Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

It could be because the film is so long, so alot mor score was written, and it would be hard to present a satisfactory listenig experience/story

We do not know the inner workings of the music production on this movie at all so I think it is premature to make assumptions of will or won't there be this or that final version of any track on this upcoming set. This fretting about the minutiae is of course normal in film score fan world but sometimes in this rather obsessive and precise passion we often miss the forest for the trees. I know the speculation is fun but as I said before we will deduce and debate ourselves into a very pretty tangle before the month is out. :P

If the film was scored in August I doubt they took 3 months with it. First of all it is not going to be cheap to keep an orchestra playing for such a long run and secondly even with pick-ups they would have plenty of time to compile a complete score if the record company was game and onboard with the idea from the start. It just requires careful planning. This is of course a highly optimistic view but I somehow expect that if the Water Tower Music, Shore and his crew all seem so committed and we receive such an elaborate version of the soundtrack on the first go, they have produced a very comprehensive release.

I think that is also the first confirmation that "Song Of the Lonely Mountain" is exclusively composed by Neil Finn, and not co-composed by Shore.

BTW here is the link since BB didn't include it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O07NDY/jwfancom-20

So the dwarven melody from the trailer isn't Shore's? Damn, didn't half sound like him as well. I hope it's still to be used as a central theme, but that now seems odd given that Shore would surely have preferred to write his own stuff for the most predominant parts of the score.

Lee - who just KNOWS this is going to be the best film score since Return of the King.

LotR choral work was recorded at Abbey Road, the orchestral work was largely recorded at Watford. I guess they're doing it all at Abbey Road, is cool.

Unfortunately Watford is no longer available as a recording venue, and I suspect that Air Lyndhurst isn't large enough leaving Abbey Road as the only suitable studio.

I think that is also the first confirmation that "Song Of the Lonely Mountain" is exclusively composed by Neil Finn, and not co-composed by Shore.

BTW here is the link since BB didn't include it

http://www.amazon.co...NDY/jwfancom-20

So the dwarven melody from the trailer isn't Shore's? Damn, didn't half sound like him as well. I hope it's still to be used as a central theme, but that now seems odd given that Shore would surely have preferred to write his own stuff for the most predominant parts of the score.

Lee - who just KNOWS this is going to be the best film score since Return of the King.

The trailer music sounded every bit like Shore. The melody, the tense harmonies, the orchestrations, the skip-beat in the second half. It's hard NOT to associate with Shore. :P

The Song of the Lonely Mountain is simply an end credits song. And The Misty Mountains Song won't be the full trailer music either, it'll largely be the dwarven melody sung by the cast (or that's my guess).

OK, someone ask Doug if the Special Edition contains the full theatrical score, and he basically replied by quoting the product description on Amazon:

The write-up at Amazon states:

"The Special Edition of the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey contains the full score from the film with seven extended score cues, six exclusive bonus tracks, and deluxe liner notes packaged in a 2 CD hardcover digibook. The Soundtrack features original score by Academy Award winner Howard Shore recorded at famed Abbey Road Studios by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Additionally it includes an original song, Song of the Lonely Mountain, written and performed by Neil Finn (Crowded House).

One of today's most respected, honored, and active composers and music conductors, Howard Shore previously worked with director Peter Jackson on The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, which stands as his most towering achievement to date. He won three Academy Awards for his music for those films."

I'll let you make of that what you will. :)

http://www.musicoflo...ed-journey.html

So, sounds like a confirmation to me. Good news!

That's awesome! Does it also mean that the bonus tracks are in addition to the full score (full trailer music maybe)?

Also, I wonder if the lack of track times is to cater for revised versions of cues, so they can do the master closer to release. Or maybe the score is done already? It's usually the effects that take the most time on these films.

Anyway, is that a first? I can't think immediately of any other blockbuster movies that get a complete score release right off the bat.

KM is going to hate us so much for this. Hah.

So Doug lets us know in some certain terms that this is a complete release! Hooray! :)

And do we even know if there is going to be an extended cut? They nixed the WB early announcement of it and could they really have so much material left over from dividing the movies into 3 parts that it would still warrant EEs. Could it be that Shore seized this opportunity to present us with the complete scores (hopefully the other two films will follow suit) from the start so that there would be no double dipping with subsequent releases?

And yes if KM strays into this thread he is going green with envy and red and blue with rage. :P

Well I ordered the Special Edition. :)

The retailer CDON says it will be released on 30th of November but that might change as the release just appeared on their site.

I can't wait to get to fret and worry about getting this on time!

Well I ordered the Special Edition. :)

The retailer CDON says it will be released on 30th of November but that might change as the release just appeared on their site.

what!? where?! link plz.

I couldn't find it so I contacted the customer service yesterday but I only got an auto-answer about CD releases.

Here you go Alice!

The regular release

The Special Edition

Typically minimal info but CDON is quite slow adding details so it is business as usual I think.

Here you go Alice!

The regular release

The Special Edition

Typically minimal info but I CDON is quite slow adding details so it is business as usual I think.

thank you mikko!

but, 329kr for the special edition? hmmm. why did I think it was gonna be much cheaper than that?

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing. But I ask myself would I subject myself to the agonizing 14 to 24 day wait if I ordered from Amazon? I am impatient to a fault when it comes to certain film music.

A few years ago I would have trusted this release to appear in local stores on the release date but alas even with a bigger film like The Hobbit it is not guaranteed anymore. :( I still remember buying the LotR OSTs in store and I think even before the US release date.

but, 329kr for the special edition? hmmm. why did I think it was gonna be much cheaper than that?

kr? What's that? Krisprolls? 329 Krisprolls for the special edition sounds like a good bargain to me.

It is obviously svenska kronor you Boalie you! Get your facts straight!

Oh and I have a feeling I will be in panic cancelling and re-ordering this from several online stores to get the best price/delivery time ratio and drive myself and all people in this thread into madness by fretting. Or I will stick to my order and pay the slightly higher price for my hasty enthusiasm.

:lol:

maybe I should just put it as the only thing on my christmas wish list and let others do the job. I don't desperately need the physical copy the day it's released.

But I thought you were buying this just to get the gorgeous liner notes by Doug Adams. :o

kr? What's that? Krisprolls? 329 Krisprolls for the special edition sounds like a good bargain to me.

It is obviously svenska kronor you Boalie you! Get your facts straight!

I don't know. In this day and age, it wouldn't surprise me to see barter reappear in some developped countries. And since in Sweden, they are not short on Krisprolls...

Oh and I have a feeling I will be in panic cancelling and re-ordering this from several online stores to get the best price/delivery time ratio and drive myself and all people in this thread into madness by fretting. Or I will stick to my order and pay the slightly higher price for my hasty enthusiasm.

I think I'll just steal it in store. Much easier and much cheaper...

Oh I hadn't thought of that...

maybe I should just put it as the only thing on my christmas wish list and let others do the job. I don't desperately need the physical copy the day it's released.

But I thought you were buying this just to get the gorgeous liner notes by Doug Adams. :o

oh I wouldn't miss those exquisitely fabulous liner notes for the world but do I desperately need them before christmas? n...

wait. maybe I do.... I'm only going to listen to the score once before I've seen the film, and I will see the film on the 12th. which means I'll probably listen to the score nonstop after that, and I'm gonna need the liner notes when I do! arghhghghghghgh!

decisions, decisions...

oh I wouldn't miss those exquisitely fabulous liner notes for the world but do I desperately need them before christmas? n...

wait. maybe I do.... I'm only going to listen to the score once before I've seen the film, and I will see the film on the 12th. which means I'll probably listen to the score nonstop after that, and I'm gonna need the liner notes when I do! arghhghghghghgh!

decisions, decisions...

Spreading panic, indecision and fretting madness is my specialty so you're welcome. ;)

Thinking about the end credits song... As LeBlanc pointed out, the Amazon page states "Composed by Neil Finn", not "Co-composed with Howard Shore", or anything like that. I truly hope that Amazon description is just not very accurate, and Shore did work on the song with Finn, or if he didn't, that Finn at least tried to incorporate one of Shore's theme into his song. I am not interested in having a song that has no relation to the score included on the CD. Just release it as a single if that's the case.

BloodBoal - who doesn't want to play the album producer on that CD.

That was what happened with Enya's contribution, which had very little connection to the FotR score.

So its confirmed that this is the full score? I find it rather strange that the whole score would be out as the first release...

And does that mean we won't get a gorgeous Complete Recordings set? (since there are doubts that we'll even get EEs) :(

And does that mean we won't get a gorgeous Complete Recordings set? (since there are doubts that we'll even get EEs) :(

And that matters how?

ROTFLMAO

Exactly what I was thinking...

And that matters how?

Indeed. What do we need from a CR set that it seems won't be in this one?

So its confirmed that this is the full score? I find it rather strange that the whole score would be out as the first release...

But isn't it still kind of awesome at the same time to get the complete score as the first CD release? :)

The DVD audio might be one thing we are missing but I honestly have played those CR DVDs once each.

The DVD audio might be one thing we are missing but I honestly have played those CR DVDs once each.

Then you are no real Shore fan. You will be depossessed of all your Shore discs, and no one shall call you Grand Maester Of LOTR Music Analysis ever again. Oh, and you're dead to me.

As soon as you provide me with state of the art 5.1. sound system I will be playing those discs daily. Until then the rubber knobs have them and the rubber knobs keep them.