What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I recently watched The Godfather part II as well. It must have been something like my fourth or fifth viewing, but it was the first time it really clicked with me. I love its sprawling scope, its style, its characters. I'll really have to see it again to pick it apart. Great stuff.

As for recent cinema visits...

Super 8

I loved this movie to death for the first 90 minutes or so, but it sure takes its time to get to the monster. When it finally does, it almost feels like too little, too late. Unfortunately, the movie fumbles massively in the last ten minutes with an ending that makes very little sense narratively speaking. It's such a shame, because I was having one of the best cinema experiences in a long time, until the final 10 minutes or so fucked it all up. It had me leaving the theater confused and disappointed. Pity. Make sure you stay until the credits finish, though. There's some great stuff during the end credits that'll be particularly enjoyable for anyone with an interest in filmmaking.

The Debt

This film has many, many interesting elements, but unfortunately in the end, they don't combine into something that feels like a single unity. There's a number of problems with this film, too many for me to list here. There's a good film buried in here somewhere, but the end result is a disjointed mess. Makes me want to see the original Israeli version.

My favorite shot is when Orson Welle's character is revealed. Such a perfect combination of music and image.

That's one unforgettable shot, indeed. So much charisma on the face of Welles, never seen that before or since. If there was such a thing as a top 10 of 'pure moments of movie magic', this would be most certainly in it.

I recently watched The Godfather part II as well. It must have been something like my fourth or fifth viewing, but it was the first time it really clicked with me. I love its sprawling scope, its style, its characters. I'll really have to see it again to pick it apart. Great stuff.

That seem to be most people's experience, even back in 74. Initial buzz was that Copolla blew it. And it ended up nominated for loads of awards.

I was always more drawn to the linear style of the first movie. But after five or six viewings, watching The Godfather feels like you're going through the motions again (despite still being a great experience). With Part II, I somehow feel like I've just scratched the surface.

Funny, I've always felt that Godfather part II was the superior film. The epic scope of the narrative/switching between different eras was really quite unheard of at the time. I can't think of any movie prior to Godfather part II that constantly switched back and forth between different eras like that. The ending of part II may be a little subtler than part I (part I, door closing symbolically on Diane Keaton's character, part II Michael sitting silently under a tree), but on reflection the ending of part II is much darker. The cold, dead look in Michael's eyes at the end of part II is incredibly chilling as he reflects without emotion on the awful thing he has just done.

It's what I would describe as "mainstream masterpiece". Same with Pulp Fiction. The kind of film that is out there in the public conciousness and is sort of a phenomenon, but there are tons of better stuff out there. For example, I'd say The Godfather is pretty lame as compared to, say, Chinatown or Coppola's own The Conversation.

Karol - who enjoys both The Godfather films

Because, apart from being a piece of great cinema (technically) and excellent genre film, it has nothing meaningful to say. It's like Star Wars in a way. Chinatown has that extra layer. It's a great noir film, but you also have that mythical Oedpius-like thing going on underneath, which is what gives it its personality, I think.

Karol

You (Stefancos) seem to imply that I'm not a big fan of The Godfather because it's popular. That is so not me. Yes, I don't care for Harry Potter but that doesn't mean I don't like popular films.

For example, I'd say The Godfather is pretty lame as compared to, say, Chinatown or Coppola's own The Conversation.

Well, I'm not gonna say it's lame but I do enjoy The Conversation a great deal more, but it's been ages ago since I've seen it. I wanna see it again!

A View To A Kill: Hmm, Tanya Roberts ... I would do her ... even in public!

roger-moore-tanya-roberts-and-grace-jones-on-the-set-of-the-film-a-view-to-a-kill-august-1984.jpg

Tanya Roberts ... James Stock ... Grace Jones

The Social Network: I had a real great time with a movie that in the end is just another biopic. The last one I saw was Milk but that one didn't gratify me all that much. Damn, Jeff Cronenweth is such a great cinematographer! The highlight of the movie has to be that whole rowing competiton scene (the most quiet scene of the film?). Ya think it was manipulated with the computer ? Doesn't matter, it looked great! Yes, Justin Timberlake gave another memorable performance in spite of that high-pitched voice of his . The Social Network is not a movie that I shall remember on my deathbed but it's very well made entertainment, it's got fine dialogue, a near perfect cast, the direction is precise, Fincher doesn't manipulate the audience too much, and the photography of Jeff Cronenweth (son of the late Jordan Cronenweth) is pure genius. Those who think A King's Speech was the better Oscar film are plain wrong.

I think so ... unless its purpose is to give you a good time at the movies. Of course, not everyone will be entertained by it. Some will say that it's a cold film but that's because the story and the characters aren't glamourized. It's a different kind of The American Dream, if you know what I mean.

I find it cold because it is neither a true factual story nor an interesting made-up story. It kind goes nowhere. They try to shoot it in an interesting way, give some meaty dialogue, even score it out of the box. But the problem is with the core of it all. I just don't care for anything happening in it. I don't have to "like" characters, but the thing is... I can't be bothered to even try to understand them.

Karol

Where does it have to go? Another moral lesson? It's just a movie about the beginning of something big ... It's about how a not very original idea led to a guy becoming the youngest billionaire in the world. I'm already thankful that I'm entertained by what I'm seeing or hearing. BTW, I could understand the main character and his motives. I don't think he was all that jerkish (Was he calculated? Oh, yes!). It's not really an anti-Zuckerberg film. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned from this after all: If you want to make it to the top, don't wait for the other guys (even your friends) to catch up with you. Well, something like that ... I'm sure someone here will be able to phrase it better.

Alex

Don't look at me, I don't care about Facebook. People say to dullest things there (like "Carpe Diem!"). What are they hoping to achieve? I just don't get it. Maybe you have to be social-minded to see the whole purpose of it. ;)

I'm thinking of deleting my account several times a week, so I know what you mean. But then I don't for it is one of the easiest way to communicate with people who are far away from you. Well, one of the easiest.

Karol

Facebook is very useful in that regard. I'm no longer a member there now, though. Still, I disagree with Zucker. I'm sure my vast number of aunts who are constantly chatting on there since they're spread out across the country and world have very little desire to have sex with each other.

Jack Nicholson put it best:

"If men are honest, everything they do and everywhere they go is for a chance to see women."

Also, nice to have you back, Alex.

Well, I do prefer to go to a place where the chance of beautiful women roaming around is existent.

Well, thank you, but I didn't go anywhere ... it was the site that went.

Nearly 30 million dollars says 3D isn't dead.

Lion King in 3D top movie of the week. Wow. It's among my least favorite Disney traditional cartoons, absolutely no soul.

Not only are you apparently being dead serious but you're also being a repugnant smart arse prick, today.

And besides, what is there to be dead serious about anyway? What - because you said Lion King is Shakespearean? Ooo I marvel at your insight! I know the story, his influence is blatantly apparent. Bloody Captain Obvious over there.

It's caffeine that's doing that.

Not only are you apparently being dead serious but you're also being a repugnant smart arse prick, today.

And besides, what is there to be dead serious about anyway? What - because you said Lion King is Shakespearean? Ooo I marvel at your insight! I know the story, his influence is blatantly apparent. Bloody Captain Obvious over there.

What did I do to you again?

Karol

Lion King is Star Wars with Animals.

Watching a nasty little horror flick called Bereavement. It's a slasher flick with a bit of torture horror. I'm not a fan of torture horror but I like this movie because it's so damned creepy.

Drive

Wow, what a fantastic film. Not much to complain about. Gosling was great, but Albert Brooks really stuck out as an unsettling performance. The score didn't stick out much, but the song choice was perfect and really helped the film's tone. It's great to see Bryan Cranston get a large role in a more mainstream film. I am hoping for some oscar attention.

Alien: Resurrection. What a piece of shit. Jaunet's style doesn't mesh well with Alien franchise. It feels too much like a parody. Maybe that was the intention, I don't know. It's the first time that I've seen this since the release in 1997 and it isn't any better. The CG Aliens look really fake. The film has three saving graces: Sigourney Weaver (she is the heart of these films, even if they border on ridiculous), Frizzell's score (which I wouldn't want on CD though) and the alien/human hybrid. Absolutely disturbing creature.

Karol