Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

I really hope it refrences/expands on that little bit in fellowship, with the map.

I think the map bit was precisely what Adams was referring to in his blog.

I can totally hear a bigger rendition of that theme playing over the ending of the film, when it pans over the Lonely Mountain. Assuming the film ends this way.

I hope the film ends like that. Thats what I always envisioned to be the perfect ending of the first film, before this thing became a trilogy.

These fluctuating prices will be my undoing. How can I place an order when I don't have a good and reliable price/delivery speed ratio?

As Jason already pointed out, the prices on Amazon will drop the most just before release and you will ultimately pay whatever that turns out to be, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Which means I would pay £16.75 if it was to ship now, even if I ordered it at £21.

Which is exactly what happened with Lincoln a few days ago.

Karol

Yes but the delivery time is my main trouble. As I am impatient I want my music ASAP and Amazon UK's free shipping will take a week or more. I can't order and expect the CD to hit my mail box the day of the release or after. The agony I tell you! The agony!

Yes but the delivery time is my main trouble. As I am impatient I want my music ASAP and Amazon UK's free shipping will take a week or more. I can't order and expect the CD to hit my mail box the day of the release or after. The agony I tell you! The agony!

That's true. :) I selected "get it on the day of release" delivery option.

Karol

I remember pre-ordering Doug Adams' book from the local book store and when the release date came I went to see if they had it. They informed me that they will now place the order because ordering it in advance was impossible to them (apparently). They estimated the delivery time to be 3 weeks. I cancelled my order, ordered from Amazon.com with the fastest delivery rate and got the book in 2 days and for 20€ less than from the local book shop. Naturally I have had very little use for the local store after that for even slightly more "exotic" book orders.

And I would hate to have to pay more for getting this set on the release date or the day after. I could risk waiting for the CD to appear in locals stores (as it is bound to do) but there is no knowing when it will hit the shelves. So my dilemma is awful.

Nice to see the price drop. I do wonder why these prices fluctuate so much though - perhaps they are reconsidering sales projections based on pre-orders?

As it stands, that's basically the same price as a Ltd Edition which is fair enough being the complete score.

If it came out only a few days before Christmas, I'd leave it as a gift, but the 10th is just too long before.

I can confirm that this is from the official website

If you browse to http://www.thehobbit.com/ , it automatically begins playing "background.mp3", and if you download that mp3, the only tag is the "title" field, and it says "02 Old Friends (Extended) - USNLR1200500". The total running time is 5:01, just like the youtube video. It's a 128kbps cbr mp3.

http://www.thehobbit.com/media/background.mp3

Whoa! it hints at the map scene music (just barely, not the actual map bit of course)

Bloodboal, its only the first part that almost sounds edited (I think its only because of the modern recording technology, makes it easier to replicate performances.

Nope it reprises the Hobbiton material from FOTR. Quite literally.

Karol

Fuck. I feel like we're gonna have a Dark Knight Rises situation, with only 10% of the OST featuring original material, and the rest being just edited stuff from the previous films.

That's it, I'm not buying that shit.

Howard Shore promised up to 3,14% of brand new material. And screensavers! ;)

Karol

Nice! :) Great musical opening to the story I would say, some familiar music to reintroduce us to Middle Earth.

Whoa! it hints at the map scene music (just barely, not the actual map bit of course)

Actually, Unless I am hearing things, at the end, it is used!

Ooh there is a thematic connection to Radagast the Brown here, the cor anglais melodic snippet at 3:32. And indeed a hint at the moment with the map from FotR.

Ooh there is a thematic connection to Radagast the Brown here, the cor anglais melodic snippet at 3:32. And indeed a hint at the moment with the map from FotR.

Is it just me or can I hear a hint of dragon fireworks music from FOTR right after that?

Karol

The Shire music is heavily featured in this piece, most of the familiar themes popping up with some incidental Shire scoring from FotR.

Yeah, I noticed it seemed familiar to me, but I couldn't place it.

Is it just me or can I hear a hint of dragon fireworks music from FOTR right after that?

Karol

No, it's there.

Karol

:D

tumblr_mcz9ujO5Wv1r83q4ko1_250.gif

oh god... I want to listen. this thread is poison! I'll stay away from now on.

Certainly warm, familiar territory. Feels right in line with the original scores, unlike the rather radical differences between, say, ROTJ and TPM.

But with that much recycled music, will it be eligible come Oscar time?

Too loud?

Yes, it's like the LotR OST albums. Too loud. Just compare them with the complete recordings.

CRs might be mixed differently but Shore's general preferance for balanced out choir and orchestra works against itself at some moments. Like the first rendition of the Seduction of the Ring boyschoir in the Pass of Caradhras in FotR or the Way to Mordor motif on solo horn in My Precious in TTT where you barely hear the melodic line.

Depends on the Academy. It seems they change those rules every damn year unfortunately. And Shore is quoting his old themes but also orchestrations here to some extent it seems. I am quite glad the continuity is this strong and he didn't go off into a totally radical new direction even though Radagast the Brown and part of the Very Old Friends give indication he is adding some great new colours to this musical world.

Yes

Yes, but here the music is compressed. I don't like that.

It's a 128kbps mp3

I do.

The CR's are wayyyyy too quiet.

now if its was done like Zimmer scores, than I would be worried.

also this is a website rip, so it could be because of that.

Yes

It's a 128kbps mp3

No, I mean the other compressed: the quiet parts are amplified and the loud parts are made less loud. Then the whole thing is amplified. Result: louder loud music and louder quiet music.

It could have been mixed that way just for the website version. Radagast The Brown AMC digital download sounds fine.

Kind of like the website version of the Tintin trailer music has the volume dips, or how some of the SW game music is compressed.

There's still a chance all the tracks send to various places for promotion purposes had their sound tinkered with and the OST will have a different mix.

The Star Wars trilogy LP's/CD's (for RotJ) have an excellent sound quality. I don't like the quality of the later releases, yes.

Mostly the albums have better quality.