What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 05/09/2017 at 6:22 AM, Fancyarcher said:

Dune - Well it's definitely not a "good film", easily Lynch's worse, it was too long & thudded along, it looked ugly & the blue-screen was poor, but there was some nice visuals, and it had a good cast at least. Um I guess I'm saying I didn't hate it. Great Toto score too. - 6 / 10

No, it's your fault. It's actually scientifically impossible for Lynch to make anything bad.

Body of Lies

It's...okay. The pacing of the movie is nearly perfect. It has to be, because it's the type of movie that should be a boring piece of shit, but it manages to avoid that. Still, there's nothing to distinguish it as a Ridley film. I think Leo works here because he isn't over the top. It's like a significantly toned down version of his character from The Departed, but he and Crowe keep you interested.

Doom

So stoopid but weirdly satisfying. I was expecting awful production values like Resident Evil, but it turned out to look decent and know its limits. And the bit toward the end when it becomes a first person shooter! Awesome!

And this was a relatively early flick for The Rock. His physique seems to have evolved since this movie. Sure he was impressively built even then. But check out the width of his neck in Doom. It looks normal and in proportion to the rest of his body. But today I think his neck is wider than his head!

That man will be President of the United States some day.

X-Men: Apocalypse

I guess these movies are about younger versions now? The last one I saw involved time travel and I fell asleep. This would make Apocalypse the first Marvel funny book movie I have watched a significant portion of in about 10 years. It's weird because Mystique was a one-dimensional background character in the earlier films and it seems here they have attempted to...flesh her out. Are we sure this is the same universe? The broad who plays her I think is a current Hollywood It Girl and I'm not sure if her casting in these films predates that. Certainly in this one, she seems to be around for star power and doesn't do much of anything at all but appear on the screen constantly. Meanwhile, the chick playing the young Jean is fantastic. The Professor didn't come off like a younger version of Patrick Stewart's, and I'm not sure why he lost his hair except that he's supposed to be bald? He plays the Professor like Daniel Radcliffe playing Harry Potter, complete with an awkward scene of him telling the villain he's alone while possessed or something just like in Order of the Phoenix. I guess it's okay to just blatantly rip off recent blockbuster franchise films?

This is basically why I don't watch Marvel movies. It's a crapload of characters, many of which don't speak and I don't care to watch their adventures that consist of going to a military installation in Canada and running away from people, wink/nudge Rogue One-esque fanboy moments that even I can detect and embarrass me, CGI catastrophe finale...

This modern, spineless old little fraction of a man just watched Far and Away.

When I first watched this film, I loved it. When I watched it again last year, I really liked it. Now I like it. I'm not sure whether that's because it's an okayish film or because I'm just a person who either loves or hates something. But anyway... The story is certainly not bad and I especially liked Mr Christie this time. Nicole Kidman delivers a few lines in a really heartbreaking way, especially at the end, but she does tend to overact during her angry passages and her 'modern' behaviour rather annoyed me now. Also, it's really weird that at one point she has a cold, but when they then enter a house and have a romantic private moment a few seconds later, she suddenly doesn't sound ill anymore. And I'm not really a Tom Cruise fan either (and Joseph urgently needs to listen to more music because the only song he seems to know is 'her beautiful eyes'... Oh well. The Irish accents were still chocolate to the ears.

John Williams' score is obviously top-notch. It's probably one of the reasons I liked this movie so much in the first place. The main themes are as memorable as any JW material and the orchestra accompanies the action/events brilliantly. At one point, for instance, Williams brings the ensemble to a halt at the very moment Shannon finally sort of confesses she'd like to live with Joseph and the effect is breathtaking. And then there's that moment Joseph walks away increasingly quickly and Williams literally begins to chase him off with music that plays ever faster. And then I'm not even talking about how he distorts themes to depit both joy and disaster. I'm still not really sure what all the themes stand for, but I've been way too busy worshipping this composer like a God to care and might soon have to start buying his vinyls to decorate the walls... And before I forget, the end credits need mentioning: instead of Williams' wonderful suite, we first get an Enya song that is totally unrelated to all the music that came before it and contains a really awkward transition too. Why? Why truncate Williams' wonderful musical summary to make room for such trash?

This was the first time I watched the film in surround sound. I'd bought the DVD because the audio-described version interfered too much with the wonderful score... and wasted two euros in the process, but at least I won't have to work in a chicken factory to earn them back. The track is extremely undynamic. You NEVER hear the rear channels at all throughout the entire movie and the sound mix is rather off at times too: beautiful music is drowned out by unnecessary loud cheering, but at least the front speakers are used to their full extent.

Nice review, bolle. I agree about the surround spread: I had turn my rear speakers up to full to get anything like decent surround sound. Also the DVD is a 35mm reduction, and not a presentation of the original 70mm print.

A standard biopic type of film, I guess. Really not very good. It's mainly a white guilt film. I feel villainous because of the color of my skin after watching it. I will burn in hell. Thank God Harrison Ford was in it as the only white person in the 1940s to not hate blacks.

The Witches of Eastwick

michelle-tennis-gif.gif?resize=480,216

Throw it away! Let's get rid of the bad movies! We're gonna watch the shit out of this thing. This is fun! Tickle you now! Of course I love this movie. It's so irreverent. My God. Veronica Cartwright yelling in the church. "Whores! Dildos! Anal intercourse!" Michelle Pfeiffer and her 6 blonde kids. Jack Nicholson, who is very nearly The Joker here and has Mr. Homn from Star Trek as his servant, just going on and on about women. You could swear he was Drax. Even Cher is hot. Williams is okay. Now let's all have a cherry.