How did Tintin do at the boxoffice in Europe since it opened

JoeinAR

None of us really knows what were the studio's or the film makers expectactions for the gross of the movie. But aparently, it did well enough to warrant a sequel. Plus, the movies was fantastic, What more could you ask for?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the other animation films you mentioned are heavily marketed for children, and have a brandname that parents trust called Dreamworks Animation. Like Disney, or Pixar parents know they can safely take their young child to see a film made by that brand.

There is no precedent for a Spielberg/Jackson animation.

Now that I think about it: this reasoning sounds convenient and simple, but there is so little truth to it. First; certainly not only 'kids' made CGI animated films success-stories and secondly: Ice Age (for example) was released by 20th Century Fox. NO Dreamworks, NO Pixar, NO Disney. Happy Feet was released by Warner Bros. Again; NO 'brandname'. To be honest, I think most people don't give a damn about that in the first place. Ask the common man who released Shrek. Don't be surprised people saying ' Uhm, Disney..?' But even if there was some truth to your line of thinking: don't you think the name 'Spielberg' would ignite the same kind of trust in parents as 'Dreamworks Animation' would, if not more...?

Who would have played the title role?

Funny. No one had a problem casting someone as Harry Potter. Or Superman. Or Frodo Baggins. Why would 'Tintin' be a character that is 'uncastable'..? :(

Funny. No one had a problem casting someone as Harry Potter. Or Superman. Or Frodo Baggins. Why would 'Tintin' be a character that is 'uncastable'..? :(

Harry Potter and Frodo Baggins didn't have a "face". Frodo Baggins was nowhere as popular and recognizable as Tintin.

Superman is very difficult to cast but not as much as Tintin.

My sisters, die hard fans of Tintin, say they wouldn't have seen the film if it was live-action. Wonder why.

As for actors, most of the actual cast would do, even though some of them don't look that much as their comic book counterparts.

Well, 99% of the world are not 'die-hard Tintin-fans' and really wouldn't have some aestethic problem with an actor portaying Tintin. They found a perfect Superman back in '78. I'm sure they could have found a more than adequete Tintin.

The difference is that a lot of stuff from Europe and Japan happens to be at the center of the comic book world while the USA's superhero tradition is a bit like Bollywood. Superman has been a Soviet, an American patriot, a murderer, a protector of the world in general, a godlike persona, a dude that could jump buildings like John Carter. A character rewritten and redrawn endless times. Tintin was done once.

There could be someone out there to play Tintin, but it would be very difficult to find someone that can play the character perfectly and looks as spot on as the digital Tintin they designed for this film. Add to that all the other characters... Add the slapstick, add the impossible action in green screen, add a digital Milou like they originally thought, add a simulation of the colours used on the books . I dunno. I can see why this script was made this way.

Besides, I find the final film to look quite beautiful in itself despite my initial reactions when the first pictures were released. Once I got there, I only wanted to imagine a Tintin film done this way or in 2D.

Do you know which other comic book character I want to see in animation? The Spirit. Set in the 40's. Hand drawn, black and white. Like Brad Bird envisioned it back in the 80's.

But it kind of depends of the script in the end. I also know of several comics I would rather see being live action rather than animation because they have a classic filmic aura to them. Blueberry, The Scorpions of the Desert.

Then there's that thing called Scott Pilgrim vs the World...