So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

But isn't it true that Scott raped Goldsmith's score because he felt it was too much of a typical creature score?

Are you seriously unaware of how much of Jerry's original compositions were altered in the final cut of the film, or are you just trying to be funny?

It's a series tradition anyway, all the composers get screwed over (for the relevant films anyway, Frizzell excepted).

Goldsmith goes without saying, same with Horner. Goldenthal had to completely redo parts of Alien 3 due to reshoots. Scott disliked Streitenfeld's Prometheus main theme so much he had HGW replace it almost entirely. Naturally Scott repaid the favour by binning HGW's score for Covenant a few months back.

Amusing to think there's never been a repeat composer in all 9 films featuring Xenomorphs.

Just now, crumbs said:

At least the series can legitimately say they've never had a repeat composer in all 9 films featuring Xenomorphs.

Has any other franchise had that many entries without a repeat composer?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Are you seriously unaware of how much of Jerry's original compositions were altered in the final cut of the film, or are you just trying to be funny?

I don't get it. Does rape mean something else to you? You are such a weird moderator, Jason.  

Just now, Jay said:

Has any other franchise had that many entries without a repeat composer?

I can't even think of many franchises with that many entries - the obvious ones like Bond or Star Trek or Fart & Furious all have regular composers. 

So it seems unique to the Alien series and it's a cool bit of trivia!

If Silvestri hadn't done Predator 1 & 2 we could include those films in the cinematic universe as well ;)

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't get it. Does rape mean something else to you? You are such a weird moderator, Jason.  

Way to not answer my question.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Way to not answer my question.

On December 28, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Prerecorded Briefing said:

How is that ridiculous, Jay?  The ubiquity of technology has made it necessary for any composer to also have some measure of facility with the various aspects of music production as well.  Some have equal facility with both.  Some utilize those things as a part of their fundamental creative process, as popular music people have been doing for decades. 

On December 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Jay said:

Composing is composing, producing is producing!

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't understand why you are asking it. Did I say something wrong? I think not.

I asked you if you are aware that the final cut of the film "Alien" features music from Jerry Goldsmith that is almost never what he actually wrote, for the place he wrote it.  That Ridley Scott chopped up and moved around Jerry's compositions, and tracked in music from other places as well.  

Just now, Jay said:

I asked you if you are aware that the final cut of the film "Alien" features music from Jerry Goldsmith that is almost never what he actually wrote, for the place he wrote it.  That Ridley Scott chopped up and moved around Jerry's compositions, and tracked in music from other places as well.  

Yeah, I call that "rape". I hope that's okay with you, Jay. Steef said Goldsmith is not a classical film composer (which is kind of strange) but then why did Scott think his approach was too classical? Maybe Steef didn't know that. 

Ooohh...you love to deflect, don't you.

Anyway, you are using my opinion to defend the one Ridley Scott held. Which is absurd.

FAILED! 

You have failed Alex, please leave this forum. You lost your intellectual credibility years ago and you certainly arent any fun.

IMG_7866.GIF

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You have failed Alex, please leave this forum. You lost your intellectual credibility years ago and you certainly arent any fun.

You're such a nice guy.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

A rock score for a moody horror film is... intriguing.

How do you know that's what you're getting? Just because he's a rock musician doesn't mean you're getting a rock score. There have been a good number of examples in recent years to prove otherwise.

49 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Jason wasnt wrong though.

With no more than a truism offered in reply, this is an embarrassing position to take!  Sad.  I'll be off to JWFan Pro now. 

Yes, but it took me two attempts before I could finish it. However, Star Trek Beyond is even dumber than Exodus so he still has a point. Thankfully, TV is where the more interesting stuff happens.

On 29.12.2016 at 4:16 PM, Daniel Clamp said:

The arty film buff types tend to like hacked up scores anyway.

Thor in particular has been been vocal in his liking for the sliced and diced version of the score so much, he wrote an academic paper on it.

I'm impressed you remembered. It might actually be my most-published piece. First as a term paper in 2002, then in revised form in a media magazine in 2003, then in yet another revised form (without much of the academic lingo) in another film journal just last year, an online version -- in Norwegian -- which is available here:

http://znett.com/2016/03/musikk-for-monstere-filmmusikalsk-ekstranarrativitet-i-alien/

It's my "Satelite Celebration"/"Song for World Peace". :)

I love how the blu ray has an audio track of the final music exactly as is in the final cut, and another audio track that presents what Goldsmith intended as closely as possible (not truly possible since he scored a working cut that was re-edited heavily after he recorded his music)

20 hours ago, Jay said:

I love how the blu ray has an audio track of the final music exactly as is in the final cut, and another audio track that presents what Goldsmith intended as closely as possible (not truly possible since he scored a working cut that was re-edited heavily after he recorded his music)

Charles De Lauzirika is the best Bluray producer in the industry. He killed those Bluray sets, the Prometheus one as well.

And didn't Mike Matessino himself assemble those isolated audio tracks? Dual tracks for the first two films (final film score and composer's intended score) and singles for the latter two. Though from memory the Alien 3 one couldn't be assembled from the tape masters so unfortunately they used the film stems. Vaguely recall reading that the A3 tapes have deteriorated beyond repair. :(

38 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Charles De Lauzirika is the best Bluray producer in the industry. 

Sure, but ever since he has hidden that Easter egg on the Prometheus release, people now think that the universes of Alien and Blade Runner are connected.

Not so!

Alex