What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's the same kind of dialog too, not to mention the resemblance between Dr. Schultz and Col. Hans Landa ... All this it's what makes these two films so similar (experience-wise). In fact, Tarantino is aware of the similarities and says the two might be part of some kind of trilogy.

What didn't you like about Basterds?

And if you liked his first 5 films but didn't like his 6th, why would you stop watching the rest altogether instead of giving the 7th a chance in hopes that the 6th was a fluke?

That's kinda era 2 of QT

Era 1: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown

Era 2: Kill Bill, Grindhouse

Era 3: Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained

I do agree his voice does shine through all his work, he just seems to be re-inventing himself every 8 years or so. But its in a good way, and I like all his movies.

what about Tarantino's work on The Golden Girls???

What didn't you like about Basterds?

And if you liked his first 5 films but didn't like his 6th, why would you stop watching the rest altogether instead of giving the 7th a chance in hopes that the 6th was a fluke?

Just lost interest in his films whatsoever, I guess. Tarantino seems to be a victim of Tarantino style. The formula is tired. My favourite film of his is Jackie Brown.

But... maybe I'm wrong.

Karol

I've not seen this one yet. Skipped it at the time it was released. Tarantino lost me with Inglourious Basterds.

Karol

I haven't seen it yet either, but I thought Inglorious was Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction.

It's not what you're hoping for though, Alex. Or were you always a fan of loud action extravaganzas? Although this one does have a soul (if that makes a difference).

Ren and I are mad at him.

I picked up tickets for the World War Z and there were "literally" a brazillian kids seeing monster university. Our local theatre has a nasty habit of not having a tickets only line, and since the Monster U and WWZ are starting 5 minutes apart this afternoon I did not want to fight a crowd to get tickets and if we can't get popcorn and drinks no biggie we'll go eat somewhere afterwards.

Nope, I couldn't disagree with that person anymore if I tried. The pub's sort are anti cinema to me.

And "action extravaganza" wasn't meant in the unfavourable sense. Quite the opposite.

Yes, even though he occasionally overdoes it (he wants to turn the knob to 11 while the scale only goes to 10) .

"Yeah, but tha's go' eleven."

- Uni

Nope, I couldn't disagree with that person anymore if I tried. The pub's sort are anti cinema to me.

And "action extravaganza" wasn't meant in the unfavourable sense. Quite the opposite.

That's because your idea of 'cinema' is sitting in the nearest multiplex getting gangbanged by video games posing as movies.

Of course, the original is still untouchable.

no doubt, but MOS has a right to have it's own place in the sun, even not being worth a damn.

Of course, the original is still untouchable.

I saw the 1978 film a while ago. It moved me in a way that the new one could never do.

But Man Of Steel is not a replacement of that movie. It's still there for me too watch whenever i want too.

I'm glad that after 4 botched up attempts we finally have another Superman movie I can watch without either being bored, or have to use my "campy guilty pleasure" mindframe.

So what is it about MOS that the commonality doesn't get, Steef?

all movies are now Transformers movies???

Man Of Steel

In short: I liked it! It was the kind of perfect summer blockbuster I like - Somewhere between the ones that have decent characters and action scenes but the plots are so horrible I don't care, and the ones where story is good but the creative team can't make a compelling final product. Man Of Steel's story is good, the characters are defined enough, and the action scenes are all spectacular! The entire cast is great, the directing by Zack Snyder was great, and I liked the look, pacing, and structure of the film as well (other than perhaps the Krypton sequence)

I post many more thoughts here: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16032&p=912074

Wait, so we're dual posting our reviews in both threads then? Okay:

No, nobody did that actually.

Interesting to see how this thing polarizes people's opinions.

Karol

Yes - everyone seems to either love it or hate it. I think all of Snyder's movies are that way?

Really if you can ignore the originals and just enjoy it as it's own thing, and don't mind extended action sequences, I don't see what's so hard to like about it.

I wonder how the people who don't like it would feel if they had never seen a Superman movie or show or comic and just sat down and watched this with an empty slate would like it.

If you go through the forums' history, you'll see I've been championing the film right from the start - the choice of director, casting, costume, approach, trailers, even Zimmer...

Karol

it's right to exist is undeniable. as is it's right to suck ass which sadly it did.

Yeah, but doesn't BloodBoal tend to hate most movies he reads up on to within an inch of their lives? I mean, he finds out information before it's even been invented!

What plot holes are in Man Of Steel? (Feel free to reply in the MOS thread instead of here)

Experience wise, the film feels very much like Inglorious Basterds. Yes, it's Tarantino behind the typewriter! Nevertheless, it's good even though it's too long.

My thoughts exactly! It's not bad per se, but Inglorious and Django are definitely not made by the same Tarantino that made Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown.

Interesting. I liked Django, but was somewhat underwhelmed by it after Basterds. The opening sequence of that had such a strong Leone touch that I declared I want Tarantino to do a western, and when he actually did make one next, it felt less western-ish to me than IB had.

More than that, I was missing a clear narrative thread. Most of the time, I simply didn't know where it was going. Basterds, which I consider at least one of Tarantino's best films, and one of the best of recent years, despite its episodic nature, is less all over the place than Django. It has a wide spectrum of ideas and styles (all surprisingly well done - the German parts seem convincingly German, same goes for the French), and yet it becomes a unified whole, with the strongest moments really leaving lasting impressions without ceasing to be parts of that whole first. Django, to me, felt more like a collection of great moments with good filler stuff in between.

I'm curious as to what you found to be the great moments and the good filler. I know I *enjoyed* the earlier material of Django and Schultz's developing relationship more than the later material.

I don't remember it all that well. But basically all the notable scenes were "moments". It's just that they felt rather disjointed to me, bridged by material that didn't fully bind them together. The best sequence of the film started with the Goldsmith piece and lasted until the end of the DiCaprio sequence. What came after was clearly necessary, but didn't really seem to fit in. I remember reading a lot of complaints about that at the time, but I thought just the same thing about much of the first third as well.

I do wonder if all this might be connected to the fact that this was the first Tarantino film not edited by Sally Menke, but at the same time I feel it was mostly a script thing.

I've not seen this one yet. Skipped it at the time it was released. Tarantino lost me with Inglourious Basterds.

Karol

I haven't seen it yet either, but I thought Inglorious was Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction.

Same here.

World War Z was very good. A satisfying film experience something zack didn't deliver.

Inglorious Basterds is my favourite of his.

I've seen Pulp Fiction three times, the first time I thought it was awesome, the next two it became rather less interesting.

Pulp Fiction is a rare kind of film that never gets old no matter how many times you watch it.

Reservoir Dogs [in HD]

resdogsbdcap9_original_zpsc80f13e0.jpg

The characteristic dialog was already there, but like Jackie Brown, the tone is a lot more natural than Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained. Not as smoothly/professionally made as Tarantino's subsequential movies but it's not a big issue. 9/10

Alex