What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Master

I don't know about you, but I think Paul Thomas Anderson is great at assembling these great casts and certain scenes of the movie are pretty great (anything involving Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffmann is mesmerizing). But for me, I'm just not feeling his type of filmmaking -- he has a strong vision, a superb eye for framing and composition (especially with the 65mm film), can write some great scenes, but his films just don't engage me from start to finish.

I don't know, maybe it's just the kind of stories he choses to tell. Maybe he'll make a film that'll click for me, like when Woody Allen did Midnight in Paris. Maybe Inherent Vice will be that film, or another one.

m122387_20130401181200_747472157219.jpg

on the verge of being pretentious at times, but it never really tipped over. one of the more interesting films I've seen this year.

8/10

That's not the movie poster we want to see!

The Master

I don't know about you, but I think Paul Thomas Anderson is great at assembling these great casts and certain scenes of the movie are pretty great (anything involving Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffmann is mesmerizing). But for me, I'm just not feeling his type of filmmaking -- he has a strong vision, a superb eye for framing and composition (especially with the 65mm film), can write some great scenes, but his films just don't engage me from start to finish.

Completely agree.

Woody Allen wasn't fully engaging before he made Midnight In Paris? Hmm, to me that's Woody Allen in his artistic decline. Midnight In Paris is way too fluffy to make some kind of lasting impression. About Anderson, when I watch Magnolia or Punch Drunk-Love, I am fully absorbed. They are in my top 100 somewhere. The Master is not Anderson's best film, IMO. I think it concentrated a bit too much on getting two good performances out of the main leads (like that 20 minute long scene with them talking in a room). Loved the department store scenes in the beginning of the movie. Still need to revisit There Will Be Blood.

Alex

Just one of the more interesting films you've seen this year and yet you give it a mighty 8 our of 10?! You must watch loads of interesting films then is all I'm saying, which is of course perfectly plausible.

I do. I'm a very interesting and perfectly plausible person who watches loads of very interesting films.

Just one of the more interesting films you've seen this year and yet you give it a mighty 8 our of 10?! You must watch loads of interesting films then is all I'm saying, which is of course perfectly plausible.

I do. I'm a very interesting and perfectly plausible person who watches loads of very interesting films.

Sounds viable in the short term Alice, but is it sustainable? Maintaining that level of interestingness is all well and good, but I'd hate to see you peak too soon. I just hope you have something to fall back on.

Sounds viable in the short term Alice, but is it sustainable? Maintaining that level of interestingness is all well and good, but I'd hate to see you peak too soon. I just hope you have something to fall back on.

oh, this ride has just took off. I'm reaching levels previously unknown and unreached on a daily basis. everyone wants to be part of a miracle, quint. we're making history here. sit back and watch.

About to watch Return Of The Living Dead. My second Zombie movie after Shaun Of The Dead

Haven't seen the whole film, but a friend of mine showed me a YouTube video featuring Tarman. The effects there are amazing!

Return Of The Living Dead (1985)

Aaaahhhh the 80's.

Garish colours. teens dressed in punk outfits, ridiculous, over thye top acting. Cheesy synth score and pop songs. This film reminded me of the Canon films of that era.

But Return Of The Living Dead plays it for laughs. A sort of semi-sequel to Romero's original Night Of The Living Dead, this film happily flaunts its stupid characters, silly dialogue and weird set pieces. in one memorable one a punk girl called Thrash takes of her clothes in a graveyard strip act, and spends the rest of the film in some stage of nakedness. (in that era a fully shaved vagina must have been a rarity).

tumblr_m7r4rshic01qzcgluo1_1280.png

It takes a while for the Zombies to appear, but they don't disappoint. Tarman as was mentioned above is cool!

It's a cheesy 80's Zombie comedy and makes no apologies for being that. It's effective in both it's gore scenes and it's laughs.

Btw, the ending and many other plot elements of this film was pretty much reused verbatim in Aliens versus Predator Requiem, which is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Because it played this material straight.

*** out of **** stars

Woody Allen wasn't fully engaging before he made Midnight In Paris? Hmm, to me that's Woody Allen in his artistic decline. Midnight In Paris is way too fluffy to make some kind of lasting impression. About Anderson, when I watch Magnolia or Punch Drunk-Love, I am fully absorbed. They are in my top 100 somewhere. The Master is not Anderson's best film, IMO. I think it concentrated a bit too much on getting two good performances out of the main leads (like that 20 minute long scene with them talking in a room). Loved the department store scenes in the beginning of the movie. Still need to revisit There Will Be Blood.

Alex

The thing is, I never really "got" why people loved Woody Allen's work. Annie Hall just didn't engage me, hated Whatever Works and Melinda & Melinda, and I usually tuned out whenever Allen would play the protagonist in his more recent films like Curse of the Jade Scorpion. It still amazes me how Allen continues to write and direct one movie per year.

When I saw Midnight in Paris, I was like "Now I get why people love Allen so much" because everything clicked in that movie. And it's one of the most beautifully-shot travelogues in recent memory.

Screw Annie Hall! Manhattan is Woody's masterpiece and justly named as one of the best movies of the '70s and of all time. Whether it's engaging to you has depends on whether you relate to what it's saying (to Allen's personal take on life). The more you recognize the themes, the more you can connect. It's not entertaining in a way a Marvel or a blockbuster movie entertains. When I was a teenager, I didn't understand what all the fuzz was about.

I like SLEEPER and LOVE AND DEATH more (and DECONSTRUCTING HARRY, BULLETS OVER BROADWAY, MIGHTY APHRODITE...my, that's a lot of pictures...)

Only god knows why.

I've seen quite a few Allen movies over the years, but I don't think I've ever seen one twice. A few have left me cueless, but I liked most of them, some very much. I guess I should revisit them on Blu-ray. The only one I have so far is Midnight in Paris, which I loved.

Annie Hall is my favourite, followed by Play it Again Sam, which Allen only acted in. I thought Sleeper was absolutely hilarious as a teen, but I don't know I'd still be into it now. Can't actually remember whether or not I've seen Manhattan.

I need a movie recommendation. Not big action, drama or girlie. Just a good plot, maybe scary. Not into gore right now or I may puke ;)

Man . . . my closest connection to anything Woody Allen in the last 20 years or so came a couple of weeks ago, when I drove past the house where they filmed Sleeper.

- Uni

I need a movie recommendation. Not big action, drama or girlie. Just a good plot, maybe scary. Not into gore right now or I may puke ;)

Dressed to Kill, 1980, Michael Caine, Angie Dickeson.

as for last movie, I watched Poltergeist this morning. I was getting up and Frances was acting up so I told her she was going to get a spanking. Dave said I was saying it wrong, to say it correctly so I said you're gonna get a spankin to paraphrase Tangina Barrons. Anyways that sparked and idea about watching it.

Veg out?

slang for completely relax

The Heat was funny as hell. It was also pretty violent. The language is way to vulgar though, that seemed to be the biggest complaint as we were walking out. Some totally trashy female rap group gets way too much overplay in the movie.

Screw Annie Hall! Manhattan is Woody's masterpiece and justly named as one of the best movies of the '70s and of all time. Whether it's engaging to you has depends on whether you relate to what it's saying (to Allen's personal take on life). The more you recognize the themes, the more you can connect. It's not entertaining in a way a Marvel or a blockbuster movie entertains. When I was a teenager, I didn't understand what all the fuzz was about.

There is some truth to that. But I feel some directors' solo films alone are better than Allen's entire body of work. I like the poetic realism of Marcel Carne's Children of Paradise, the Technicolor escapism of Thief of Bagdad and Adventures of Robin Hood, and the quiet sadness of Nagisa Oshima's Empire of Passion. Allen's work is at best hit or miss with me.

Matt, it seems like a lot of what you've seen is his later work. You might check out Hannah and Her Sisters; it was the first Allen film I ever saw, and I found it to be a really good entry point. It's got enough of his thoughtfulness and flavor but is also probably one of his more (emotionally?) accessible films. Love and Death is also great, a very important film in his crossover to more serious work. Honestly, I'm a pretty big fan of his '80s films (that I've seen)--Zelig is superb; I love Hannah; The Purple Rose of Cairo is also excellent (one of Allen's favorites, I think, if not his favorite); Radio Days is a hoot, nostalgic but also thoughtful; Broadway Danny Rose is one of the sweeter Allen pictures, with some really gorgeous black-and-white photography--different from Manhattan, but a real visual treat. Crimes and Misdemeanors is excellent, but, to me, in a way that almost feels a bit more aloof. It's got some very meaty material that I'll have to chew over again.

Princess Bride and Blazing Saddles. Hard to watch a lot of the former without an amused smile, and always fun to watch with parents who forgot most of it and ask who the cameos are. The latter was for Paula, and it's amazing how much of the movie is tedious downtime.