Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

John Williams and Howard Shore are the same guy. Kinda like Bruce Wayne and Superman.

Wait a minute...

No wonder I immediately liked the LOTR score :)

No, you fool! It is forbidden to like both Shore's LOTR and Williams music! They are mutually exclusive! Liking one will force the other to delete itself from your iPod and the discs to sell themselves on Half!

actually I have both Shore's LOTR and WIlliams's Star Wars, Harry Potter and Indiana Jones on my mp3 and I'm not deleting them so you fail :)

I don't think Shore's finished recording sessions yet...but I guess they just knew it'd end up there anyways.

Oh I'm sure the recording sessions haven't finished yet either, but that doesn't mean an OST couldn't have been assembled anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Just announced by Water Tower Records:

The STANDARD VERSION of The Hobbit OST (currently $15.52 on Amazon) will be TWO DISCS!

The SPECIAL EDITION VERSION of The Hobbit OST (currently $22.23 on Amazon) will also be two discs, but with MORE MUSIC!

Standard Edition:

thehobbitsdtkcover480.jpg

(larger image)

Disc 1:

01. My Dear Frodo

02. Old Friends

03. An Unexpected Party

04. Axe or Sword?

05. Misty Mountains performed by Richard Armitage and The Dwarf Cast

06. The Adventure Begins

07. The World is Ahead

08. An Ancient Enemy

09. Radagast the Brown

10. Roast Mutton

11. A Troll-hoard

12. The Hill of Sorcery

13. Warg-scouts

Disc 2:

14. The Hidden Valley

15. Moon Runes

16. The Defiler

17. The White Council

18. Over Hill

19. A Thunder Battle

20. Under Hill

21. Riddles in the Dark

22. Brass Buttons

23. Out of the Frying-Pan

24. A Good Omen

25. Song of the Lonely Mountain performed by Neil Finn

26. Dreaming of Bag End

Source: http://www.watertowe...search=WTM39372

SPECIAL EDITION:

thehobbitspecialsdtkcov.jpg

(larger version)

DISC 1:

01. My Dear Frodo

02. Old Friends (Extended Version)

03. An Unexpected Party (Extended Version)

04. Blunt the Knives performed by The Dwarf Cast

05. Axe or Sword?

06. Misty Mountains performed by Richard Armitage and The Dwarf Cast

07. The Adventure Begins

08. The World is Ahead

09. An Ancient Enemy

10. Radagast the Brown (Extended Version)

11. The Trollshaws

12. Roast Mutton (Extended Version)

13. A Troll-hoard

14. The Hill of Sorcery

15. Warg-scouts

DISC 2:

16. The Hidden Valley

17. Moon Runes (Extended Version)

18. The Defiler

19. The White Council (Extended Version)

20. Over Hill

21. A Thunder Battle

22. Under Hill

23. Riddles in the Dark

24. Brass Buttons

25. Out of the Frying-Pan

26. A Good Omen

27. Song of the Lonely Mountain (Extended Version) performed by Neil Finn

28. Dreaming of Bag End

EXCLUSIVE BONUS TRACKS

29. A Very Respectable Hobbit

30. Erebor

31. The Dwarf Lords

32. The Edge of the Wild

Source: http://www.watertowe...search=WTM39373

It's weird that for the SE version, two of the new tracks are integerated into the flow of the score, while 4 of the new tracks are tacked onto the end. Why do it that way? It's also great that some other tracks get extended. Is it possible the SE version is the entire score (at rather, one version of each cue, obviously there are no alternates) ?

Full press release:

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY SOUNDTRACK 2CD SET DUE DECEMBER 11TH FROM WATERTOWER MUSIC

Featuring Original Music by Academy Award™ Winner Howard Shore

With An Original Song Performed by Neil Finn

2 CD Special Edition Soundtrack Also Available

(November 1, 2012 – Los Angeles, CA) – WaterTower Music has announced the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Original Motion Picture Soundtrack at all retailers on December 11th. The soundtrack will be available both digitally and as a 2 CD set. A Special Edition of the soundtrack featuring six exclusive bonus tracks, seven extended score cues, and deluxe liner notes will also be available December 11. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey features original score by Academy Award® winner Howard Shore recorded at famed Abbey Road studios by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Additionally it includes an original song entitled “Song of the Lonely Mountain,” written and performed by Neil Finn (Crowded House). The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the first of a trilogy of films from Oscar-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings Trilogy), will be released in the U.S. on December 14, 2012.

Shore’s music for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy has been performed in concerts throughout the world. In 2003, Shore conducted the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in the world premiere of The Lord of the Rings Symphony in Wellington, New Zealand. Since then, the work has had over 140 performances by the world’s most prestigious orchestras, and has even been the subject of a book, Music of The Lord of the Rings Films.

“I have looked forward to returning to the imaginative world of Middle-earth for quite a while,” says Shore. “I read all of the books by Tolkien, including The Hobbit, when I was in my twenties, and his deep love of nature and all things green resonates deeply with me.”

“It’s a thrill for us to work with Howard Shore on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey soundtrack” stated WaterTower Music head Jason Linn, “His reputation and body of work have long inspired us, and we look forward to another successful partnership as we embark on the next chapter of our journey together.”

One of today’s most respected, honored, and active composers and music conductors, Howard Shore previously worked with director Peter Jackson on The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which stands as his most towering achievement to date. He won three Academy Awards for his music for those films, two for Best Original Score, and one for Best Original Song. Shore has also won numerous other honors for his film work, including four Grammys and three Golden Globe Awards.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Original Motion Picture Soundtrack on WaterTower Music in the United States and Decca Records outside the United States. It will be available on December 11, 2012. The track listings for the 2 CD Standard and 2CD Deluxe versions are as follows:

THE HOBBIT SPECIAL EDITION TRACKLIST

DISC 1:

My Dear Frodo

Old Friends (Extended Version)

An Unexpected Party (Extended Version)

Blunt the Knives performed by The Dwarf Cast

Axe or Sword?

Misty Mountains performed by Richard Armitage and The Dwarf Cast

The Adventure Begins

The World is Ahead

An Ancient Enemy

Radagast the Brown (Extended Version)

The Trollshaws

Roast Mutton (Extended Version)

A Troll-hoard

The Hill of Sorcery

Warg-scouts

DISC 2:

The Hidden Valley

Moon Runes (Extended Version)

The Defiler

The White Council (Extended Version)

Over Hill

A Thunder Battle

Under Hill

Riddles in the Dark

Brass Buttons

Out of the Frying-Pan

A Good Omen

Song of the Lonely Mountain (Extended Version) performed by Neil Finn

Dreaming of Bag End

EXCLUSIVE BONUS TRACKS

A Very Respectable Hobbit

Erebor

The Dwarf Lords

The Edge of the Wild

THE HOBBIT STANDARD EDITION TRACKLIST

Disc 1:

My Dear Frodo

Old Friends

An Unexpected Party

Axe or Sword?

Misty Mountains performed by Richard Armitage and The Dwarf Cast

The Adventure Begins

The World is Ahead

An Ancient Enemy

Radagast the Brown

Roast Mutton

A Troll-hoard

The Hill of Sorcery

Warg-scouts

Disc 2:

The Hidden Valley

Moon Runes

The Defiler

The White Council

Over Hill

A Thunder Battle

Under Hill

Riddles in the Dark

Brass Buttons

Out of the Frying-Pan

A Good Omen

Song of the Lonely Mountain performed by Neil Finn

Dreaming of Bag End

From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the first of a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

The three films tell a continuous story set in Middle-earth 60 years before The Lord of the Rings, which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

I'm listening to the samples the second they are available, and listening to the OST the second I can as well. By the time I see the film I'll probably be crazily familiar with all the music

Wow! This is brilliant! I am also getting the Special Edition ASAP! And I will not wait until the movie to listen to the music. No way. I didn't do that with LotR either. :P

Yea, there's a good chance that the prologue music is in the bonus tracks, not appearing on the standard OST.

I'm sure Dreaming of Bag End is the end credits music that plays after the song.

Other thoughts: The Hill Of Sorcery and Warg-scouts before Rivendell? Mmmm... Doesn't seem there is much of the Necromancer plot in the first film, though. Especially in the second part of the film.

There's no guarantee that the OST (either version) is chronological OR complete, or that the tracks ONLY contain music referenced by their titles

The PR says it has been recorded at Abbey Road. A deviation from the series (except for some choral work, I take it?)

Karol

Watford Hall (the venue where the previous scores were recorded) was shut down right after the recording of ROTK, if i remember well.

FYI, David Pyatt (LSO Principal Horn) is playing in the ensemble as well.

Didn't Doug Adams hint that they might be doing something special or different for the release earlier this year?

I thought had posted at FSM or Facebook that the Hobbit soundtrack might have a surprise to it.

If so, it looks like he was right. Would love to see the track times though.

And yes, I'll be buying / pre-ordering ASAP.

And about the chronological aspect, it seems that most tracks are in chronological order.

Yes it seems so. I concur. :)

It is actually pretty amazing Shore is producing such a large release right off the bat but I am glad my overly optimistic hopes for a double CD full of music came true.

My guess is that the Dwarf Lords is part of the prologue as might be Erebor. If you go by the novel and Tolkien's map, Edge of the Wild might be somewhere around The Trollshaws, Roast Mutton and A Troll Hoard, in any case before Rivendell. A Very Respectable Hobbit is a tough one. I would guess somewhere at the beginning of the film.

I am still a bit flabbergasted and more than a little giddy about this release! :joy:

On second thought, A Very Respectable Hobbit probably goes right before or after Old Friends. I can feel it.

A Very Respectable Hobbit is a tough one. I would guess somewhere at the beginning of the film.

yes, or right after "brass buttons"?

Well Bilbo is reminiscing a lot about home ("and not for the last time")and reminding people that he is a very respectable Hobbit quite a few times in the novel.

As it has been mentioned the price of the score is amazingly cheap. They are selling the regular edition with the price of one CD and the Special Edition is just marginally more expensive and I am certainly not complaining. Shore is really doing his fans a tremendous favour here with both the content and the price. I am sure his good connections to the Water Tower Music through Paul Broucek helped with this big release not to mention his world wide reputation and the mainstream appeal of LotR and most of all the success of his wonderful music.