So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A fanboy, really?

I certainly would think so, yes.

He gave The Phantom Menace 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Embargo's up. Reviews trending mixed/positive; not a perfect film but clearly resolves most of the issues people had with Prometheus while raising new narrative questions.

As suspected, the film is more a continuation of Prometheus than an outright retread of Alien, but the film's technical aspects all getting top marks. Fassbender brilliant playing two characters but is, if anything, underused.

Scott and the writers have achieved an outstanding balance in Alien: Covenant among numerous different elements: Intelligent speculation and textbook sci-fi presumptions, startlingly inventive action and audience-pleasing old standbys, philosophical considerations and inescapable genre conventions, intense visual splendor and gore at its most grisly. The drama flows gorgeously and, unlike in many other franchises in which entries keep getting longer every time out, this one is served up without an ounce of fat. It provides all the tension and action the mainstream audience could want, along with a good deal more. Stylistically, the film is a thing of cool beauty, with superb effects and a lovely score. Creatively, it’s a major re-set on a level with the series’ best.

Hollywood Reporter

If the only question you want to be answered by this review is whether or not Alien: Covenant is better than Prometheus, then that answer is a resounding “Yes.” If you were hoping that it would totally leave the ideas introduced in Prometheus behind, you might be a little disappointed with certain parts, but as a whole, I think you’ll probably enjoy it. The story is self-contained for the most part, but it does open up some plot threads for a sequel. With that said, Covenant is the shot in the arm that the franchise’s future needed it to be.

Bloody Disgusting

It’s won’t be your favorite Alien movie, but it’ll probably make you want to watch it again. Perhaps I am blinded by my love of the franchise and too easily seduced by the stunning beauty of Scott’s images, but even the ramshackle hybrid narrative and disappointing treatment of compelling characters can’t keep me from finding a lot to love in the frustrating film.

Collider

As a standalone watch, it’s an intense and fun ride, but as a piece of the overall series it’s very much a piece of a puzzle. I’m sure some people will walk away disappointed, while others will be excited and buzzing about where this series goes next, given the events that transpire and where that leaves it. Love it or hate it, I think it’s a film that will be discussed at length and many folks will head straight home and pop in PROMETHEUS to connect the dots. For me, I love the doors it opens, the questions it answers, the villain it creates and the direction it’s headed, even if it misses some beats along the way.

Joblo

While Covenant continues to pose new questions, it also provides answers, and does so within a much more immediately enjoyable and rewarding experience. In many ways – stylistically, thematically, structurally – it sits neatly between the existential ponderings of the previous film and the sumptuous horror of the 1979 original. And while it fails to match the original in terms of sheer terror and elegance, Scott nevertheless delivers some imaginative takes on familiar sequences and rich, satisfying answers to Prometheus’ lingering mysteries.

Sandwiched between the fresh first act and that somewhat more predictable conclusion, Covenant smuggles in a more thoughtful and philosophical second act; it’s where the movie is at its most Prometheus-like in tone – ponderous, even a little pretentious – but unlike the divisive prequel, Covenant has some genuinely satisfying answers.

Alien: Covenant strikes a more favorable balance between the unwieldy philosophical ideas of Prometheus and the classic horror and suspense of the 1979 original film. Despite continuing Prometheus’ questionable line of inquiry into the xenomorphs’ origins and occasionally adopting its histrionic tone for entire scenes, Covenant’s framework and exciting action put enough new spins on the series’ most reliable touchstones that the cast is able to carry it through to a satisfying end.

IGN

If we are lucky Sir Ridley spent some afternoons over his coffee table art books and we get a handful of great painting approximations.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

If we are lucky Sir Ridley spent some afternoons over his coffee table art books ...

I'm afraid that Scott has spent a few afternoons watching Nordic crime series. ;)

He should do a good miniseries on AMC or FX or something. The results would be invariably better than those compromised multiplex efforts. 

Scott was never a very good storyteller. "World-building" and visual splendour is what he's good at. I dared to rewatch Prometheus a couple of weeks ago and even though the film is a weak soup, I way amazed how well made it is, technically. Scott knows how to stage an impressive shot and present his world in a grand fashion. But his films tend to have lame scripts. He's sort of like... James Cameron in that respect. But Cameron at least knows a thing or two about pacing.

Karol

I disagree. Unlike Scott's early efforts, the background in Prometheus never becomes the foreground, which used to define his worldbuilding trade. That's why the Nostromo in Alien (1979) almost felt like a character. The ship and the alien environments really came to life. They are the most important element in the Alien experience. He gave the design a lot of screen time. Prometheus, like all his later movies, is made in a conventional workmanlike manner. His focus is no longer the background but rather the (weak) story and the (ridiculous) spectacle. 

I didn't found 'Prometheus' catastrophic - just trashy with some good imagery thrown into the pot. Though making 'Covenant' my fourth cinema experience this year only comes from social pressure and lack of alternatives (cinema-wise).

I'm not disagreeing with you. It is certainly more workmanlike. But if you compare how Scott shoots s-f as compared to many modern filmmakers Prometheus will still feel better. And I really dislike this film.

Karol

After reading 'Hannibal' i had hoped for the pigs being much more frightening than they were but as greeting card from Florence the movie was perfect.

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

I watched it some time ago. It doesn't hold up.

Karol

Not even as a comedy?

Just now, Alexcremers said:

Not even as a comedy?

I know what you're getting up. But it's not fleshed out enough as any genre to be successful. But it has intriguing ingredients still.

Karol

I remember Hannibal made me angry because it wasn't Silence Of The Lambs but now I think I kinda enjoy it more ... :unsure:

It's trash but it's fun.

I don't think it being different makes it inferior at all. It's not that. I liked the book but think this film was a bit too tame.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

I don't think it being different makes it inferior at all. It's not that. I liked the book but think this film was a bit too tame.

Karol

In that case, watch Hannibal the TV series! It starts rather tame but after 4 or 5 eppies it goes beyond cinema.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I remember Hannibal made me angry because it wasn't Silence Of The Lambs but now I think I kinda enjoy it more ... :unsure:

It's trash but it's fun.

I think there's something wrong with me, because I find SOTL to be one of the funniest films I have ever seen!

It's not chilling, it's not frightening, it doesn't make me feel awkward, or uncomfortable. It is a genuinely funny film. All this "Chianti" crap, just makes me laugh my head off.

HANNIBAL has its faults, but it's the vastly superior film.

Oh, no. Its definitely not more serious. HANNIBAL is supposed to be funny, but I don't think that SOTL is.

What I find funny about SOTL, is its obviously po-faced approach to the subject matter. It just makes me laugh. I'm sorry, but I can't explain it more adequately.

The sombre tone, music, and look of the movie is what makes it so good though. I don't find it funny, although you could sense the proceedings were funny to Hannibal Lector. 

Hannibal is entertaining trash. 

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

Oh, no. Its definitely not more serious. HANNIBAL is supposed to be funny, but I don't think that SOTL is.

What I find funny about SOTL, is its obviously po-faced approach to the subject matter. It just makes me laugh. I'm sorry, but I can't explain it more adequately.

UNFRIENDING!