So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

That means Ridley would have planned this cinematic crossover universe long ago. And the Prometheus phase will be the connective tissue, the spine that links them!

I bet Scott will make further connections. Connecting the world of Alien with his contemporary links of GI: Jane and Thelma & Louise with the historical strands of The Shootist, finally to the Crusades, ancient Rome in gladiatorial times, to the days of Moses!

Its all connected, man!

Brilliant!

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Sure, but ever since he has hidden that Easter egg on the Prometheus release, people now think that the universes of Alien and Blade Runner are connected.

Not so!

Alex

What do you mean? That connection was established DECADES ago, long before PROMETHEUS, pr. the "Building Better Worlds" slogan, wasn't it? BLADE RUNNER is also connected to the massively underrated SOLDIER. And ALIEN to PREDATOR, obviously (if you count those movies). I love it how these universes are combined, although it sometimes wreaks havoc on the timelines.

I love it! Even beyond Scott.

This is a good article that relates not only the Weyland(-Yutani)/Tyrell easter egg connection, but a lot of the visual/thematic links between the two:

https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/blade-runneralien/

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

And didn't Mike Matessino himself assemble those isolated audio tracks? 

Yes.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

What do you mean? That connection was established DECADES ago, long before PROMETHEUS, pr. the "Building Better Worlds" slogan, wasn't it? BLADE RUNNER is also connected to the massively underrated SOLDIER. 

I mean that, when Ridley Scott made Blade Runner, he didn't see it as being in the same universe of his previous film (Alien). The only thing that connects these two movies is Ridley Scott.

And Ridley Scott has nothing to do with Soldier. If someone decides on his own to make a reference to a certain movie doesn't mean they are officially connected. 

The only film that will take place in the same Blade Runner universe is its upcoming sequel. 

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I mean that, when Ridley Scott made Blade Runner, he didn't see it as being in the same universe of his previous film (Alien). The only thing that connects these two movies is Ridley Scott.

Alex, you're slipping. You're forgetting Derek Valint, and Terry Rawlings.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

... but a lot of the visual/thematic links between the two:

Hey, guess what?! Star Wars and Blade Runner take place in the same universe! The Falcon appears in Blade Runner and the city in Attack of The Clones looks like Blade Runner.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Hey, guess what?! Star Wars and Blade Runner take place in the same universe! The Falcon appears in Blade Runner and the city in Attack of The Clones looks like Blade Runner.

So the cloned Ripley from Alien 4 can become the new Han Solo?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

This is a good article that relates not only the Weyland(-Yutani)/Tyrell easter egg connection, but a lot of the visual/thematic links between the two:

Is this like how George Lucas had it "all planned out"? 

20 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And Ridley Scott has nothing to do with Soldier. If someone decides on his own to make a reference to a certain movie doesn't mean they are officially connected. 

The only film that will take place in the same Blade Runner universe is its upcoming sequel. 

I'm aware that Scott had nothing to do with SOLDIER, so it's probably not 'canon' that way, but I like the reference nonetheless. Extends the universe into all kinds of different areas.

Check out some of the quotes by Scott in the aforementioned article, and how he thought about the connection between the two films even in the early 80s.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

A good article, Thor. Thank you for posting.

The Goonies is the same cinematic universe as Fargo. Just as Roland Joffe's Killing Fields share time and space with Love Actually. The links are there, one only needs to know where to spot them. 

On 04/01/2017 at 9:38 PM, Alexcremers said:

Wait a minute! Nobody here knew the Falcon appears in Blade Runner! Fakers!

Alex, there's a picture of it in the Summer 1982 edition of Cinefix.

It was all over magazines such as Cinefantastique.

I knew about this, almost 35 years ago.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

I knew about this, almost 35 years ago.

Where would you be without google, Richard? 

Millennium Falcon? Blade Runner? What the hell is he talking about? 

Google, google, google, ...

Ah, yes! Of course! Everybody knew that!

Fakers!

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Fakers!

Did you know decades ago Blade Runner was the Prequel to Aliens, Alex?

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Fakers!

BOLLOCKS!!!!!!! Did you watch BLADE RUNNER at the cinema five times, in 1982, then ten year's later - also at the cinema - when the DC was released, and then in 1998 whent it was shown at a Vue cinema?

Did you rent the film umpteen times, on VHS, in the 80s? Did you buy the film on VHS, then on DVD, when it was first released? Have you read FUTURE NOIR cover to cover? Did you own the original Cinefix that featured BR article? Did you, out of loyalty to the film, buy that awful LP by the New American Orchestral? Do you own several versions of the OST?

Don't try to frighten us  with your modern ways! I've forgotten more about BR, than you'll ever know.

I was THERE!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

BOLLOCKS!!!!!!! Did you watch BLADE RUNNER at the cinema five times, in 1982, then ten year's later - also at the cinema - when the DC was released, and then in 1998 whent it was shown at a Vue cinema?

Did you rent the film umpteen times, on VHS, in the 80s? Did you buy the film on VHS, then on DVD, when it was first released? Have you read FUTURE NOIR cover to cover? Did you own the original Cinefix that featured BR article? Did you, out of loyalty to the film, buy that awful LP by the New American Orchestral? Do you own several versions of the OST?

Don't try to frighten us  with your modern ways! I've forgotten more about BR, than you'll ever know.

I was THERE!

All that ... and then multiplied by two!

Okay, okay, ..I didn't buy the New American Orchestra album twice ....Once was enough!

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I was THERE!

I downloaded all that the other day in a rar file, only took me a couple of hours. 

"No one asked the bloody question, why would you make such a beautiful, monstrous creature? That craft was always like a battle wagon to me, carrying bacteria, biomechanoid monsters that could be put down anywhere that they wanted to be cleaned out. It's a weapon of mass destruction... And that's why Prometheus was cooked up... pretty well, I thought. We did well enough, we did very well, so we get to do the next one and see who made it and why. And the why will be explained."

- Ridley Scott

Don't get this vibe from the trailers at all; they're selling the film as a straightforward, horror-schlock, soft reboot of Alien.

Methinks the film is a lot more Prometheus 2 than they're letting on, with a healthy increase of the body horror and gore (basically, what Prometheus was marketed to be, and everyone was disappointed it wasn't).

Win-win for me as I like both Prometheus and the Alien series overall. A meeting in the middle would yield a pretty great film, IMHO. Doesn't need to have as much preachy science-fiction as Prometheus but it certainly needs more horror. You can tell they sterilized that whole film in the hope of getting a PG-13 rating (including shooting a PG-13 version of the cesarean scene -- guess their plans backfired after the MPAA informed them they'd never be given a PG-13 unless that scene was removed entirely).