What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Cowboys vs. Dinosaurs

It's everything you could want from a film. Masculine heroes in Levi's denim jeans with big belt buckles driving around in beat up trucks. Scantily clad college age women with significantly older men. CGI that makes Jurassic Park look like the Whoopi Goldberg dinosaur cartoon.

2677ef42f1a3.jpg

Laura Dern just got 65,000,000% hotter.

The portrayal of women is about as accurate as they come. Early on, there's a completely inexplicable scene where a bunch of babes strip down to swimsuits and stand up to their ankles in an obviously freezing cold lake just before the dinosaurs begin their attack. Later on, dinosaurs kill a bunch of babes doing laundry. In another scene, a babe shows an absurd amount of cleavage while nothing of any real significance even occurs in the scene.

2139947U457.jpg

This lady is probably the best actress I've ever seen. I'm in no way biased.

The Dark Knight is on. You all know my opinion when it comes to Batman films. However, I'm open to switching men and spicing things up every once in a while. Keeps things fresh. I don't particularly like Christian Bale in anything since the year 2000. Batman is no exception. I know I'm totally going against the status quo here, but the casting is all wrong. He's a boring uncharismatic Bruce Wayne and one hell of a lame Batman. It's really astounding how lame he is and how wrong they got it. "Then you're gonna love me" just makes me cringe. Very poor choice of words! This is why they had the Michael Keaton version say next to nothing, but Keaton still sounded badass whenever he said anything. We all know Gary Oldman is a terrific actor, but he's a terrible Commissioner Gordon. Aaron Eckhardt shows up in this one and makes Oldman look even worse. I don't know why he was cast or what his direction was. Also, just want to throw in that the scenes with his family are fucking atrocious. God! What were they thinking?

On that note, Michael Caine as Alfred? You guessed it, awful. Best known for appearing in Jaws: The Revenge, Caine just looks like a fucking idiot in these. All 5 minutes of Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons in Batman v Superman were better than this trilogy. Hmm, what else. Let me think. Well, I like Aaron Eckhardt. Definitely good casting and a memorable appearance, even if it falls apart when his face becomes a cartoon. Ledger is, of course, memorable and good. Bruce Wayne's ex-girlfriend is irritating. I liked the Dawson's Creek chick better, even if she was too melodramatic. Overall, the movie just isn't very fun. It tries to be too serious, ironically, but then there will be a ridiculous cartoon element such as Two Face or the cell phone sonar, which look completely out of place, but they're major plot elements so it's not like you can just overlook them.

In 2008, while we were so focused on KOTCS and TDK, there was this other little movie we dismissed about a guy in a high tech titanium alloy suit that outclassed both of them and marked the birth of an empire. We should have been paying more attention.

MOLLYMAGUIRESLC4.jpg

I probably would have switched the Connery/Harris roles but this pictorial epic about irish coal miner terrorists in the late 1900's that find their foe in a clever company snitch bent on exposing them blowing up mine shafts is indeed very good. Henry Mancini horners things up on the soundtrack. Ironically nowadays the theme of powerless individuals against big faceless corporations has gained some traction again.

11 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

2139947U457.jpg

This lady is probably the best actress I've ever seen. I'm in no way biased.

Would you say you don't mind fake boobs? I'm not a fan, but apparently some blokes like that look.

Something's Gotta Give

Holy shit! I didn't expect to see Diane Keaton's craggy old tits. Has she ever shown them when she was younger? Amanda Peet's boobs would have been better, but a scene of hers when she's in a tanktop indicates she isn't all that well endowed anyway. About the movie, it's a sweet film.

Corrina, Corrina (1994)

This is a movie I remember loving as a kid and decided to watch tonight when I saw it was on HBO Now.  It almost completely holds up; really sweet family film.  Possibly my favorite Whoopi Goldberg performance, Ray Liotta is good, and Tina Majorino in her best child role.

Thomas Newman's score gets only a few small places to be noticeable but it's nice and warm and Newmany.

On 18/08/2017 at 4:25 PM, Quintus said:

I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind tonight and these days there are two things about the film that standout: the still barnstorming light show of the wondrous finale, and the extraordinary scenes of domestic life, often shown from the perspective of the children to raw, noisy and utterly realistic effect. Wrap it all up in a slow yet taut seventies thriller so very typical of the era, and you have an irrefutable classic of a film which holds up to modern scrutiny.

The print needs work though. The blu-ray retains the grain of the original and that's okay, but there's a whole lot of other noise in the image at times, some of it composite artifacts, some not, and that should really have been cleaned up during the last remaster.

The 4K looks very good. Though its obviously a 70's movie.

More lense flares than you can shake a stick at.

To be honest, even though I'm kinda fond of Close Encounters, I don't think it holds up all that well. The score is too big for what we see.

The Graduate

I dunno what to make of this. I don't think I liked it much. Too drawn out with endless music montages of Dustin Hoffman driving over bridges, through tunnels, stalking his cougar's daughter, all just as a lame excuse to play eerie Paul Simon songs to make the record label happy. I understand the gimmick of this movie is a young bloke rooting a significantly older chook, but since I'm approaching Anne Bancroft's age in this film, she doesn't seem that old! And her character turns out to be an aggressive and violent bitch as the film progresses. The wedding finale is hilarious and suddenly a certain Simpsons episode makes sense.

Minority Report

It's frequently entertaining. There's Spielberg having fun here, such as in the scene where Anderton is evading his men and easily defeating them, and when a loony surgeon played by Peter Stormare briefly steals the movie and when the cops release giant spiders of all things into an apartment complex while assuring everyone they're going to be okay. I never understood why in the last half hour, they've already revealed who the culprit is and Anderton's wife becomes a major character out of nowhere. Meanwhile, we don't care anymore. Horrible twist and reconciliation. They keep cutting to Colin Farrell's character who is introduced as an antagonist, but eventually sides with Anderton and this all points to some sort of insane twist or reveal that you hope isn't the one you see coming, but it is, and they just kill Witwer. Eh, whatever. It's obvious something is very wrong with Steven Spielberg at this point, but the worst is yet to come.

8 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Minority Report

It's frequently entertaining. There's Spielberg having fun here, such as in the scene where Anderton is evading his men and easily defeating them, and when a loony surgeon played by Peter Stormare briefly steals the movie and when the cops release giant spiders of all things into an apartment complex while assuring everyone they're going to be okay. I never understood why in the last half hour, they've already revealed who the culprit is and Anderton's wife becomes a major character out of nowhere. Meanwhile, we don't care anymore. Horrible twist and reconciliation. They keep cutting to Colin Farrell's character who is introduced as an antagonist, but eventually sides with Anderton and this all points to some sort of insane twist or reveal that you hope isn't the one you see coming, but it is, and they just kill Witwer. Eh, whatever. It's obvious something is very wrong with Steven Spielberg at this point, but the worst is yet to come.

I think you need a pot prescription

54 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

To be honest, even though I'm kinda fond of Close Encounters, I don't think it holds up all that well. The score is too big for what we see.

What we see is a fuck-off spaceship rising over a fuck-off mountain. Isn't that big enough?

1 hour ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Eh. The score is one of my favorites, however.

It's one of my favorites too.

Oh, you mean Minority Report ...

2 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

The Graduate

I dunno what to make of this. I don't think I liked it much. Too drawn out with endless music montages of Dustin Hoffman driving over bridges, through tunnels, stalking his cougar's daughter, all just as a lame excuse to play eerie Paul Simon songs to make the record label happy. 

The Graduate was a big game changer and the kind of movie I grew up with. It immediately turned me into a Hoffman fan. It's not a movie that I deem endlessly rewatchable though. I bought it on HD years ago but I never came around giving that disc a spin. The images of Hoffman and the music represent the state of mind of the character. Stick to later efforts of Nichols like Regarding Henry, Drax!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm with you on this, Alex.  Both film and score culminate in something great, but the road there is less consistent every time I take it. 

58 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The Graduate was a big game changer and the kind of movie I grew up with.

Mike Nichols: cinematic game-changer :lol:

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm a huge Paul Simon fan.  He's a national treasure for sure.  He and Randy Newman are probably my favorite singer/songwriters of that era.

ONE TRICK PONY

:thumbup:

Simon had 50 tricks, Richard:

220px-PS_50_Ways.jpg

11 hours ago, Richard said:

Mike Nichols: cinematic game-changer :lol:

Yes, Richard, The Graduate broke the mold of what had come before. 

4 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I'm with you on this, Alex.  Both film and score culminate in something great, but the road there is less consistent every time I take it. 

I never even managed to watch this movie all at once. It bored me colossally.

Akira

Distractingly violent at parts, but overall pretty good. Tetsuo would have been a better character if they had established his weak nature better in the beginning in order to emphasize his power and how he was using it. I really liked the scene with the teddy bear and rabbit, especially the shot that goes through the hallways super quick. I give it 8/10

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I never even managed to watch this movie all at once. It bored me colossally.

Watch Twin Peaks series 3 and come back to me. It makes the slow burn of Close Encounters look like The Benny Hill Show.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's one of my favorites too.

Oh, you mean Minority Report ...

The Graduate was a big game changer and the kind of movie I grew up with. It immediately turned me into a Hoffman fan. It's not a movie that I deem endlessly rewatchable though. I bought it on HD years ago but I never came around giving that disc a spin. The images of Hoffman and the music represent the state of mind of the character. Stick to later efforts of Nichols like Regarding Henry, Drax!

His state of mind made me think "Oh grow up, Benjamin!"

I wasn't keen on Regarding Henry. But I liked Primary Colors.

11 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Is it that bad? Darn.

Challenging is the better word. That's how Kyle Maclachlan put it and he's right. But the question is, do you want to be challenged?