What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Nerve

Visually dazzling neon noir (is that a thing?) but annoyingly "millennial" with all those floating text message effects. Some thrilling moments but a bit empty. Loses credibility when it goes all Hunger Gamesy at the end.

41 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'd say so. Some people called BLADE RUNNER that, in 1982.

No they called that "neo noir". I said "neon noir". Because it's lit with a lot of neon.

Edit: or it's something. I just made up "neon noir" and then found out someone had already coined it. Some day I'll come up with something original!

The Matrix 

Saw this yesterday, and right from the start I knew that it was one of my favorite movies of all time. The premise fit in really well with a lot of the philosophy I've been reading recently. It was shocking and thought-provoking. And from the opening minutes, I was struck my how terrific Davis' score was. It's probably one of the better in-film first impressions a score has made on me. Perhaps it's because I'd been listening to a lot of John Adams recently. In any case, I listened to the OST right afterward - it didn't seem quite as good as it did on first impression, but it was still good. I got the second film from the library and am looking forward to watching it - and listening to its score - soon. 

37 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

You should check out Titanic and Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace next.

I've seen - and enjoyed - both! 

Presumed Innocent.

Not sure what I could write about this film. The main characters and actors are brilliant. Harrison Ford is of course amazing, you really aren't sure whether he's innocent or not. I also don't know who I liked better, Bonnie Bedelia (wife) or Greta Scacchi (lover). In the end, both were equally charismatic. The funny thing is that, very early on, I suddenly suspected how it was going to end. But then I was suddenly sure I had it completely wrong, and yet it turned out I had been right all along.

Even though John Williams wrote the score, I initially had some misgivings. The first cue sounded so... uncomplicated: how could such a simplistic theme be appropriate for this movie? But then the story unfolded and of course Williams completely nailed it again. The only negative remarks I can still give is that there's a real lack of resemblance between the extremely adequate main theme and the optimistic music towards the ending. Also, Williams handled a sex scene in a way I wasn't expecting and it didn't really work for me.

10 hours ago, Will said:

The Matrix 

Saw this yesterday, and right from the start I knew that it was one of my favorite movies of all time. The premise fit in really well with a lot of the philosophy I've been reading recently. It was shocking and thought-provoking. And from the opening minutes, I was struck my how terrific Davis' score was. It's probably one of the better in-film first impressions a score has made on me. Perhaps it's because I'd been listening to a lot of John Adams recently. In any case, I listened to the OST right afterward - it didn't seem quite as good as it did on first impression, but it was still good. I got the second film from the library and am looking forward to watching it - and listening to its score - soon. 

Your first time seeing it?

Had the chance of re-watching Dr. Strangelove after many years but this time on the big screen and I think I liked it even more than the first time. The public responded really well to the comedy as well, particularly to Sellers. 

Damn fine movie.

The Whales of August

One of those melancholic passage of time films, this one about a pair of little old ladies who each look like they have one foot in the grave. How my mum manages her profession as a geriatric nurse, I have no idea. Lillian Gish performs wonderfully in her swansong, but much of the time I can't understand poor old Bette Davis' rambling line deliveries -- of course that's attributed to her stroke a few years prior. She's no less compelling though.

Decent film about world-weary people, but I'd say it has extremely limited appeal. You can almost smell the scent of lavender that old ladies tend to like spraying around.

Stalked By My Doctor

Midday movie thriller with Eric Roberts as a deranged heart surgeon who suffers from hallucinations becomes obsessed with his teenage patient. Unintentional laughs abound but these tele flicks are surprisingly suspenseful.

Stalked By My Doctor: The Return

After fleeing to Mexico, Roberts follows another unwitting family back to the US and engages in a new strategy to stalk the teenage daughter. And this time his hallucinations are even more elaborate!

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Ahhh, Die Another Day.

In which 007 battles shoddy CGI ... and loses.   

The iceberg sequence might just be the nadir of the entire series, but it's got some good stuff in it.

Best line: "I know all about the UN embargo. I studied at Oxford, and Harvard; majored in western hypocrisy".

Becoming Jane.

I especially liked the first half, but then gradually became tired of the endless, pained and strained romantic conversations filled with elevated language, not to mention the endless 'I'll marry him, I won't marry him' plotline. Anne Hathaway's British accent was nearly perfect, but for me, the absolute highlight was Julie Walters' angry outburst, although Maggie Smith was as good as ever too. Ultimately, I would have enjoyed it more had it been a bit shorter. But it wasn't all doom and gloom: at least the subtitles taught me how some of Austen's annoying and repetitive vocabulary can be translated to contemporary Dutch (pleasing, agreeable, etc.) That will help me perfect my own Pride and Prejudice translation.

There was something curious going on with the score. The composer was obviously inspired by scenes that required energetic and romantic music, but at times, he seemed a bit lost. In one of the first scenes, for example, he gets the general tone and mood of the music right, but it lacks enthusiasm. That problem persists during crucial moments of the story, like Jane kissing her lover. Most of the sad parts were handled well, but even these passages occasionally didn't work for me. What I did like, however, was how the music was used in one particular ballroom scene: as Jane aimlessly wandered through the dancing crowd, the score could only be heard on one channel, but the moment she spotted her lover, the dance music suddenly became louder and was then spread over all the channels.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Those are movies that you see on those women's interest channels, Steef (just like The Bold And The Beautiful or The Days Of Our Lives).

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That makes sense, considered Jerry Drax is very feminine.

Both of you should try out some made for tele stalker flicks. Might make men out of you.

13 hours ago, Richard said:

The iceberg sequence might just be the nadir of the entire series, but it's got some good stuff in it.

Best line: "I know all about the UN embargo. I studied at Oxford, and Harvard; majored in western hypocrisy".

I agree it's not all bad ... they did appear to learn from it that overt, obvious CGI is not the Bond 'way' and subtle usage was the way to go (when we first catch sight of Silva's island in Skyfall, for example).   

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Becoming Jane.

I especially liked the first half, but then gradually became tired of the endless, pained and strained romantic conversations filled with elevated language, not to mention the endless 'I'll marry him, I won't marry him' plotline. Anne Hathaway's British accent was nearly perfect, but for me, the absolute highlight was Julie Walters' angry outburst, although Maggie Smith was as good as ever too. Ultimately, I would have enjoyed it more had it been a bit shorter. But it wasn't all doom and gloom: at least the subtitles taught me how some of Austen's annoying and repetitive vocabulary can be translated to contemporary Dutch (pleasing, agreeable, etc.) That will help me perfect my own Pride and Prejudice translation.

The subtitles?

Keeping Up With the Joneses

I don't normally watch movies like this. It wasn't good. The ingredients were actually there. The cast was decent. There was potential here for something. Anything. The 'Burbs meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Instead, it was a mostly forgettable 90 minutes. It's not funny, so it isn't a comedy, but it isn't anything else either. It's just boring. I said mostly forgettable because I liked the redhead's boobs. A lot. She has a great figure. The new Wonder Woman is in this and the movie perfectly illustrates my main issue with her. She has small boobs and Wonder Woman's supposed to have nice big tits.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mmmm

Although Gal Gadot is certainly attractive, she's more like a concept car. Nice to admire, but you wouldn't really want to own one. Too much maintenance and expensive to run. They're not really meant for the consumer market anyway.

But ING Direct has a lovely little figure. The desirable level of petiteness and big tits, as well as her more sex-ready bod and naughty attitude makes her an ideal specimen. The fact she married Borat suggests how open she'd be.

Sunset Boulevard

After watching that freakshow Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, I had to see the film that partly inspired it. Wasn't disappointed a bit. This is wizard-like filmmaking on display. There's a vast amount of visual symbolism that seems to have informed Mulholland Drive in its scathing and artful critique of the Hollywood machine. And Gloria Swanson was truly something else - maybe from the same planet or at least interstellar neighbourhood as Bette Davis' grotesque creation.

On 28/08/2017 at 5:38 PM, Sally Spectra said:

Paranoia

Tech thriller snore with a raft of miscast actors and predictable script tropes. Didn't do it for me at all. Harrison Ford finally looks like Fester Addams!

Which is the one he plays some well known baseball figure in? He went all out method with his appearance in that, I've been meaning to see it for years. It looks good!

I'm liking the new Drax film commentaries btw.