How did Tintin do at the boxoffice in Europe since it opened

JoeinAR

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These aren't real. They don't exist.

I had US dollars in my hand once. They look like cartoon money. I can't take them seriously.

Yeah, like Euro notes look any better!

They do. And at least there isn't an Euro note for €1.

The coolest money are the pounds with Charles Darwin. They could scrap the Queen and put Isaac Newton instead.

I have a thing for Gothic Architecture. The 500 euro bill is very rare around here. ATM's don't have them

No, there are plenty of them going around. But only rich people get to see and hold them! ;)

I have a thing for Gothic Architecture. The 500 euro bill is very rare around here. ATM's don't have them

No, there are plenty of them going around. But only rich people get to see and hold them! ;)

I saw one, once...

$187,600,000 so far...

http://boxofficemojo.../?id=tintin.htm

So now at least the movie has recouped its budget.... :P

I hope that's enough to ensure the sequel...

BTW its doing extremely well in Spain, 20 million. Having cheaper tickets may help. A thing for companies in other countries to take a note. Cheaper tickets = more tickets sold = more money overall....

You know Germany has as twice the people as Spain, and it only has got 12 million... Maybe tintin it's not THAT popular there..but still...

I've never seen one.

I only ever saw a 100 Euro bill one. They dont use them in ATM machines.

BTW its doing extremely well in Spain, 20 million. Having cheaper tickets may help. A thing for companies in other countries to take a note. Cheaper tickets = more tickets sold = more money overall....

Hope the new Government won't hire you as a financial expert.

Avatar became the most successful film of all time because of the surcharge for 3D...

3d surcharge happens in Spain as well as Germany.

I still dont see your point.

Here it got twice the money with half of germany's population.

And here tickets are half cheaper.

So having cheaper tickets helps theaters...

You know Germany has as twice the people as Spain, and it only has got 12 million... Maybe tintin it's not THAT popular there..but still...

Indeed quite impressive.

But France has 47 million! :blink: WOW.

The UK also has (almost) 65 million people, but it only managed 20 million! WTH!

The scathing reviews it got from the British mainstream press might have something to do with it.

I guess it was rather a mixed bag for reviews of the film over here in the UK but everyone I've spoken to who saw the film enjoyed it immensely. It is gorgeous to watch as a 'moving painting'. What could be more cinematic ?

My feeling was that too many reviews seemingly spent all of their energies comparing the film to the source material rather than responding to it in its own right as a really accomplished adventure movie (people seem to get the idea of an 'adaptation' and the idea of 'transliteration' confused and then nobody benefits ).

What was really interesting, though, was that very few reviews seemed to really engage with it as a new Steven Spielberg film (if there's merit in the notion of authorship of course ...I think there is, by the way. )

Finally, the other critique to be made of most reviews of the film over here is that there was , I think, a general apathy shown towards engaging in any meaningful way with the film as a piece of animation (or a variation on the form).

For me the film was a fascinating display of what can be achieved with performance capture (convincing me evermore of its legitimacy as an aesthetic choice) and just in terms of good old-fashioned film grammar the movie contains some wonderfully inventive and elegant scene transitions. In terms of character types familiar to us from other Steven Spielberg-directed films there was certainly an emerging father-son bond between Tintin and Haddock. Undoubtedly the Spielberg film that Tintin most recalled was Indy 3.

Had I more time I would have very much liked to have seen Tintin a second time.

I don't think I've read a single "scathing" review of it in the British press. The general feeling I got from them was it's a three to four star movie. If by scathing Elmo meant it didn't get any five star reviews then yeah, okay.

I'm sure a one star slaughtering exists, but c'mon, don't take the piss.

Either way, it's a bit surprising the movie made "only" 20 mill. or so in the UK, when Spain managed 45 mill. The press can't have that big of an effect . . . either in the UK or in Spain.

And no, the UK reviews were far from scathing. They just weren't glowing. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow it's a bomb in the US, way behind in 5th position and not even close. It's the first Spielberg to bomb in a long time, and War Horse probably will be worse. What a shame.

A shame on US audiences, perhaps, but Tintin has far from bombed overseas. It'll probably just take longer to find its feet in the states. Word of mouth, home rentals and Blu sales might prove to be key in that market. It happens all the time.

I don't think I've read a single "scathing" review of it in the British press. The general feeling I got from them was it's a three to four star movie. If by scathing Elmo meant it didn't get any five star reviews then yeah, okay.

I'm sure a one star slaughtering exists, but c'mon, don't take the piss.

You do not read The Guardian, I assume.

Wow it's a bomb in the US, way behind in 5th position and not even close. It's the first Spielberg to bomb in a long time, and War Horse probably will be worse. What a shame.

I read somewhere before it was released in the US that in its first 6 days the film was expected to gross in the high twenties or low thirties (this was an estimate from its distributor). Now it looks like it'll be the low twenties, which is disappointing, but not far enough behind expectations to be considered a "bomb" I think. Also, its gross has increased every day so far. Granted that's not that special considering it opened on a Wednesday, but it could be a sign that American word of mouth is doing the job.

I think it was a big mistake:

A. Releasing this two months later in the US

B. Releasing this the exact same week as another Spielberg film in the US

C. Releasing it days after Mission Impossible 4 and Chipmunks

I mean, WTF? War Horse is Spielberg Oscar bait. It'll make money.

Agreed. I get opening it in Europe first, and having a strong word of mouth buzz going for it before the US release. But you don't need 2 months to build a word of mouth buzz.

Opening it in the US the Wednesday before Thanksgiving would have made sense to me.

It's a shame. Unlike Amistad or 1941, there was a lot love poured into the making of this movie.

Maybe we're back to "personal" late 1980s Spielberg, when he chose the movies he just felt like doing and they only performed just well enough in the box office (Empire of the Sun, Always, Hook). That all changed after 1993.

A shame on US audiences, perhaps, but Tintin has far from bombed overseas. It'll probably just take longer to find its feet in the states. Word of mouth, home rentals and Blu sales might prove to be key in that market. It happens all the time.

no it won't. there is no interest.

War Horse will do much better.

Joe is rarely wrong in his assessments of his fellow countrymen.

But hey, here in Europe we would never care much for a Nancy Drew movie if a decent one was ever made.

I will see it next weekend. War Horse was magnificent. Our theatre was packed. And before people start bitchlng about Americans not interested in Tin tin we still are interested in another european story. I 've got War Horse music stuck in my head. That's a good thing.

Tintin grossed 6 million on Monday, it's highest single day gross yet. Maybe there's still hope for it. Its increases in percentage (69.9% on Monday) are consistently higher than other films, which I think is a good sign that American word of mouth may be helping the film more than European word of mouth could.

War Horse has opened at 15 million, which is also pretty impressive given the genre and running time.