What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I rememeber really enjoying Contact when it first came out. But that was a long time ago and it might spark a different reaction now.

My favorite Zemeckis film.

Mine too.

Jack Reacher: An okay action thriller in the "Don't think, just enjoy the ride" category. Even then, I would've written Duvall's character out of the movie. 6/10

jai-courtney-jack-reacher_zpsfdaad255.jp

Jack-Reacher-2012-008_zps196e253b.jpg

And starring Werner Herzog!

Alex

Yes, I did. And I was glad that there wasn't any music under it too. Scenes like these benefit from the sounds of the cars and all the crazy manoeuvring. Were they trying to make the best car chase ever? I mean, it felt a bit like that.

Alex

Yea, it was clear they tried really hard to make the car chase special.

I actually like that the film was fairly sparsely spotted, score-wise. I wrote a few paragraphs about the film here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20559&page=201#entry911912

I'd probably give it that same rating Alex did. Nothing I'd want to revist though I'd watch another Jack Reacher film.

I saw Tom Cruise back in the early 90's. He's several inches shorter than me.

Cruise is getting old. He still looks good though. The problem with the Jack Reacher character is that you can't really relate to him. The humor bits felt pretty awkward too.

Alex

Yea, it was clear they tried really hard to make the car chase special.

I actually like that the film was fairly sparsely spotted, score-wise. I wrote a few paragraphs about the film here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20559&page=201#entry911912

I thought the whole film was really well made and a nice throwback to 70s cop thrillers.

Man of Steel

"you're a monster, zod, and I'm going to stop you". really? zzzzz. haven't I seen this film before? like 1000 times? sure feels like it.

6/10

:music: What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World? (this is gonna be my new favorite runmyassoffonthetreadmill-cue, so for that, hans, I thank you!)

BS DRACULA

The Coppola version. Still silly nonsense obviously made by heavily intoxicated people. Why Mel Books thought it necessary to make a parody of it remains one of the secrets of the ages.

Try the Herzog version (or the Lugosi, or the Badham or even the Hammer).

What bugs me most about the Coppola isn't that it is trippy or high camp but that it's so noisy and unsubtle - as if a adhs-ridden child conceived it. It's the DRACULA HORROR PICTURE SHOW.

Thanks Alice. I feel the same way. Same old movie. Blah blah

Is it an American thing then to thank someone when they agree with you? It's some we Brits would never do!

What bugs me most about the Coppola isn't that it is trippy or high camp but that it's so noisy and unsubtle - as if a adhs-ridden child conceived it. It's the DRACULA HORROR PICTURE SHOW.

I have a soft spot for this film. I like Oldman's performance, old-school in camera effects and the music. It is also the closest adaptation.

But yeah, mostly a guilty pleasure.

Karol

I rememeber really enjoying Contact when it first came out. But that was a long time ago and it might spark a different reaction now.

Mine too.

One of mine at least. The original stance regarding religion in general from Sagan's novel is seriously compromised, and yet there remains much to think about. As far as movies go, this possibly comes closest to the wonder of science as shown in Sagan's own series Cosmos. Plus Jodie Foster's performance is fantastic (and John Hurt is cool as well).

I have a soft spot for this film. I like Oldman's performance, old-school in camera effects and the music. It is also the closest adaptation.

I love it, and while it's been years since I last saw it (there doesn't seem to be a decent Blu release yet?), I don't feel guilty about it. As you said, it's pretty close to the book, Oldman is awesome, the score works extremely well, and the photography and overlay effects are beautiful. Keanu Reeves is a bit of a joke, as usual.

Mine too.

One of mine at least. The original stance regarding religion in general from Sagan's novel is seriously compromised, and yet there remains much to think about. As far as movies go, this possibly comes closest to the wonder of science as shown in Sagan's own series Cosmos. Plus Jodie Foster's performance is fantastic (and John Hurt is cool as well).

I love it, and while it's been years since I last saw it (there doesn't seem to be a decent Blu release yet?), I don't feel guilty about it. As you said, it's pretty close to the book, Oldman is awesome, the score works extremely well, and the photography and overlay effects are beautiful. Keanu Reeves is a bit of a joke, as usual.

It's easily my favorite Dracula (Herzog's is pretty interesting as well). i tried to get through the Hammer films. Must be a nostalgia-required kind of thing. They were a chore to sit through

But if you think Keanu is awful in the theatrical cut, check his performance in this deleted scene (starting at the 4 min 25 seconds mark)

Man of Steel

"you're a monster, zod, and I'm going to stop you". really? zzzzz. haven't I seen this film before? like 1000 times? sure feels like it.

6/10

:music: What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World? (this is gonna be my new favorite runmyassoffonthetreadmill-cue, so for that, hans, I thank you!)

Cf. my "I'm so tired" rant in the review I wrote for it. Same basic angle.

This one was long one of my favorites as well (though I haven't watched it in years either). I mostly loved the craftsmanship of it. I saw Coppola and his son, Roman, at a convention just before the film's release. Roman had done the effects for the film, and he discussed how they didn't use any modern SPFX techniques. Everything you see comes from very old-school filmmaking—like, 30s and 40s old school: mirrors, double-exposures, distraction and illusion, that sort of thing. I thought it greatly enhanced the period milieu of the movie.

I dunno, I just always liked the thing.

- Uni

It's a movie, that a bit like Dune, it falters a bit dramatically and as whole, but has so much personality and is so idiosyncratic, that it garners my admiration

I'm not a huge fan of Nosferatu, there are many better films. I'm still partial to Lugosi's and the Spanish version.

The spanish version seemed much more lively. I saw the Coppola version the last time in 1992 in cinema and had all but forgotten about it. I find it curious that so many here say it's 'close' to the novel. For me, it's the antithesis starting with Reeves arriving in Romania - the hooded figure appears with all those hilarious wolf howls on the soundtrack etc. It seems to fly on a totally different plane than what my imagination took of Stoker's moody novel, it's a comic nightmare. And it seriously begs the question if you accept Mina hanging around with a debonair stranger while being engaged to Reeves. THAT is certainly not happening in Stoker's late 19th century world (to cite one of the things that stank to high heaven).

There were some great art deco and costume things in it, and the effects certainly are impressive for early 90's, though.

Thanks Alice. I feel the same way. Same old movie. Blah blah

That's weird. I keep reading how it's NOT the old movie. In fact, it's why some become haters (many of the haters already hated it beforehand) and others become fan.

emma-stone-gangster-squad-2_zpsee878623.

Gangster Squad: Didn't really work. It's the new Dick Tracy (Warren Beatty) and that movie didn't really work either. 5/10

Man of Steel

6/10

Cf. my "I'm so tired" rant in the review I wrote for it. Same basic angle.

I don't read the man of steel thread... link your review!

Alice wasn't saying it was the same as the old superman. She was saying it's the same old plot. Aliens. Mass destruction. It's iD4 all over again.

And I agree

It's dumb. 2001 ASO is brilliant.

Godzilla, Independence Day, The Patriot, 10.000 B.C., 2012, ... All Emmerich's movies are big and dumb.

Its the Transformers films, but with Superman!

I'm sure it's not the same.

But if you think Keanu is awful in the theatrical cut, check his performance in this deleted scene (starting at the 4 min 25 seconds mark)

:D

Is his accent supposed to be british? Though he fits the circus feel somehow this way...

Its the Transformers films, but with Superman!

I'm sure it's not the same.

Hate to break it to you Alex, but it all points to your idol being a one-trick pony. Not that I'm complaining (I like Man of Steel). The folks here did their best to warn you.

there is no evidence he wants to make quality coherent films.

I find Watchmen to be unwatchable, it's a piece of shit IMHO, Dawn of the Dead was eh, it's really a poor remake.

I admit my Sucker Punch BR has yet to be inserted into the player.

Dave likes Watchmen though.

I wasn't asking about whether or not you liked the films, I was asking if you found them incoherent.