War Horse MOVIE Discussion thread

Jay

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised how well the piano solo from the second to last track fit with the sunset scene at the end. It pretty much fit like a glove.

Absolutely. The last cue is Williams's finest moment in War Horse.

I went to see it today but I was distracted and thinking about other things so it was probably not the best day to see it. So I can't really have a definitive opinion on it

The music that did work best was the plowing scene. I had a weird mix in my theater where I thought the sound was only coming from the front most of the time and most of the music felt flat in the opening scenes

I noticed some nice unreleased music when Albert(?) puts the plow collar on joey the first time

That's good term for it. The music didn't "envelope" and felt more like watching TV coming from a front channel only .Except the Plowing scene where all of a sudden the music seemed to be coming from the side channels

I enjoyed the flick, but speaking about the score, I was disappointed to have the cue No Man's Land cut down in the film. That's one of my favorite tracks.

I'm not exactly sure what Williams was going for with this cue, and why.

At this point, we can safely assume that if you're too highbrow for glossy MGM movies or a worthy roadshow from the 60's, you probably will puke at WAR HORSE.

If you have fun with old NAATIONAL VELVET, like your 160-minute WEST SIDE STORY's or THE ALAMO's, i see no reason why WAR HORSE should be in need of encouragement by anyone else.

Here's how Andrew O'Hehir of Salon.com puts it, and, I think, aptly so:<br><br>

“War Horse” is certainly a movie for Spielberg’s fans, for those who are enraptured by the blend of childhood yearning and adult grief that characterizes his mature work, and also by his film-school-on-steroids effort to re-create the look, mood and feeling of bygone cinematic eras.

It's not a perfect movie, or even really a great one, but there's a lot of good stuff in it. I was very taken with it, and I was surprised to wake up this morning, still thinking about it. It is pretty corny in spots, and a lot of that can be somewhat unbelievable and pretty hard to take, but I felt Spielberg et al also showed a lot of maturity in some key moments. Not nearly as bad as some of the trailers/reviews lead me to believe, it's at once a return to his more flashy, melodramatic tendencies and a continuation of his increasingly restrained style.The story and characters are spread pretty thin, but the storytelling was involving, I thought. Lots of beautiful imagery, creative transitions (that shot of the mother knitting dissolving into the plowing field was a favorite), powerful moments created out of so-so material. And I agree with those who say that the finale is the finest moment for all involved.

I'll have to look out for it when I see Tintin this week. It's one of those things that's so indulgent and far out, yet too cool not to admire it all the same. I ended up dropping my jaw and rolling my eyes at the same time when I saw it :P

I haven't read a single review and don't intend to. I stopped reading reviews shortly after discovering RT and Metacritic. Soundbites are suffient enough for me nowadays. Most of the time I don't bother with them, either. I tend to just pick up on the 'buzz' of a movie and make a mental note of it. Even then I might not see it till years after.

Actually, I did read the Hoberman review, but that wasn't to find out what he thought about the movie.

Well this is a very bad review..... does anyone agree with it completely or any bits of it? http://www.gq.com/en...rst-movies-2011

Didn't expect anything else from GQ.

I tend to just pick up on the 'buzz' of a movie and make a mental note of it.

I'm the same way. There are a few critics who I do read regularly because they continue to impress me with their insights, but I mostly just look out for what's generally getting people excited (particularly those who have actually seen the movie...), as well as what films are being released by filmmakers I admire, regardless of its buzz. I don't watch many movies, past or present, that don't fall into either category, and I don't really understand the mentality of going to see a movie based on premise alone, which most people I know do. A story, in and of itself, isn't very interesting to me until I get a feel for how it's been told and who's telling it.

Well, I finally saw the movie on Tuesday, so I suppose I should post my thoughts.

SPOILERS if you haven't seen the film (though I dunno why you'd be in this thread if you haven't).

Overall, I liked it, but didn't love it. The opening act was good.... as a series of individual scenes. I liked watching Albert train Joey, I liked watching the family struggle against Lupin the Landlord. But a lot of it just didn't make sense. The movie opens with Albert watching Joey get born... so I assumed oh, they own Joey's mom. But then it turns out they had to buy Joey at an auction? I don't understand why. But once they brought Joey home everything was good.... until the Landlord's ultimatum. They never said what month it was taking place during, but he said they had until October to get the field plowed. Then what seemed like the next day, Albert seemingly failed at getting it plowed, and the Landlord told them something like pack your stuff up, you're out. Huh? Then it was a great scene when it rained and he was able to plow the field. But why did he have to do it himself? Why did the entire town just stand there and watch? I get that only one person can work the plow, but couldn't hte other people have moved rocks out of the way, brought him water, etc? Instead they waited till he was done before joining him on the field. Didn't get that. I also didn't get why they lost all their crops. One rain storm causes an entire field of crops to go bad? What? Does that really happen?

Act II was far superior to the first act. I think I enjoyed every moment of Joey's story as he went from the English Army to the German one and whatever else. Interesting characters that had very little time to develop, yet due to either the writing, directing, or combination of both, you defintely grew to care for. I wanted Captain Nicholds and Joey to beat Sherlock Holmes and Topthorne. I wanted the German kids to get away safely (though was not surprised how quickly they were caught and that they were executed). I really felt bad for the German horse guy who felt sorry that Joey and Topthorn had been found. I enjoyed every scene with Emilie and her grandfather. I was sad when the Germans took all their jam! The brief scenes of what a real WWI battle was like were really something - such an uglier, more brutal war than WWII. Really the only scene from all of Act II that I didn't care for was the scene where the English soldier and the German soldier work together to free Joey. The entire thing just felt so wrong and unrealistic.

The Final Act was alright, I suppose. I think it would have been better if Albert had been the soldier to go out into No Man's Land to free Joey instead of someone else. The fact that he was blinded for a while was just kinda odd and unnecessary. Would have preferred to have him be the one to wipe the mud off and reveal the socks and nose pattern. I dunno. I liked the idea that Emilie's grandfather heard about the auction and game to buy him, but the fact that he jumped to 100 pounds after the bid was like 31 pounds seemed unnecessary. Something like 50 would have made more sense, and it also would have been nice if he took Albert's 29 pounds instead of just giving him away. Shame we never get to see what happened to Emilie. His return to the farm with Joey was nice but just kind of... there. Could have been better.

I'm starting to reconsider my liking of the film after typing all that! I guess upon further reflection, it's really only the middle Act that I really like, the first and 3rd acts really could have been improved, I think. Maybe they were a faithful adaptation of the book/play which are both so beloved, I dunno, but for me it just seemed like a lot of missed opportunities.

Oh, and as for the score - early reports that the film was scored wall to wall were just COMPLETELY wrong. There are LOTS of scenes unscored, including MANY long stretches of film with no score. And it was good that way - in fact, I felt the film could have used even LESS score. Two scenes in particular seemed overscore - 1 being the beginning of the movie. The opening music is nice but as the scene goes on Williams is blasting out these themes that the scene doesn't require, it really seems like it would have been better with no score. Add the second is when the English soldiers charge the German camp ("The Charge and Capture" on the OST) - I think that scene would have DEFINITELY worked best with NO score at all. It was unnecessary. On the other hand, though, the Dash Through No Man's Land cue worked terrifically.

I also quite liked the End Credits - it was basically "The Homecoming" on the OST, but it jumps to a section from later after the intro, before eventually returning to the smaller themes from towards the beginning, and was then further edited differently. It worked really well.

Just got back - wow, great film. I liked Tintin, but this is definitely better. I'll post more thoughts later. Score worked wonders. I loved how Spielberg gets you to empathize with every side of the war. It's a very fair film.

The movie opens with Albert watching Joey get born... so I assumed oh, they own Joey's mom. But then it turns out they had to buy Joey at an auction? I don't understand why.

At first I was a little confused by that, but I think the point was just to show Albert's adoration for horses. After all, it doesn't take long for him to warm up to Joey - really it's love at first sight for him, because he's a horse. Joey's the one that takes some time to appreciate Albert.

But once they brought Joey home everything was good.... until the Landlord's ultimatum. They never said what month it was taking place during, but he said they had until October to get the field plowed. Then what seemed like the next day, Albert seemingly failed at getting it plowed, and the Landlord told them something like pack your stuff up, you're out. Huh?

The landlord said if you can show me that Joey can plow, I will give you until October to pay, as that's how long it will take to grow and sell the turnips.

One rain storm causes an entire field of crops to go bad? What? Does that really happen?

Yup, it does.

Right but who owned Joey's mom? Why was Albert there for Joey's birth? Why was he able to roam around and play with him for a while, but then later his family had to buy him at an auction?

Thanks for the clarification of the landlord's ultimatum.

What were some of everyone's favorite parts? (Sorry for bad sentence structure, couldn't think of any other way to put it)

SPOILERS

One of my personal favorites was Albert's reveal after the cannon scene with the cannon flashes.

Of course I have to include the barb wire scene at the end.

The Dash Across No Man's land is a given too.

The Plowing scene

What are some other good ones?

Right but who owned Joey's mom? Why was Albert there for Joey's birth? Why was he able to roam around and play with him for a while, but then later his family had to buy him at an auction?

Thanks for the clarification of the landlord's ultimatum.

I don't think it was Joey, Albert just liked horses.

One thing I really liked was the lack of music during the test cavalry charge. Up until that point Joey's more humble triumphs - plowing, coming, running - are underpinned with JW's score. Then you get to this really big moment, where the characters are actively competing to gallop faster than the other, where Joey's skills are finally set to the test by comparing him to other horses. In many ways it is the most dramatic victory for Joey up to that point, and yet, the lack of music doesn't quite make it as satisfactory as it could be. To me it sounds like JW favoring the more humble, mundane tasks over the violent tendencies of war. Here the spotting is not simply adding emotion, it is supplementing the film in its absence, making a statement about war that nothing else in that scene would convey.

I also thought the violence was done very tastefully, especially during the first battle scene. You barely see anybody being killed. Then at the end the German commander gestures to the battlefield, and there are a bunch of horse/human corpses. A chilling moment. I think it also speaks to the tendency, at least in that era, to glorify war and not take its consequences into full consideration until its too late.

I finally watched the film last night. I was never a fan of horse films, but I really liked this one. The opening was a bit cliche and cheesy but after we get past the first act the rest of the film ranges from very good to brilliant.

Overall, I liked it, but didn't love it. The opening act was good.... as a series of individual scenes. I liked watching Albert train Joey, I liked watching the family struggle against Lupin the Landlord. But a lot of it just didn't make sense. The movie opens with Albert watching Joey get born... so I assumed oh, they own Joey's mom. But then it turns out they had to buy Joey at an auction? I don't understand why.

As I said before, I found the opening act to be a bit cheesy but it all makes sense (never found myself confused). They didn't own Joey's mom, Albert was simply fond of horses (so he spent much of his spare time doing nothing useful but stalking horses :P). The horses he was following at the beginning coincidentally had Joey's mom amongst them.

But once they brought Joey home everything was good.... until the Landlord's ultimatum. They never said what month it was taking place during, but he said they had until October to get the field plowed. Then what seemed like the next day, Albert seemingly failed at getting it plowed, and the Landlord told them something like pack your stuff up, you're out. Huh?

As for you second question, you got it wrong. The Landlord said something like "you've got till October to give me the money IF you can plow the field with that horse". So they had to successfully plow the field first if they wanted the extension. Since it looked like they initially failed, the landlord told them to pack their bags.

Then it was a great scene when it rained and he was able to plow the field. But why did he have to do it himself? Why did the entire town just stand there and watch? I get that only one person can work the plow, but couldn't hte other people have moved rocks out of the way, brought him water, etc? Instead they waited till he was done before joining him on the field. Didn't get that. I also didn't get why they lost all their crops. One rain storm causes an entire field of crops to go bad? What? Does that really happen?

The town stood there and watched because they were amused by Albert's attempt to do the impossible. No one wants to help someone do the impossible. After Albert first succeeded though, his triumph is an independent thing. Also, how exactly could the town have helped? Plowing could only be done by one man if there is only one machine and one horse. All the farmers plowed the fields by themselves, Albert was just doing his job. So really, none of the townsfolk could really help him. Moreover, after they saw him finally get the plowing started, people left (they weren't going to stay for the whole thing, it was raining! :P).

Act II was far superior to the first act. I think I enjoyed every moment of Joey's story as he went from the English Army to the German one and whatever else. Interesting characters that had very little time to develop, yet due to either the writing, directing, or combination of both, you defintely grew to care for. I wanted Captain Nicholds and Joey to beat Sherlock Holmes and Topthorne. I wanted the German kids to get away safely (though was not surprised how quickly they were caught and that they were executed). I really felt bad for the German horse guy who felt sorry that Joey and Topthorn had been found. I enjoyed every scene with Emilie and her grandfather. I was sad when the Germans took all their jam! The brief scenes of what a real WWI battle was like were really something - such an uglier, more brutal war than WWII. Really the only scene from all of Act II that I didn't care for was the scene where the English soldier and the German soldier work together to free Joey. The entire thing just felt so wrong and unrealistic.

Agreed, Act II was fantastic! Firstly the war scenes were conceived brilliantly! And I really got attached to the horse (to my own surprise). On another note, I disagree with the scene with the English soldier and the German soldier. It was a great scene that shows how both sides really felt about the war. Thats one of the things I loved about this film, using the one horse, the film covered the many different perspectives of the war. The scene with the two soldiers in No Man's Land wasn't unrealistic because it happened a few times in reality. The most iconic example would be during Christmas when both sides came out on peaceful terms to talk with each on No Man's Land. It seems ridiculous but it was something that happened at times.

The Final Act was alright, I suppose. I think it would have been better if Albert had been the soldier to go out into No Man's Land to free Joey instead of someone else. The fact that he was blinded for a while was just kinda odd and unnecessary. Would have preferred to have him be the one to wipe the mud off and reveal the socks and nose pattern. I dunno.

Nah. I think its more effective that Joey got to bond with so many different characters (including the English soldier). It would have been too coincidental if Albert saved Joey (that just pushes the "cliche" button a whole lot). Also the fact that Albert was blinded shows that he's had his fair share of sacrifice in war which I felt was definitely necessary for the audience to feel sympathy. Also, keep in mind, isn't this all based off the book and the play. Theres only so much one can change the context before being bashed by a whole new group of critics.

I liked the idea that Emilie's grandfather heard about the auction and game to buy him, but the fact that he jumped to 100 pounds after the bid was like 31 pounds seemed unnecessary. Something like 50 would have made more sense, and it also would have been nice if he took Albert's 29 pounds instead of just giving him away. Shame we never get to see what happened to Emilie. His return to the farm with Joey was nice but just kind of... there. Could have been better.

I really liked that Emilie's grandfather came back, but as you said, the lack of explanation for Emilie's fate is probably my only gripe after the first act. But it adds to mystery and gets the audience involved so its good. I thought the ending was good too (with stunning cinematography), it not a bit cliche.

I'm starting to reconsider my liking of the film after typing all that! I guess upon further reflection, it's really only the middle Act that I really like, the first and 3rd acts really could have been improved, I think. Maybe they were a faithful adaptation of the book/play which are both so beloved, I dunno, but for me it just seemed like a lot of missed opportunities.

In the end, I thought this was quite a great film. I really enjoyed it. I thought I would be disappointed with it (even to the point of hating it) as it was a horse film. But the film really is a stunning achievement. With amazing cinematography, beautiful visuals, brilliantly conceived war scenes, the film dazzled. But I really like how the horse managed to keep the audience filled with empathy for him and the many different characters he connected with. I actually felt something when the German boys were shot and when the horses were taken away from sweet Emilie. The fact that the film showed the many different perspectives of the war is great. I say this is a fantastic film (and probably the best horse movie I've ever seen...but that doesn't say much :P). Another great Spielberg war drama (may not be as good as his other war efforts, but its still a great film).

Oh, and as for the score - early reports that the film was scored wall to wall were just COMPLETELY wrong. There are LOTS of scenes unscored, including MANY long stretches of film with no score. And it was good that way - in fact, I felt the film could have used even LESS score. Two scenes in particular seemed overscore - 1 being the beginning of the movie. The opening music is nice but as the scene goes on Williams is blasting out these themes that the scene doesn't require, it really seems like it would have been better with no score. Add the second is when the English soldiers charge the German camp ("The Charge and Capture" on the OST) - I think that scene would have DEFINITELY worked best with NO score at all. It was unnecessary. On the other hand, though, the Dash Through No Man's Land cue worked terrifically.

Indeed. I too thought that the beginning was a tad bit overscored, but other than that, the score worked brilliantly in my opinion. Most of Act II and III, the score was quite restrained to attune to the visuals. II find many of these complaints ridiculous (with exceptions to the beginning, but by the end of the film, you forget all that). Even at the few moments of Williams bombast work to the film's advantage. One moment I particularly remember is the scene with the canon where Joey puts himself forward to spare Topthorn the horrible fate. The tragic boldness of the music is what really helps us empathize with the horses in that powerful scene, if it weren't for the music, it won't just look plain silly.

- KK

I have to agree with this. To be fair to the movie, one expects Spielberg to pull the manipulative plot strings (especially for a drama like this one), but I think it gets too much at times. The actors are good enough to move the plot along, but the horse(s) are the standout.

That said, War Horse has Janusz Kaminski's best cinematography in years. I was getting sick and tired of the filtered, grainy look he and Spielberg were stuck in after Saving Private Ryan. It's nice to see Kaminski embracing the more lush, picturesque side for a change. (Hopefully he and Spielberg are doing the same for Lincoln.)

As for the score, it sounds great by itself. But coupled with the film, it makes it more sappier. If that's even possible.

After loving the score from the first time i heard it and continuing to love it everytime after for months, i never would have thought i'd love it less after seeing the film, but, well..... Let's just say I haven't listened to it once since.

Ouch! JWFan mod is turned off by the score as heard in the film. That is a bad sign.

"All fourteen equine actors playing Joey are stalwart and convey soul in their eyes, but “War Horse” is so overt and laborious in its emotional response that only saps will truly be moved. It’s watchable and full of postcard-pretty scenery, but those who cried puddles in the sublimely magical “E.T.” might not necessarily give in to Spielberg’s latest string-pulling."

They rant over the swelling musical cues, too, but i think if you take WH as the cornball it really is, this shouldn't be too much of a detriment. I have survived so much jingositic bullshit, even BAD BOYS II, so i think i'm not too outraged about a horse movie being shamelessly sappy.

i think if you take WH as the cornball it really is, this shouldn't be too much of a detriment.

You've seen it then? You seem to know a lot about it, y'see. Or at least you've read a lot about what other people have seen of it. Perhaps in an effort to support you're own self-serving preconceptions, your own critical agenda? Here's a tip: save your cash - you're not gonna like it very much. You already know that.

If one enjoys poring over the reviews more than watching the film itself then one is doing it all wrong.

Lee - reminded on a daily basis here of the critic from Ratatouille.

You've seen it then? You seem to know a lot about it, y'see. Or at least you've read a lot about what other people have seen of it. Perhaps in an effort to support you're own self-serving preconceptions, your own critical agenda? Here's a tip: save your cash - you're not gonna like it very much. You already know that.

Again trying to force our own little dogmatic views on others, aren't we? Look, i have seen enough movies that i can read a lot about their reception without spoiling the pleasure/displeasure when finally seeing them. What i find absolutely ninsy-pinsy is a Quintie who practically curses me for doing so as if i have committed a major felony.

Again trying to force our own little dogmatic views on others, aren't we?

Are you for real? Right now I'm envisioning this great big fucking massive pot swaggering across the kitchen work top, tapping the recently boiled kettle on the shoulder and saying, "you black bastard."

Say, I've just had an idea: I'm going to leave this conversation now and go and make a thread in GD in which I try to convince everyone else I know how to make a Steven Spielberg movie better than he did.

Say, I've just had an idea: I'm going to leave this conversation now and go and make a thread in GD in which I try to convince everyone else I know how to make a Steven Spielberg movie better than he did.

You don't have the guts to do that...

It suits you much more sitting here whining like a little prissy missy on the tarnished reputation of WAR HORSE, surely one for the history books, stunner for the ages, eye-opener for millions!

Of course, now i wouldn't touch a derogative word in my review of iut just to piss you off. :wave:

Again, it's not about War Horse. My expectations are quite low to middling for a movie I've only ever had an outsiders chance of a hope for since the beginning. No, what I find tiresome is the revelling in a film's percieved failure. The sad little ego-stroking will of those who desire to see a film tank before they have even seen it. I realise that for some an upcoming film release is the potential for good sport; a high profile film such as War Horse is indeed ideal game for such risible pursuits, but I just find all that lark incredibly depressing and pointless. Sorry.

Again, it's not about War Horse. My expectations are quite low to middling for a movie I've only ever had an outsiders chance of a hope for since the beginning. No, what I find tiresome is the revelling in a film's percieved failure. The sad little ego-stroking will of those who desire to see a film tank before they have even seen it. I realise that for some an upcoming film release is the potential for good sport; a high profile film such as War Horse is indeed ideal game for such risible pursuits, but I just find all that lark incredibly depressing and pointless. Sorry.

You really are into these things...i don't care diddly-squat about about that 'risibility', it's just another movie set out to the public to make money and that's it.

Apart, i hardly am a frontrunner in the Cassandra-shouting, i only pointed out (more than once) that the reception has more to do with a limited grasp of critics on film history (read: good old MGM glossy) than with the film failing on its own terms. But why all this is so 'depressing' i don't know.

What IS depressing is how many noteworthy films don't even come into wide circulation because of the Hollywood stranglehold on cinema chains - this year, there was WEEKEND, POLISSE (like a french THE WIRE), NEVER LET GO, ATMEN (austrian film) etc., all perfectly good movies you have to search with a magnifying glass. I can hardly shed a tear about widely publicised blockbusters like WAR HORSE getting some snide comments.

I'm sure those movies appreciate your loyal, unwavering support.

You really are into these things...i don't care diddly-squat about about that 'risibility', it's just another movie set out to the public to make money and that's it.

Remind me, why are you here again? You know - on the John Williams fan forum. He being the famous mainstream composer of Hollywood's biggest hits. Shouldn't you be on TruffautFan.net - what with you being all filmically cultured and everything?

I'm not convinced. I think you're telling porkies. See, saying stuff like, "it's just another movie set out to the public to make money and that's it" just makes you sound like a right daft sod ;)

http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/war-horse So this is a really good review of the film but they say the main problem with the movie is the score! For those who have seen it, why are so many saying it dosen't work in the film? Is it scored to much or is the music inappropriate?

http://www.totalfilm...inema/war-horse So this is a really good review of the film but they say the main problem with the movie is the score! For those who have seen it, why are so many saying it dosen't work in the film? Is it scored to much or is the music inappropriate?

Williams' score obviously is the extra pinch of sugar that broke the camel's back / sent diabetics into coma.

I'm really surprised how a score made with so much love gets so much hate...

Sadly yes. I can't say personally how well it works in the film since I have not seen it but from what I gather from reviews and comments Williams must have been extremely inspired by the film and wrote a beautiful score straight from the heart expressing what he was feeling for the film. But this fervent abandon with which he created the music coupled with Spielberg's love of Williams' music and inability to say no to the Maestro might have resulted in some scenes being overscored for most modern audiences becoming emotionally melodramatic and pushy.

Remind me, why are you here again? You know - on the John Williams fan forum. He being the famous mainstream composer of Hollywood's biggest hits. Shouldn't you be on TruffautFan.net - what with you being all filmically cultured and everything?

I'm not convicted. I think you're telling porkies. See, saying stuff like, "it's just another movie set out to the public to make money and that's it" just makes you sound like a right daft sod ;)

And you like a combative senior-citizen who will crush anyone with loud shouting rants who dares to questions his own hare-brained little concoctions. ;) And i am the webmaster of Truffaut.net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So there.