First Tintin samples appear on German film music site!!

Erik Woods

Part of it reminded me of KOCS a bit actually..... I guess the end kinda reminds me of The Warehouse....

Well, actually it's reminiscent of -- I will just say it -- "The Map Room: Dawn" too!

:ola:

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of it reminded me of KOCS a bit actually..... I guess the end kinda reminds me of The Warehouse....

Yeah a bit. But it actually sounds very cool, a sure fire revelation moment in the finale of the film. :)

Where is Alexander anyway? He is so pumped about the score, I'm amazed he hasn't said anything in here yet

Williams strikes back :D

compare the last third of Track 17-sample with that Theme.. ;)

(...)Link(...)

It rather reminds me of the theme from "Kronos unveiled" from "The Incredibles"...

Regarding the samples: Promising stuff! The action material we hear sounds more coherent and inspired than certain Williams autopilot from recent years. And I've already got the theme from track 18 stuck in my head :P. It really fits Pope's description (energetic, twists and turns), so I hope to hear more of it in the film!

Yeah, the youtube clip reminded me of In Her Majesty's Secret Service theme. And Giacchino's Kronos also has its nucleus in John Barry.

When the sample links appear on Amazon, will those be the same samples as the ones we have heard? Or do they prepare their own?

Where is Alexander anyway? He is so pumped about the score, I'm amazed he hasn't said anything in here yet

Could be that he is passed out of shock and delight that there are samples now and I am sure that whenever he comes to he will post his excited comments. ;)

I think Amazon has a metric where its like, every sample is x seconds into the track, or something

These samples were clearly selected by a person individually, and come from different areas of the tracks

Does anybody else think it's not a good idea to listen to the samples too often? You don't wanna get overly familiar with a random 30-second portion of each track...

I really don't see the harm in it. I will be extremely glad in the theater each time there comes the passage that I recognize!

Well, it might slightly disrupt the enjoyment of the album...

You might listen to each track, always wondering when the portion that you are already familar with will come.

Dunno, just wondering.

Accordion unexpected?

Really?

Well not so much since Jason has been hinting at it and the subject matter could surely be scored with accordion. To what extent Williams used it is the more unexpected aspect.

Sabrina...

Although it is actually used to play La Vie En Rose.

____

Btw, is The Milanese Nightingale (1:30) an original composition? Or is it based on some known song? I am really getting into this.

OK so I was wrong - that theme appearing in "The Adventure Continues" and "Red Rackham's Curse and The Treasure" is found in one of the original 2009/2010 compositions called "Dueling Pirates". So it could be a generic adventure theme.... or maybe it's Red Rackham's Theme, and the theme I thought was Red Rackham's Theme is actually Sir Francis' Theme? Also, the theme I've been calling "Omar's Theme" appears in the "Duelling Pirates" cue, so maybe that isn't a theme for Omar either... maybe THAT is Red Rackham's Theme, or something else....

I gotta see the movie! :)

OK so I was wrong - that theme appearing in "The Adventure Continues" and "Red Rackham's Curse and The Treasure" is found in one of the original 2009/2010 compositions called "Dueling Pirates". So it could be a generic adventure theme.... :)

It's my favorite theme so far..! ;)

I'll let the nit-picking/whining to other fellows (who seem to be impossible to be pleased by anything by JW). Some of the comments on this thread are some of the most idiotic and lunatic I ever read here.

I think everyone is positive, or at least cautiously optimistic except King Mark. But did you expect any less?

You're right Jay. It's probably just me, I don't know... I was so excited while listening to these previews that my heart sank a little bit when I read some harsh/nit-picky/annoying comments here. It's JW's first film score in THREE YEARS! And it sounds really fresh and exciting! How could anyone be annoyed or disappointed by it?

But then I realize that it's me. I'm not into film music broadly anymore like the majority here, so my parameters and my approach are probably very different. I'm also aware that I'm not that able anymore to go into the fray of deep discussions and arguments here on the boards. I wish I could have the patience and clear-minded approach that Incanus always has in his posts!

I wish I could have the patience and clear-minded approach that Incanus always has in his posts!

:lol2:

I do not find that a bit funny mister!

Infact thanks Maurizio for that. :)

And so I write a long rant to reward you Bloodboal!

This building excitement and now the clips from the score have been a great way to vent the extra anticipation about the score to these threads discussing the music. The speculation is part of the fun and I think it should be conducted rather in a positive tone than negative. Although not all are going to like the music, it is as Maurizio said, it is a different matter all together how you express this. I for one have said it along with other enthusiasts that this new score sounds promising, infact some passages sound marvellously exciting. I think we can take a few nay sayers with all the positive comments to keep a clear head about these things. There is nothing wrong with celebrating a new Williams score, especially after 3 year drought and hearing again the familiar sound has really been exciting, nostalgic and great even if it is just for 30 second snippets. I won't make any far flung comparisons with the modern film scores by other composers or the state of film music but to hear Maestro in full stride in the genre he is so known for and seems to be enjoying is such a joy. And to think War Horse is also on its way so we have Williams goodness to last through the rest of the year.

It is also a bit surprising but in a good way how a new Williams score brings fans together, not necessarily with unified opinion about the work but still appreciating the music and the man. There is fresh topic to discuss. Most of the time it seems to be more about picking the bones of old scores and focusing on pointing out negative things, not enjoying and celebrating one of the great masters of film music. But a new score pumps some new blood into the fandom's veins and we nearly fall over each other to comment on the latest score with the excitement the discovery of new things can instill. This I find to be the most positive aspect of a new score release which I would hope would last longer after we all have had our CDs and the music is out there. It does not have to be the most cerebral essaying but generally positive commenting on the music, something constructive. Which I am seeing quite a lot here at the moment. :)

So can anyone confirm whether "Presenting Bianca Castafiore" is an original piece or from an existing opera work?

Does "Cavatina - Rossini" mean anything to anyone?

So does anyone which cavatina this is?

I wish I could have the patience and clear-minded approach that Incanus always has in his posts!

:lol2:

I do not find that a bit funny mister!

Infact thanks Maurizio for that. :)

I will only say one thing : Preposterous! Ridiculous! Outrageous! Blasphemous! Harrumph, harrumph! Grumble, grumble!

Touché Bloodboal, touché.

So is anybody actually looking whether there are other samples out there...?

Constantly! But no luck yet.

Based on impressions of 30 second samples, as compared with my impressions of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull samples I'm pretty sure this is already at least 1.25x better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

That's not a difficult task mind you. But there is a lot more heart in what I'm hearing than the technical exercise that was Crystal Skull.

While I can't say I'm super excited (it just doesn't happen anymore these days), I find the samples intriguing.

Like the Europpean flair to it. Something that can is very welcome actually give the movie some personality (it helps to distinguish it from his other blockbusters).

Giacchino comparison makes sense only because it is ususally his type of material. Yes, ladies and gentlemen. JW's first proper cartoon.

Karol - who's all for it.

I really enjoy what i hear.

This is John Williams with inspiration and a great deal of creativity. This certainly is no autopilot and like the War Horse trailer piece

a breeze of fresh air after this long draught and after the mostly dissapointing contemporary film scores nowadays.

Favorite so far are the upbeat Snowy's theme statements, the action material and Snowys amazing theme statement in Marlinspike Hall, the epicness of Escape from the Karaboudjan, The Milanese Nightingale, The Clash of the Cranes with the Last Crusade vibe and the theme from The Adventure Continues

Based on impressions of 30 second samples, as compared with my impressions of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull samples I'm pretty sure this is already at least 1.25x better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I thought KOTCS was pretty good too when I heard the samples for the first time. So 1,25x seems about right.

OK, so I have news some people probably aren't going to like!

Listen to the sample of "The Adventure Continues". That's the very beginning of the track. It's also the very beginning of a cue called "Duelling Pirates". Now, listen to the end of the sample of "Red Rackham's Curse and The Treasure". If you listen carefully, you will see that it is the EXACT SAME MUSIC. The exact same recording, even. The reason I didn't recognize this "theme" right away is because... it isn't one. It's music that appears only in the cue "Duelling Pirates". Williams must have liked it so much, he duplicated it at the end of the OST, as he is known to do. The entire track "The Adventure Continues" is likely created by taking existing cues and editing them together. It's possibly also the way the end credits of the movie starts.

So, sorry, but its not a lietmotif theme that you will hear throughout the score :(

Three years and he couldn't even compose an original end credits cue? Crap.

Well, "Tinker-tin" AKA Track 01 "The Adventures Of Tintin" IS an original concert arrangement I assume will be used in the end credits.

We don't know if Track 18 "The Adventure Continues" is something just created for the OST that isn't even in the movie, or if it is the first half of the end credits

And we also don't know if its ENTIRELY editorially created by editing together existing cues OR if it only STARTS with "Duelling Pirates" before moving onto other original music

And we also don't know if its ENTIRELY editorially created by editing together existing cues OR if it only STARTS with "Duelling Pirates" before moving onto other original music

Like I said.

The entire track "The Adventure Continues" is likely created by taking existing cues and editing them together. It's possibly also the way the end credits of the movie starts.

I wish we had "A Thirst for Adventure" instead!

TINTIN SAMPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta say, I'm loving these samples (listening from the JWfan main page).

It really has shades of the first two Indiana Jones films in there, if you ask me. Basket Game, and stuff from TOD.

Yet I'm also hearing shades of Cantina Band, High Wire Stunts from Jurassic Park, Home Alone, E.T, SW Phantom Menace, Harry Potter, and more.

It really does seem to span several of his styles across the years (even the earlier jazz stuff, I suppose).

Melange - Actually looking forward to this JW score (and now the film) after hearing these samples.

OK, so I have news some people probably aren't going to like!

Listen to the sample of "The Adventure Continues". That's the very beginning of the track. It's also the very beginning of a cue called "Duelling Pirates". Now, listen to the end of the sample of "Red Rackham's Curse and The Treasure". If you listen carefully, you will see that it is the EXACT SAME MUSIC. The exact same recording, even. The reason I didn't recognize this "theme" right away is because... it isn't one. It's music that appears only in the cue "Duelling Pirates". Williams must have liked it so much, he duplicated it at the end of the OST, as he is known to do. The entire track "The Adventure Continues" is likely created by taking existing cues and editing them together. It's possibly also the way the end credits of the movie starts.

So, sorry, but its not a lietmotif theme that you will hear throughout the score :(

Damn. It's still great music though, some of the best Williams has written since HP&SS and I'm basing that on a 30 second clip..! ;)