What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

If only Mola Ram had gotten a decent death...I like my Indy films to end with the villian being destroyed in grotesque, supernatural ways. :P

Hey, Mola Ram got supernatural and nasty burns to his fingers when he touched the Shivalinga for the last time before he fell.

Snore! I'll take facial melting, gory explosions, implosive mummification, or instant decomposition any day.

You should never underestimate the pain caused by sacred relics to the sensitive evil cult leader finger tips.

I actually watched Temple last night on cable. The general insanity of this movie is one of the things I love about it. There's a lightheartedness and general lack of respect for basic logic that was there from the beginning in Raiders. It's just amped up to a more extreme level in Doom. So for instance, Raiders has the door closing on Indy when he's hanging off the cliff in the idol temple. It clearly would have closed on him, but it magically retracts to allow him to exit once he's pulled himself up. Now, in Temple of Doom you have the spike room going on and on for like 5 minutes when it obviously should have killed them within seconds. Also, Indy pinned down on the conveyor belt seemingly inches from the rock crusher. Once he's sprung back to life. he's like 20 feet away. The great thing is how none of this matters.

Its huge excess and carefree spirit is certainly part of the charm, but it's also what places it some rungs down the ladder from Raiders - which is a far tighter and supremely more measured experience than the in-your-face crassness of Temple of Doom. But then, sometimes the rowdy younger sibling can be just the antidote, should the mood take me.

Insomnia

It's a very well made film. Obviously, probably the least striking entry under Nolan's belt (as he was only a director for hire), but his fingerprints are all over it. I kind of wish he made something smaller after the last Batman. Robin Williams is very good in the film.

Karol

give me a fucking break. nothing I said is hyperbole, nor bullshit. TOD is one of the most beautifully shot SS films that's obvious to anyone not blind. Are you BLIND Great Eye? Slocombe's cinematography if fantastic. It's definately not a retread of Raiders like LC. True or false quint? And Mola Ram is a wonderously villainous, he's definately not as deadly dull as the villain in LC. It is innovatively shot, that's a simple fact. Today with CGI it would be much easier but in 83 they didn't have CGI, so they found a way, a very clever way.

Just because you don't care enough for the film to admit it, nothing I said was out of line and look up the word hyperbole so when you use it next time it might be appropriate. LC is endlessly turnoffable.

You seem to be mistaking me for someone who dislikes ToD, since your passion when defending it is both vehement and strangely over the top - like a mother standing up for her naughty child. FYI ToD remains one of my all time favourite escapist movie's. But I'm still able to step back and view it objectively, see and appreciate its flaws; something you have proven yourself incapable of time and time again - it's the world according to Joey, in your strictly subjective funnel-vision pov. A world where villains always wear black so you don't get confused.

People need to be "honest" about Last Crusade? What do you mean? You want them to lie? Please, keep your cranky arrogance out of it. You're confusing your views with some kind of universal truth, again. Give us a fucking break.

Now, this all leaves one big question. Who do you hate more - Least Crusade or David Fincher? ;)

fincher. If you'd paid attention which clearly you haven't I never said I hated Least Crusade, I'm just extremely disappointed at it's many failings.

but there is no tunnel vision on me viewing TOD, sorry data you must be blind as a bat, Raiders is nice but TOD is even more beautifully shot than Raiders and not surprising as it's got an even more beautiful landscape.

I love Raiders and Crusade, but as far as the photography goes, TOD seems to have captured most of the coolest shots of Indy himself in the trilogy. Let's see: sitting down in the tux with the white jacket, the grin when he shoots the henchman in the car chase, "nice try, Lao Che", surrounded by the villagers, the "shh" thing when Shorty blabs over the Shaman (which River Phoenix did in LC), on the elephant with the lens flare after Willie is thrown in the mud, "don't come up here" part (somehow the best of the closeups), holding the stones, facing down the guard during the slave children crusade, swinging into the mine cart, holding the sword up to catch the sun next to the bridge with the torn shirt and every shot of him on the bridge with the machete. Yes, I'm certain this is the coolest Indiana Jones has ever been and the cinematography had something to do with that.

Insomnia

It's a very well made film. Obviously, probably the least striking entry under Nolan's belt (as he was only a director for hire), but his fingerprints are all over it. I kind of wish he made something smaller after the last Batman. Robin Williams is very good in the film.

Karol

It's his best after Memento.

You seem to be mistaking me for someone who dislikes ToD, since your passion when defending it is both vehement and strangely over the top - like a mother standing up for her naughty child. FYI ToD remains one of my all time favourite escapist movie's. But I'm still able to step back and view it objectively, see and appreciate its flaws; something you have proven yourself incapable of time and time again - it's the world according to Joey, in your strictly subjective funnel-vision pov. A world where villains always wear black so you don't get confused.

People need to be "honest" about Last Crusade? What do you mean? You want them to lie? Please, keep your cranky arrogance out of it. You're confusing your views with some kind of universal truth, again. Give us a fucking break.

Now, this all leaves one big question. Who do you hate more - Least Crusade or David Fincher? ;)

fincher. If you'd paid attention which clearly you haven't I never said I hated Least Crusade, I'm just extremely disappointed at it's many failings.

but there is no tunnel vision on me viewing TOD, sorry data you must be blind as a bat, Raiders is nice but TOD is even more beautifully shot than Raiders and not surprising as it's got an even more beautiful landscape.

I'm sorry, this made me laugh. :lol:

Insomnia

Obviously, probably the least striking entry under Nolan's belt (as he was only a director for hire), ...

Indeed. To me, there's something very unimpressive about Insomnia, almost a TV movie. It was just one of the many movies that year. I've seen it twice but it didn't leave any imprints behind. You see it and you move on.

Alex

Ignoramous! You compared ToD to LC, not I. Do not put words into my mouth.

I only quoted one of your offensive posts, but you guys were talking about ToD and LC!

give me a fucking break. nothing I said is hyperbole, nor bullshit. TOD is one of the most beautifully shot SS films that's obvious to anyone not blind. Are you BLIND Great Eye? Slocombe's cinematography if fantastic. It's definately not a retread of Raiders like LC. True or false quint? And Mola Ram is a wonderously villainous, he's definately not as deadly dull as the villain in LC. It is innovatively shot, that's a simple fact. Today with CGI it would be much easier but in 83 they didn't have CGI, so they found a way, a very clever way.

Just because you don't care enough for the film to admit it, nothing I said was out of line and look up the word hyperbole so when you use it next time it might be appropriate. LC is endlessly turnoffable.

Now, this all leaves one big question. Who do you hate more - Last Crusade or David Fincher? ;)

Primo: I just chanced on this as it was in the TV. A movie version of a theatrical one man play it tells of a story of Italian Jew Primo Levi who ends up in Auswitch in 1944. The whole story is told by Primo as a monologue of sorts recounting his experiences from the time of his capture to the liberation of the camp, played here with excellence and nuace by Anthony Sher. Filmed in minimalistic sets that bring to mind modern theatrical productions, the performance of the actor, lighting, sound effects and music create a mezmerising 80 minute experience. It is an eye-witness account of both the unbelievable evil and simple good of humanity in small, moving, powerful and entrancing in its austere setting and sharp focus on the actor and viewer participation. Anthony Sher's performance has honesty, simplicity and dramaticism from the start and it keeps you in the grip of this monologue from the first moment to the last. A moving and delightful surprise.

Yeah I can see how a having the villain fall hundreds of feet and be devoured by blood thirsty crocodiles might be a little disappointing. :P

If there were shots of him hitting the water and actually being devoured by said bloodthirsty crocodiles, I might feel a little differently, but all the deaths by crocodile feel incredibly lame, because all you get is shots of people falling, followed by a cut away, and then you see bits of clothing being ripped apart in the water. Boring!

William Shakespeare's Thor

Branagh taking this assignment seemed odd, But the end result does make some sense.

As a Shakespearean actor/director, Kenneth Branagh infuses this comic book film with a sense of the dramatic. It plays like a regal drama at times.

The film is divided in two parts. Asgard, with it's pomp and majesty. Noble warrior doing noble things, but also backstabbing plots in an impressive GCI lanscape.

The earth scenes are a little more grounded, alittle lighter with some nice comedy.

Chris Hemsworth is rather good as the main character. He exudes a cheerful arrogance, He doesn't steal the movie like Robert Downey Jr did in Iron Man, But he doesn't need to.

Portman is good in a rather thankless role. She's in this film because her character was in the comic books. And she makes the most of it.

Tom Hiddleston makes for a good foe, though his motivations get a little muddles near the end.

Strange, the film starts with a huge action scene on an ice world. a rather well stage battle between half a dozen Asgardians and hundreds of ice demons.

The 2 action scenes that play at the end of the movie (the big metal man in the town, and the fight at the bridge) feel underwhelming in comparison.

For me the movie ran a bit out of steam once Thor went back to Asgard. Still overall I think I enjoyed it more then the Ironman films, which were fun mainly because of Robert Downey Jr.

Patrick Doyle does an imitation of a Media Ventures score. Meaning it is probably better then any Media Ventures score ever composed. But that's not so hard to do.

*** out of ****

Funny, I only liked Hopkins. Correction, Hopkins was the only aspect of the film that impressed me. They way he said, "But you're not the king ... you are NOT the king!", was magnificent. Personally, I think a 5/10 is more in line with what the film offers. It doesn't do anything really good but it doesn't do anything really bad either (Okay, I didn't buy into the love interest, so I guess that was bad).

We saw 2 films recently:

Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists (for some reason, called 'Band of Misfits'in the US...)

I loved the voice acting and the screenplay, which while not LOL funny made me smile inside. The story was hardly original, and I felt it actually dragged a little bit on the Queen's boat but it was nicely directed. And the ending got me almost crying with laughter (hint: do not walk out as soon as the credits appear).

The 3D worked fairly well, particularly with the 'at sea' shots, but never got distracting. (my opinion of 3D is that most of it is gimmicky, but when it's used well, it can be amazing).

And last night, The Cabin in the Woods

Short, funny, plenty of scares and had just the right amount of seriousness.

I'm not a horror fan in the 'slasher' style, so I wasn't as scared by that initial 'attack' in the cabin as some would be, but they didn't linger on it. In fact, the movie flew by, because once you get the journey stuff out the way, and include the end credits, the body of the film can't be much more than an hour, and not a minute is wasted.

I would urge anyone planning to see this to avoid all trailers. I saw the longer trailer a few weeks ago before Hunger Games, and luckily the 'spoiler' stuff in that is actually revealed in the first 10 mins. Whereas the second trailer has a few shots at the end which strongly imply two major plot points.

It's not a twist movie in the usual sense, because you're fed more and more information as the movie goes on. But what powers the film is a combination of watching these people suffering, while also not knowing the exact nature of why they have to go through it. I was expecting the ending to go on a bit, but it didn't, and took a direction that you could only get away with in a horror film like this.

Cabin In The Woods ... That's Whedon, right? I've heard good things about it ... must rent it one of these days.

I'm not surprised. It's not really an Alexcremers film. Did your boy like it?

Not really.

I wish everything took place in Thorville (Askard?) and that the tone was dramatic all the way through. Then again, we already have Titus. ;)

Alex

Thorville, sounds like the headquarters of resistance against C&C soundtrack releases.

William Shakespeare's Thor? Don't be daft.

Anyway, sounds like you enjoyed it even more than myself. It was really good fun at the cinema,my girlfriend in particular loved it. I wonder why...

No, it's not! It's like saying "Tyrell Crop" instead of "Tyrell Corp"! That's not the same, is it?

Not really, your example is one of who doesn't know how to write the abbreviation of the word "corporation".

Thorville, sounds like the headquarters of resistance against C&C soundtrack releases.

Thorheim sounds better. Sounds more dramatic.

In The Land Of Thorheim, Where The Shadows Lie

But mine was meant to be a reference to Smallville. ;)

Captain America: The First Avenger

Chris Evans (the actor, not the BBC Radio 2 DJ) is rather good here. The role of Captain America requires someone who can play a rather corny sense of duty and patriotism straight, and he pulls it of. The origin story takes up about half the film. Puny asthmatic Steve Rogers signs up for an experimental program. Convinces the top brass that he is worthy, because of his good heart, dedication and patriotism and get's some scientifically dubious shit injected in him, get zapped with a lot of electricity and suddenly he is huge and bulky.

How Steve finds himself as a hero is the most interesting part of the film. After he actually becomes Captain America the story becomes mostly all-out action.

Hugo Weaving became famous as Agent Smith. This time he plays Johann Schmidt, a villainous "worse then Nazi" type with a big red face. The role itself is not very interesting. But Weaving is good in looking particulary fierce and dangerous, and I liked his German accent.

Most of Captain America's buddies are not very distinctive, apart from the beautiful Haley Atwell, Like Nathalie Portman in Thor she has a pretty thankless role though.

After the first hour, the movie felt like it should already be ending. They seem to have concentrated mostly on the origin story, and getting Captain America frozen so he can be in The Avengers. The rest feels like filler recycled from a dozen james Bond films.

Not without it's entertainment value though. The direction is solid. Silvestri's music actually sounds like something else then a Media Ventures clone. (rare for Marvel)

Captain America: The First Avenger

Chris Evans (the actor, not the BBC Radio 2 DJ) is rather good here. The role of Captain America requires someone who can play a rather corny sense of duty and patriotism straight, and he pulls it of. The origin story takes up about half the film. Puny asthmatic Steve Rogers signs up for an experimental program. Convinces the top brass that he is worthy, because of his good heart, dedication and patriotism and get's some scientifically dubious shit injected in him, get zapped with a lot of electricity and suddenly he is huge and bulky.

How Steve finds himself as a hero is the most interesting part of the film. After he actually becomes Captain America the story becomes mostly all-out action.

Hugo Weaving became famous as Agent Smith. This time he plays Johann Schmidt, a villainous "worse then Nazi" type with a big red face. The role itself is not very interesting. But Weaving is good in looking particulary fierce and dangerous, and I liked his German accent.

Most of Captain America's buddies are not very distinctive, apart from the beautiful Haley Atwell, Like Nathalie Portman in Thor she has a pretty thankless role though.

After the first hour, the movie felt like it should already be ending. They seem to have concentrated mostly on the origin story, and getting Captain America frozen so he can be in The Avengers. The rest feels like filler recycled from a dozen james Bond films.

Not without it's entertainment value though. The direction is solid. Silvestri's music actually sounds like something else then a Media Ventures clone. (rare for Marvel)

Great review, I agree completely.

Wow! Cremers making a reference to Smallville? And I thought I'd seen it all!

Smallville, Clark Kent's hometown, not the TV series. Sigh, why would "Thorville" be a reference to the TV series?!

Alex loves Superman The Movie.

Who doesn't? I mean, is there another comic book movie where the superhero is as charismatic as Christopher Reeve? Although truth be told, I prefer the part of the movie where he doesn't appear in (psst, the Smallville act).

Alex

In some ways that's my favourite part. I just love its rustic authenticity and warmth, and that absolutely gorgeous sweeping crane shot which goes up, up and away to JW's stirring music. The whole Kent homestead segment has a dreamy Americana quality, like an era of simpler times.

The Cabin In The Woods

Whedon and Goddard answer the biggest mystery of the universe. Why do all horror movies suck? Great satire, and David Julyan's score is as genre defying as the script. Melody in a horror film? :o

The Cabin In The Woods

Whedon and Goddard answer the biggest mystery of the universe. Why do all horror movies suck? Great satire, and David Julyan's score is as genre defying as the script. Melody in a horror film? :o

I know, I was amazed at how good the music was - far from the typical *bang*-*smash* style of horror scores.

And we're having to wait a whole week more for Varese to release the score. Why is it so hard to release them simultaneously?

I thought it was more entertaining than all the other Marvel films combined. Not in a filmmaking sense, but purely as a adolescent rollercoaster ride. Big, silly, corny and not even trying to disguise that. Hope it isn't too much for you to bear, Alex.

Karol

The trailer tell me everything about the films plot.

Some danger is threatening the planet. Sam Jackson assembles a team to counter the threat. This team does not get along. But slowly they learn to set aside their differences for a common goal.

In the end the team will destroy the threat....

Some danger is threatening the planet. Sam Jackson assembles a team to counter the threat. This team does not get along. But slowly they learn to set aside their differences for a common goal.

You don't even need to see the trailer to know that!

Spoiler tags, please!

Karol