How did Tintin do at the boxoffice in Europe since it opened

JoeinAR

War Horse has opened at 15 million, which is also pretty impressive given the genre and running time.

Not to mention the cheese and mawkishness and simplemindedness and shamelessness.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering it's animated concurrent is the friggin CHIPMUNKS, it's a total bomb. War Horse did better money than it yesterday. It will barely do over 50 million, which is a really dark stain over the possible future of the franchise. A big portion of the North American boxoffice also won't help, because in Quebec it's already going down in numbers (it's been out for 3 weeks, and its totals add up).

This film had more of an international appeal then it has a US appeal. Spielberg and Jackson knew that, that is why it was released in Europe first.

You guys are talking like the film bombed. It is actually a big hit.

This film had more of an international appeal then it has a US appeal. Spielberg and Jackson knew that, that is why it was released in Europe first.

You guys are talking like the film bombed. It is actually a big hit.

Indeed. The film grossed $263,207,000 worldwide so far, which is not exactly a number of a failure.

I'll never understand the obsession about box office numbers.

I don't watch sports or anything, so Box Office grosses are my football. Of course, a sign of a good football team is that it wins games while a sign of a good movie is often unrelated to the amount of money it gets. But it's still fun to keep track.

A good film that does well increases the chance of more good films being made in the future.

It increases the chance of more films like it being made, but not of them being good.

The first problem with Tintin in the USA is that it's advertised under the Nickelodeon brand of Paramount.

That is a by-word for humdrum kid movie. It was doomed from the beginning, just because of that horrid brand attached to the beginning of every trailer and the bottom of every poster.

I really doubt the 0.2 second inclusion of a logo changed anything about the way the movie is doing actually at the boxoffice. The average movie-goer is too dumb to even understand or grasp that concept.

The first problem with Tintin in the USA is that it's advertised under the Nickelodeon brand of Paramount.

That is a by-word for humdrum kid movie. It was doomed from the beginning, just because of that horrid brand attached to the beginning of every trailer and the bottom of every poster.

rango did rather well with it.

I really doubt the 0.2 second inclusion of a logo changed anything about the way the movie is doing actually at the boxoffice. The average movie-goer is too dumb to even understand or grasp that concept.

Actually, you'd be surprised the impact of a .2 second inclusion of a logo for an audience that prefers the simplicity of a brand in calculating their interest rather than using their gauge of the contents of the trailer, the cast and crew behind it, and the origins of the story before them.

Rango

Made $120ish million in 2011. Didn't even make back its production budget in the States.

Yes Luke it is a box office Bomb. And Maurizio without enough boxoffice successes then the smaller films can't or may not get financing. It is a necessary evil.

Yes Luke it is a box office Bomb. And Maurizio without enough boxoffice successes then the smaller films can't or may not get financing. It is a necessary evil.

Random question Joey, I know you're the other box office aficionado here, were you active on BoxOfficeMojo before IMDb gutted the community/derby game/etc.?

If so, head over to boxofficetheory.com that's where everyone relocated. New derby game coming up as well.

Again, the film made in 7 days what Paramount expected it to make in 6. That's not a bomb. That's a slight disappointment.

Again, the film made in 7 days what Paramount expected it to make in 6. That's not a bomb. That's a slight disappointment.

Let's get this straight: the film is a bomb (it made dismally less than other movies with the same demographic target and abysmally less than other movies in its genre) but not a failure (it made back its production expenses and even turned a small profit). Such a thing is possible.

Is the concept of sleepers not en vogue anymore? This thing is out since hardly a week and god knows what kind of legs it may have. Since it actually isn't awful, people will be smart enough to see its qualities in the long run.

I dunno, recently well-grossing films have always had super impressive opening weekends. That said, Tintin's percent increase/decrease are always more positive (and I mean positive in the qualitative sense) than almost all of the other contenders, so who knows.

Let's get this straight: the film is a bomb

Let's get this straight: do you mean in North America? Because I'm genuinely unsure about whether or not you're being hyperbolic and sensational. I mean, no one is seriously questioning its failure at box office on American 'domestic' soil, are they?

And whilst we're at it - may I ask in which country do you reside?

I just hope Spielberg and kennedy take into account their foreign audiences and do not cancel the sequels because tintin is not loved in the USA even with their very entertaining movie. Just make the film for the rest of the world... and if they dont release it in the US, well it seems nobody losses (the filmakers because it would be less money to spend in publicity and the US people as it is one movie they will not have to suffer...)

I'm not counting jackson since as a foreigner himself, im sure his sensibilities are already attuned to the worldwide audience...or so i hope...

Let's get this straight: do you mean in North America? Because I'm genuinely unsure about whether or not you're being hyperbolic and sensational. I mean, no one is seriously questioning its failure at box office on American 'domestic' soil, are they?

Um i was asking if the numbers in the USA counted as a bomb. But i dont know much about boxoffice trends/numbers in the US, that's why i asked.

And maybe as indy4 said, the film may last very long in theaters and manages to earn a lot of money in the end.. so it can be an 'opening day' bomb but not in the long term...

Is the concept of sleepers not en vogue anymore? This thing is out since hardly a week and god knows what kind of legs it may have. Since it actually isn't awful, people will be smart enough to see its qualities in the long run.

NO. IT'S A BURNING KAMIKAZE WITH ZERO HOPE OF SURVIVAL YOU CULTURED NINCOMPOOP!

*Salutes*

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light...

I'm not driven by sentiment or patriotism. It's just how the distribution system works.

North America is the most profitable market for American productions. Overseas distributors usually turn very little of the profits back to the production companies, because they agree to distribute the film either before it gets made (so the sum they pay for the rights goes straight to the movies budget and thus cannot count as profit) or they just buy the movie after its finished for a certain sum and don't give any money back (they do cover ads and publicity expenses themselves though). Even if the production company has its own international distributor (as most studios do), a lot of the money stays in the country or is spent preemptively in promoting the film.

Of course, I'm sure Spielberg and Jackson were smart enough to secure the most profitable deal possible in their key market. I insist the movie is not a failure. It made its money back and then some. And by European standards, it was a wild success.

But the fact that it turned such a small profit worldwide makes it a bomb, yes.

And whilst we're at it - may I ask in which country do you reside?

I've been living in Spain for the last 11 years. I'm 27 now, if you consider the teenage and college years important. I believe I have a fairly strong European point of view, but you can't argue with those numbers.

That being said, I'm not trashing the movie. I liked it a lot. But a movie so expensive, so state-of-the-art and with the Spielberg and Jackson brands behind it should have done a lot better.

the fact that it turned such a small profit worldwide makes it a bomb, yes.

No, a film which turns a profit is a respectable, if underwhelming performer. You just like sounding like a tabloid headline, that's all. It pleases you to talk in sensational terms; the film still has legs at box office and yet you just couldn't help yourself.

Cowboys and Aliens is an unmitigated "bomb". I think you need to get some perspective if you're putting Tintin in with that degree of failure.

Oh, so we were discussing semantics. Then yes, you are right. I was talking from a contextual perspective: a state-of-the-art Spielberg crowd-pleaser should have delivered bigger figures. When you put Tintin next to Minorty Report, War of the Worlds or Indiana Jones IV (although this is debatable, as it was a very marketable brand) it has all the characteristics of a bomb.

• 2 weeks later...

last time i checked, around 62 million in the US. 260 in the rest of the world.

http://boxofficemojo...n&id=tintin.htm

Its a fucking disgrace how the US market has treated this movie, with the numerous crap films that get made and earn a lot of money there (and outside there...)

Its a fucking disgrace how the US market has treated this movie, with the numerous crap films that get made and earn a lot of money there (and outside there...)

Well to be fair, it wasn't *that* good of a movie. It was good. It deserved to cross $150 million at least, but it won't even cross $100.

To be fair, it takes a large dump quality-wise over Chipmunks and Smurfs.

Anyway I still don't subscribe to Tintin's perceived failure in the US. I still think home rentals and Blu purchases will establish a relatively strong following in time for the sequel. Spielberg realised the long term prospects and I think he sees the potential of franchise growth as a challenge.

It really isn't that great a flick. The US release months after the rest of the world and within days of Spielberg Oscar bait doomed it. Really. There wasn't going to be a ton of interest in Tintin, anyway. But to release at the very end of the year around guaranteed blockbusters for all audience types? The failure isn't that surprising.

I liked the movie, though.

I've only seen 11 films this of last year and so far it's my favourite. And will probably remain my favourite for quite a while as I get to see everything in my list. Which is long, but very few films in it might make such an impression.

To be fair, it takes a large dump quality-wise over Chipmunks and Smurfs.

To be fair, 2012 made $166 Million in the USA and Canada and $604 Million in the rest of the world....so we all have our quality brain farts. ;)

P.S. "Domestic box office" includes the USA and Canada.