. King Kong is a masterpiece of restraint in comparison. Great filmmaking, or even adequate, it ain't. HFR didn't bother me nearly as much, but still looks unimpressive.

My sympathies go to Ian McKellen who spent most of this film alone in front of greenscreen. Must have been quite a torture for him.

Karol - who'd rather watch a brand new original story set in this universe

Now that I've slept on it I can say what's my final verdict on the Peter Jackson's latest. It's ultimately more fun to watch than the first one, but that's thanks to new characters, locations and a bit more lively part of this story - things that create the illusion everything it is all fresh. Nevertheless, poor storytelling inconsequential editing/pacing and over-everything - all these things together drag it down. King Kong is a masterpiece of restraint in comparison. Great filmmaking, or even adequate, it ain't. HFR didn't bother me nearly as much, but still looks unimpressive.

Karol - who'd rather watch a brand new original story set in this universe

Ok, I will wait for the 6 hours 37 minutes Blu-Ray extended version.

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug

I give up.

Sorry to hear that BloodBoal. Does that mean you're to relinquish your messenger duties over the coming months in regards to the final part?

The Little Mermaid

Its placement on ABC Family's "25 Days of Christmas" is puzzling, but I'm not complaining -- it was great seeing this movie in full-blown HD. The colors and animation really popped, and it felt like I was watching the movie again as a kid. The slapstick and one-liners are still very funny (especially the whole "Les Poissons" sequence), and Howard Ashman's songs are still insanely catchy. Just an entertainingly good time.

Hook, a movie with many defaults, but still moving.

Maybe one day, they will add some Special Effects to "expand" the sets and completey redo Tinker Bell scenes...

Maybe one day, they will add some Special Effects to "expand" the sets and completey redo Tinker Bell scenes...

Good Lord NO. There are starving people in the world.

Hook doesnt have the fanbase big enough to warrent such a treatment. Also i doubt Spielberg is interested.

He explicitly said in an interview a couple years ago that he's changed his mind about updating any of his movies, and all future re-releases will be the original versions, so I doubt it too.

Of course, he could always re-change his mind ;)

There are certain, permissible, airbrush applications. The Raiders snake is one if them. At the opposite end of the extreme is Han stepping on Jabba's tail like Super Mario collecting a mushroom.

Yes. That change actually lessened the power and danger of the scene.

Watched Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa last night. If you have no experience of Steve Coogan's majestic comedy invention then his titular character's first movie (after being on the tv scene for over twenty years) is a great place to start.

The Irish dude from Star Trek and Con Air lays seige to Alan's radio station armed with a shotgun, and a hostage crisis ensues which sees appointed negotiater Alan take the cowardly initiative and try to use the situation as an opportunity to steal the media circus limelight and get his waning celebrity career back on track in ways which only Partridge would have the shameless gall.

The film is a surprisingly very well done crossover with a "classic Partridge" script which pretty much hits every single mark bang on target throughout the breezy and chuckley 90mins runtime. I'll probably have to watch this a few times to spot all the best Partridgeisms and begin memorising the lines. Quintessential cult British comedy delivers, 4/5

hvITnRB.jpg

Tonight we watched The Avengers (instead of Desolation of Smaug).

Hey, this was much more hefty and enjoyable second time around. What felt like chaotic lip service in parts first time was much more successful at paying due care to almost every hero in the mix this time. That they managed to reign in and satisfyingly portray so much of the ensemble at once is a real achievement and not something to be taken for granted. I doubt the sequel wil manage the same high level of cohesive organisation and central binding plot which does a great job of creating a sense of attachment for these characters in a shared ridiculous universe. This is a really bloody good summer blockbuster and a much rarer success than its possibly given credit for. 4/5

Tonight we watched The Avengers (instead of Desolation of Smaug).

Hey, this was much more hefty and enjoyable second time around. What felt like chaotic lip service in parts first time was much more successful at paying due care to almost every hero in the mix this time. That they managed to reign in and satisfyingly portray so much of the ensemble at once is a real achievement and not something to be taken for granted. I doubt the sequel wil manage the same high level of cohesive organisation and central narrative. This is a really bloody good summer blockbuster and a much rarer success than its possibly given credit for. 4/5

Yeah, there is exactly nothing special about it. Except for the sheer fun of watching it. I always say, that for a film that was mostly designed as a marketing stunt, that it works so well is a sort of a miracle.

Karol

Josh has no magic touch. He's a modestly talented filmmaker but he is not great.

Mary Poppins, no need for a spoon full of sugar to watch this delight.

Mary Poppins would fit nicely at Hogwarts.

Josh has no magic touch.

Good to see the integrity of your judgement and taste is as consistent as that of your typing skills.

Huh that's far more rude than I've yet been on here. What is this place doing to me?