The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Discussion thread

Jay

Like Maurizio, i thouroughly enjoyed it for what it was: a wonderfully realized spectacle for younger adolescents. I wasn't too taken with the story as such - it seemed to lack any gravitas but since i never read one of the comic books i can't say if there was more to it than 'there's a ton of gold on some sunken ship'-type of stuff.

Which is exactly what makes it enjoyable. I'm for one completely tired of the "fate of the world", "a power greater that could change the course of history", "you have no choice, you are meant to do this" and all that bullshit.

Karol

I guess i have a different definiton of 'gravitas' than you. :sigh:

It is entirely possible to get some interesting subtext into such a story - they at least tried with Haddock's alcoholism. You could reflect on the media (Tintin is after all a reporter) or about the whole kinky dog thing.

Yeah, but that would be Christopher Nolan's Tintin. I don't think that would be needed in kid's film. Which is what it should be. It's not created for us, adults, you know. And neither were Star Wars or Indiana Jones. It's just recently that this "real life psychology" or "real life issues" trends seem to be attatched to films. For the most part, they come out fake anyway. I appreciate that that Tintin doesn't fall into this pit of pretensions and that it doesn't try to be something it isn't.

Karol

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but that would be Christopher Nolan's Tintin. I don't think that would be needed in kid's film. Which is what it should be. It's not created for us, adults, you know. And neither were Star Wars or Indiana Jones. It's just recently that this "real life psychology" or "real life issues" trends seem to be attatched to films. For the most part, they come out fake anyway. I appreciate that that Tintin doesn't fall into this pit of pretensions and that it doesn't try to be something it isn't.

Karol

Rubbish. You are just underestimating children and excusing TINTIN for being more innocous than it could have been. When somebody would have told Walt Disney in 1942 that BAMBI shouldn't deal with serious issues as losing a parent, he rightfully would have said 'Get stuffed'.

They got the tone of the books just right. If anything, the vilains were actually much more menacing in the movie.

For a real sense of danger and things at stake, I hope they adapt the Moon stories or Tintin in Tibet

Rubbish. You are just underestimating children and excusing TINTIN for being more innocous than it could have been. When somebody would have told Walt Disney in 1942 that BAMBI shouldn't deal with serious issues as losing a parent, he rightfully would have said 'Get stuffed'.

Alright then, have it your way. I definitely hope there will be an anal rape scene in the next film. To make the villains more menacing and to give kids some credit. The will will have some gravitas and everybody will love it.

Karol

Isn't one addict in the series enough? ;)

/edit: Two, if you count Snowy. From the books I've read so far he also really has a thing for whisky.

(His and Haddock's struggle for the floating anti-grav whisky bubble was hilarious... was this adapted from the moon story? I remember that also having floating whisky)

"a power greater that could change the course of history",

That is one of the trailer's tagline.

I for one, thougth that they had invented some supernatural relic for the film... in the end it seems that it was just enough money to change the fate of the world if it had arrived to england or france or something like that.

That left me scratching my head, too. In retrospect it seemed like the typical trailer line to make things sound super dramatic and mysterious. Do they think they need to exaggerate the stakes to draw more people in? What's wrong with "A sunken treasure that has been lost for centuries"?

Alright then, have it your way. I definitely hope there will be an anal rape scene in the next film. To make the villains more menacing and to give kids some credit. The will will have some gravitas and everybody will love it.

Karol

Is it CLUMSY DAY today in Derby, UK? Or are you trying to achieve all-time-low of the week here?

I just think you're overthinking stuff, that's all.

I mean, what did you expect from a film like that? At least it's not plain offensively stupid POTC franchise. And Raiders were made in the same vein and yet few people would argue that it was a very good film.

It's a very simple story of main trying to regain his dignity and honor. That's fine with me.

What's wrong with a little bit of simplicity in the over-cluttered world?

Karol

Damn, publicist. What would you say had they adapted The Castafiore Emerald? Outrage! It doesn't even have the treasure of a sunken ship!

For a real sense of danger and things at stake, I hope they adapt the Moon stories or Tintin in Tibet

They can't do Tibet if they don't do The Blue Lotus first. And they probably won't do The Blue Lotus for the sequel, as it's supposed to have already taken place in the film's universe (as we can see with the newspapers front pages in Tintin's apartment).

Exactly.

What we know they are "interested", even though we don't know what they will do in the end, are:

-Balls/Temple

-Stuff like Ottokar/Calculus Affair

-Spielberg's favourite is supposed to be the third film. Of course we don't know which one that is.

Sequel isn't to be Red Rackham's Treasure? http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-15553417

I've not seen the movie yet so an answer without spoilers please, but am I right in thinking they incorporated both books into the first movie? Because if they didn't then this news makes no sense.

Ah, okay. So there's little in the way of filmic content in Rackham's Treasure, then? I just can't remember any of its story at all so I wouldn't know.

But still, Herge must have written it for a good reason. Seriously, my memory is vague with this - aren't there loose ends to be tied and perhaps some worthwhile surprises in the story, after Unicorn?

I appreciate that this is a dodgy conversation for someone who hasn't seen the first film yet.

I'm putting my response in a spoilerblock, but if you've read the comics it is safe to read.

So The Secret of the Unicorn comic ends with Haddock and Tintin finally getting all 3 scrolls together and realizing that they reveal a lattitude and longitude, which they assume is where the treasure is. The Red Rackham's Treasure comic picks up right after, with Tintin and Haddock trying to find a boat to take them there. They end up meeing Professor Calculus and use his shark submarine to dive for the treasure over and over again until they finally find the sunken Unicorn, but no treasure. In the final pages of the comic they return to Marlinspike Hall where they find that the treasure had been there all along. The movie basically skips over the entire comic - no Calculus, no shark submarine, no diving - and only adapts the end when they find the treasure in Marlinspike Hall.

Therefore, Red Rackham's Treasure could theoretically be adapted in some future movie, but I don't really see why. Nothing really happens in it - they literally just dive, dive, and dive again for 50 pages. They also go to an island where they find an old statue of Sir Francis, but with that whole plot being adapted in the first movie I don't see the point.

I have a good notion of how the first film will end and I wish the screen writers the best of luck for the sequel where they have to resolve the open questions left by the first film and then try to tie it to other Tintin stories since that resolving previous questions bit alone won't be enough for the sequel as far as the plot goes. If they can pull it off while remaining loyal to Hergé's comics then it will a minor miracle.

On the other hand I am not a big or long time fan of Tintin comics so I can probably swallow more easily bigger deviations from the plot of the comic books than die hard fans. If they are ever going to dramatize Prisoners of the Sun I hope they cut 75% of the mindless trekking through the jungle where every possible animal seems to want a piece of Tintin and Haddock. There are even monkeys. :P

I'm putting my response in a spoilerblock, but if you've read the comics it is safe to read.

So The Secret of the Unicorn comic ends with Haddock and Tintin finally getting all 3 scrolls together and realizing that they reveal a lattitude and longitude, which they assume is where the treasure is. The Red Rackham's Treasure comic picks up right after, with Tintin and Haddock trying to find a boat to take them there. They end up meeing Professor Calculus and use his shark submarine to dive for the treasure over and over again until they finally find the sunken Unicorn, but no treasure. In the final pages of the comic they return to Marlinspike Hall where they find that the treasure had been there all along. The movie basically skips over the entire comic - no Calculus, no shark submarine, no diving - and only adapts the end when they find the treasure in Marlinspike Hall.

Therefore, Red Rackham's Treasure could theoretically be adapted in some future movie, but I don't really see why. Nothing really happens in it - they literally just dive, dive, and dive again for 50 pages. They also go to an island where they find an old statue of Sir Francis, but with that whole plot being adapted in the first movie I don't see the point.

That's pretty much it. Nothing really happens in Red Rackham's Treasure. I reckon the book's popularity owes a great deal to the great cover

Well, I was really sceptic too when I learned that they were going for a mix of The Crab with the Golden Claws and Secret of the Unicorn for the first one, and in the end I think they pretty much nailed it. So I have faith.

You can find a good new introduction but it's difficult. For example, Calculus could have been part of the expedition to Peru. He could have invented some machinery that was useful to them, or even the shark submarine for an underwater search on a lake or something. This would reinforce Calculus' friendship with the other members of the expedition. Just an idea.

However the ending of the first film is nearly implying that the underwater search of the Unicorn took place after all like in the books except they did found a treasure. Like not tinkering much with Red Rackham's Treasure but avoiding a film out of it anyway. But this only happens to those who are familiar with the books.

I don't want to imagine the fan reaction if Tintin never went to the Moon in the movies.

Moon is not the fan favorite its iconic, ubiquitous design would lead one to think.

But it's like... like... a Tintin film trilogy and Tintin's wildest, farthest journey isn't there. It's anticlimatic.

I was never too keen on an adaptation of the Moon adventure but my whole mentality about it suddenly changed.

But it's like... like... a Tintin film trilogy and Tintin's wildest, farthest journey isn't there. It's anticlimatic.

Oh yeah, it's a shame Tintin never went to Mars to fight martians. Then we'd sure have a trilogy of wild and far journeys.

Am i the only one that thinks that the 1st film ends in a way that is a closed history, but is left open not to finish the story in a second movie, but to instill us with the thirst to adventure, the spirit of adventure the tintin comics have, to read the next comic after you finish one?

If they dont make any movies it is still a contained story. We have to assume they will find the treasure.

If they make the film, im sure it will start at the treasure site and they will find the money and something in the ship that will lead to the new story.

Oh yeah, it's a shame Tintin never went to Mars to fight martians. Then we'd sure have a trilogy of wild and far journeys.

You totally misunderstood where I was going.

And please don't put Martians on Mars anymore. It already frustates me that people can't even draw the poor planet. The fuck, people can't even draw the Moon properly.

Tintin lives in a world where going to the Moon is a great adventure. Just like, er, RIGHT NOW. And they go there building greater technology that we ever allowed ourselves to make to go into space. That makes the idea of a Tintin Moon movie incredibly appealing. And it could very visually powerful.

The second movie should have nothing to do with the story about the Unicorn and the treasure. That story is over now, there is no point in showing the hunt for the rest of the treasure!

I'd love them to do 7 Balls/Prisoners of the Sun, because it's my favourite story. Calculus could easily be the last member of the expedition to Peru.

I agree! That story is great. But above all it's perfect for Peter Jackson. He can play scary with the mummy, he can make long virtual helicopter shots of the Andes, hell he can easily photocopy entire sequences from the book into the film! The estructure of the books allow for a length that organically a bit longer as for a while stuff will play out as events in a journey one after another instead of interwined plot points.

I just got back from Tintin!!

Well.... hmmmmm...

It was a good film. I was not thrilled! or thought it was bad! I'm in the middle I guess.

And I wouldn't call it sooo much better than Indy IV. Actually I liked the Jungle chase from Indy more than the central chase scene here..

I don't know. I'm still stuck in the old Spileberg. Maybe because it's part of my childhood?

Considering that I would give 10 to Indiana Jones and the temple of doom which I think is a masterpiece, I would give Tintin a 6/10.

I didn't enjoy much the music too. Maybe it was due to the theater? I don't know..

Someone here said that the SFX were burried under the score.

I wouldn't say that in no way...

I'm excited to see the film again tomorrow.

And in English this time! I know i will hate the flemish version after seeing the orginal one.

And yes indeed, the SFX were buried under the score.

Spielberg must have loved it a lot.

Oh by the way, they won't do a rocket to the moon movie, because in the film that adventure has already taken place.

i read that in the book.

Then you were lucky. I sometimes had trouble hearing the score.

Oh by the way, they won't do a rocket to the moon movie, because in the film that adventure has already taken place. i read that in the book.

Which book?

In the movie we only get to see the rocket in the opening credits, as a mere reference to the audience. And I don't remember seeing an article about the moon adventure hanging on the wall of Tintin's office. So my guess is that it hasn't already happened.

Then you were lucky. I sometimes had trouble hearing the score.

Yeah, me too. The only way I could make out the score, is because i knew it so well from the cd.

No, because it already happened.

the prologue uses imagery from almost all tintin adventures so it should not be used to predict the sequels.

Just wanted to mention one more thing about Snowy's unnatural acting.

I remembered ratatouille. Nobody cant deny the cartoony design, the humanised characters and everything. Yet when Remy is runing at 4 legs, when he is escaping from the humans, that 100% animated movement, is completely right. It looks like a real rat, the run, the sharp turns, the acrobatics... (really rats are very good at acrobatics, i had to chase one in a barn at work once...and it kept me reminding the film...).

Snowy did not show that.

I'll have to watch the film again, centered on him and watch closely what he does when he is in the background...maybe i missed something.

End...until second viewing ;)

The book also states Snowy was not meant to be 100% realistic. ;)

that's their lame excuse and i suppose they will shield the criticism with that for ever an ever...

I think the direction taken for snowy is wrong, i wont change..

BTW. nobody crying because snowy did not talk mentally?

In the books we can read what he thinks and in the cartoon we could hear what he thought.

Here he IS a real dog in that matter, but which does not look or move like one. ironic :P

Saw it yesterday. I agree with everything Steef said in his review. That is, except for the MV bit. I hear no Zimmer whatsoever in this score.

Neither do I. The Red Reckham theme more seems more like the cousin of one of Williams' own action motifs, such as the bit from the Raiders truck chase after Indy gets shot. Williams has always written these kinds of melodies.

Anyways they're not going to film the rocket to the moon story.

The first part of the new trailer of Tintin (with the Williams music) pretty much captures the mood of the film.