The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Discussion thread

Jay

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the film and I have to say I liked it a lot. More elaborate thoughts on the matter later. :) It was a great youthful adventure yarn with breathless pace and spirit of adventure.

I just saw the film and I have to say I liked it a lot. More elaborate thoughts on the matter later. :) It was a great youthful adventure yarn with breathless pace and spirit of adventure.

Finally! Hope you enjoyed it.

Btw, did you think the music was mixed loudly enough? :P

If I can stand the Dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park I can stand this Snowy.

I love the Dilos! I only found it a pity that JW didn't write any music to accompany that scene where Nedry is attacked...

If I can stand the Dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park I can stand this Snowy.

I love the Dilos! I only found it a pity that JW didn't write any music to accompany that scene where Nedry is attacked...

I'm really glad he didn't, actually. That scene is perfect without music.

I'll just post it here since I know Jason likes to keep Tintin stuff in its designated place:

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn.

The best Spielberg family movie since Jurassic Park. Absolutely loved it and I plan on going a second time with my bro. As of now it's a 4/5 movie, but that might rise. Parts of it are magnificent, the thing really took me by surprise: I was not expecting a Spielberg of this calibre.

I thought the look of the thing in general was simply astonishing. The characters, the world, the incidental details in the background (and foreground). It was indeed a "living world"; not in the way often used to describe Avatar, but rather the believability of this heavily stylised 'universe' feeling cannily real. Unlike the colour-splash of Cameron's alien world, Tintin's aesthetic is altogether much more down-to-earth and human. That the considerable contrast of these fascinating, 'alive' visuals vs. the cartoony, unbelievable events and set-pieces on-screen doesn't completely unravel the movie is a real achievement. Far-fetched and often ridiculous, yes, but not once was I unconvinced by any of it. The execution was outstanding.

No, my only misgiving is in the pacing of the climax, or rather it's hasty, breathless insertion into the film. A breather was definitely needed between

the falcon chase and the crane battle finale.

I found the lack of a little downtime between the two scenes pretty damaging to the climax on the whole, which is a shame.

A mighty shame actually, when one considers the truly phenomenal editing job by Michael Kahn before that point. He was on fire with this, and perhaps in this instance is even more deserving of contribution kudos than John Williams himself - who's score was wonderful in the film, incidentally. Sticking with Kahn though, I was seriously blown away by the pace and structure of the images and storytelling - it was a Tintin comic brought to life - Kahn (and Spielberg) effectively creating an experience akin to the brisk turning of the large pages of a Tintin adventure, the transitions between those pages taking the form of brilliantly imaginative cinematic segues and expositional sleights of hand. Amazing. The pirate battle flashback especially was Spielberg showboating - a thing he's not managed for a while.

The cast was pretty much nailed, with Bell, Serkis and Craig slipping effortlessly into their cartoon roles. I even liked Pegg and Frost as Thompson & Thomson, their little comedy slapstick silliness just about hitting the right notes without ever making eyes roll for the wrong reasons. Good casting then, but there's no real scene-stealing standout in there, which some might argue is a blemish. Nah, in this instance I just got a good sense of balance and likeability from all of the characters throughout.

As an old Tintin reader and just a fan of these sorts of yarns, I couldn't have really asked for a better movie than this.

Yes.

Probably the most interesting moment of the whole film is, tht conversation taking place after the bird chase sequence. The bird chase is a visual exposition on how Tintin doesn't give up: it doesn't matter what's going on, he'll get to the bird. Spielberg loves this about the character.

Which must the reason why they completely break the idea right afterwards. This was bold. This whole part of the film was bold. This is the filmmakers own input entering Hergé's world, commenting on Tintin from the outside. Haddock speaking is the filmmakers remembering Tintin himself what they like about him. It's like a tribute. Then Tintin comes up with a solution and the chase continues.

This has to be one of the most honest films I've seen in a while.

It was a nice little scene and a very welcome one too, but for me it didn't provide enough of a break. After the exhilarating falcon chase I would have appreciated some extended downtime in the build up to the climax at the harbour. They got there too quickly and it resulted in a significant flaw in the otherwise impeccable pacing, for my liking.

You know, in Raiders, there's quite the gap between the desert chase and the opening of the ark...

Yeah, even if the little scene included a "protagonists recapturing momentum" moment, it only lasted for a few seconds. What's even worse, that whole point wasn't conveyed visually (nor the long ellipsis between that and the next scene). It wasn't enough breathing room between the film's two biggest setpieces.

Then again, prolonging the "characters at their lowest" moment would have spoiled the film's optimistic, lighthearted tone.

You know, in Raiders, there's quite the gap between the desert chase and the opening of the ark...

It's not the same structure.

For example, in The Secret of the Unicorn the opening of the ark and the ending scene are the same. In Raiders the opening it's juxtaposed with the end of the villain, while in The Secret of the Unicorn the villain has to be captured manually in order to get to the final scene.

I suppose I view Raiders differently, Chaac. For me, the opening of the ark in Raiders is that movie's grand climax, like the clash of cranes in Tintin and its chief villain finally being apprehended. The reveal of the hat of treasure in Marlinspike I regard merely as a satisfying coda, a delightful little encore before the credits roll, a Tintin Will Return...

Yeah well I can see that. If you center on Haddock, the highest climatic point is either when Rackham goes down the crane and into the ship and it's like "everything's making sense visually", or when Rackham makes the gesture of burning the scrolls and ruining Haddock's intent of trying to do something in his life. The treasure just drives this cool little story,

In Raiders the McGuffin is more important than in any of its sequels or Tintin for that matter. It's a McGuffin-centered thing, the McGuffin even shadows the main character for a while.

You sure are keeping a positive demeanor for your Tintin review BloodBoal. What else is there to say than your tagline at the bottom of the poster. Neat marketing though.

When is the brim stone and sulfur flavoured Tintin review coming out BloodBoal? I am waiting with great anticipation the bile and vitriol you are going to cast on Tintin. Just for the point of view from the other end of the spectrum.

And of course for the in-depth look at Snowy's legs.

Well, i guess so.

You are going to use that brilliant haddock and tintin picture in your review, right? (NO PICKING POCKETS?!!)

Oh wait.

That's for the soundtrack review.

It's going to bomb.

Karol

You can't say that for certain. I hear BloodBoal's CGI reviews have been getting very life like since his last one, the POTC - From Davy Jones' Locker to Zimmer's Dead Chest. The technology has come a long way too. I hear he can replicate real feelings of anger, frustration and bitterness with unprecedented and believable accuracy, the text reflecting them to such a degree that he crosses the uncanny valley with flying colours.

So let me get this straight, Bloodbath didn't like Tintin because, as a purest, he felt it completely disrespected the source material?

Bah! Bloody purists might know everything there is to know about their chosen fandom but comprehend sweet FA about what makes a film great! By far the most irritating thing about said purists is that they [David Brent]conveniently[/David Brent] disregard the line where their subjective knowledge ends and the objective critique begins. As a result their opinions instantly become null and void!

You guys are insane. It can't bomb. The review will be in 3D.

It won't matter. Just from the taglines of the poster, I can already say it's not going to be true to the source material. This review is going to rape the movie.

You better not fail us with that review BloodBoal. Or you should change your username to HyperBoal.

HyperBoal=Hyperbole. Get it? ;)

You better not fail us with that review BloodBoal. Or you should change your username to HyperBoal.

HyperBoal=Hyperbole. Get it? ;)

:lol:

I still haven't seen the movie, living in the U.S. as I do, but I thought Box Office Mojo's prediction of a $115M domestic gross was interesting:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3308&p=.htm

Their rationale was that the source material was not as well-known here in the States, which I agree with. I'd like to think it would do better than "A Christmas Carol" or "The Polar Express," though.

What about between "The Fying Wing" and "Desert Chase"?

OK second viewing. Alone because i could not convience anyone to watch it with me.. im not surrounded by Tintin-spielberg-williams-action film fans :/

So the score is still loud but i liked it now (the loudness). The film and score is comical even in tense moments. It's intended so i dont mind anymore. I loved the flashbacks even more... Oh I noticed one sailor on the unicorn has Alan's face so that his ancestor i suppose. It's just during the scene where haddoque tells 'nestor' to secure the cargo.

Um, any ideas of why tintin is driving an english car in Belgium at the end of the movie? I think not, but are the other cars in europe right-drived in the rest of the film? It would make tintin and hadock british....

Knowing the OST by now, it really adds to the experience, I think i am going to listen to OSTs before film from now on. If not you leave the theather with mixed feelings, the score has no time to grow on you, since you are also distracted by visuals and dialogue.

I noticed some akward motion capture moments...as if the gestures were way too exxagerated, but on other instances the movement is so perfect that is seems they are real people with makeup.

I liked snowy a little more... and even the falcon has some falcon-like movements... but still its 100% uncanny valley.

On the score: this would have been talked to death but i'm not reading all posts lately.

i think that the crane duel has no tracked music... or at least the tracking is intended and williams recorded inserts and sweeteners to make it fit.

In the pursuit of the falcon, i think that as has been said the flutes and the string frenzy segments represent the falcon.

There are some nice bis missing from the ost, lets hope for a FYC promo, please...

There's a ton of tracking in the crane fight portion of the film!!

They tracked huge chunks of Old Enemies Meet over Williams original composition

Specificially, the film itself plays this music:

0:00-0:38 of OST track 16

an unreleased 1:11 cue

0:38-end of OST track 16

And the unreleased 1:11 cue is mostly replaced by Old Enemies Meet in the film... specifically, its

0:12 of the original cue

0:29 of music tracked from Old Enemies Meet

0:18 of the original cue

0:10 of music tracked from Old Enemies Meet

0:02 of the original cue

are you sure?

Wait till you see the film in cinema. It really sounded different orchestration for me. Maybe as i said it had inserts and sweeteners.

Or at least if its a note by note copy, it may have been adapted an recorded as is heard in the film. Like for example Duel of the fates and trade federation march on AOTC.

When you say it sounds "different", what do you mean? Different from what?

Because "Old Enemies Meet' is a cue that is NOT on the OST. It's a cue from the start of the second set of flashbacks...

Luke the film does seem to suggest Tintin lives in England. The Unicorn has a price in Pounds.

There is dutch text on the Karaboudjan newspaper.

Jason, i have a theory that part of Crane Fight part 2 is recycled from Old Enemies meet.

The orchestration is different.

Different from what? The portion of Old Enemies Meet heard in its intended position in the film? The sheet music? The mp3 from the official Uk website?