Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

FINALLY had a chance to listen to all the samples. This will most certainly be a fantastic score just from hearing them! However, I am in the same boat as most about the disappointment of the Misty Mountains song. I really, REALLY hope someday in the not-too-far future they will release the version as heard in the film's first trailer, complete with the orchestral part after the lyrical segment. It was spellbinding.

I have a feeling the orchestral version of Misty Mountains heard in the teaser trailer will feature in either 'The World Is Ahead' or 'The Edge of the Wild'.

My thinking for 'The World Is Ahead' is based on Plan 9 getting a credit in there and it scoring what I assume is the scene with the company leaving the shire. I'm thinking it might be a moment like in Fellowship when they leave Rivendell. As for 'WIld', as the sample starts you can hear the skip beat accompaniment coming to an end. Might be that the sample starts after what we heard in the trailer :)

I noticed that the Lothlorien theme seems to be set in different lyrics this time around, or so it sounded to my ears.

Let's hope they are able to provide us with the lyrics to all the pieces in the score. It will be interesting to see how much they are Tolkien and how much the film makers had to invent this time around.

A variant of the Cruelty of the Orcs makes some apperances as does an idea similar to the driving version of the Way to Mordor from RotK, appearing in the Orc and chase cues here. It might be a new motif for either Orcs or Wargs. The delightfully wicked twisting melody in Warg Riders is an absolute blast. The Descending Thirds appears too here and there but in truncated form or it is some new theme build on similar progression. I hoped and expected this kind of transformation and variation from Shore's Orc and Mordor material in this score. Familiar yet new. :)

I love the nods to Gollum's themes, especially the jittery near Dies Irae style quote of Gollum's Menace theme in Riddles in the Dark clip.

So yes I think we can expect as densely thematic trilogy as with LotR from the Hobbit scores.

:music: Out of the Frying-Pan

yes yes, I'm weak. but can I just say...

EEEAAAGLEEES

damn it's good.

Indeed. Brilliant and I loved to hear that theme again, one of my favourites from the entire LotR trilogy. :)

Indeed. Brilliant and I loved to hear that theme again, one of my favourites from the entire LotR trilogy. :)

mine too, without a doubt!

but I miss benny :(

Yeah voice break, the tragedy of boy sopranos. :(

I think this thread should be used to discuss the score, and the discussion of what it or isn't in the film and how the film is edited, even if the conversation is predicated off track titles and/or times, should be in the main Hobbit thread.

ROTFLMAO

mine too, without a doubt!

but I miss benny :(

Yeah voice break, the tragedy of boy sopranos. :(

Aye, the theme sounds as enticing as ever but was it not possible to get another boy soprano? Still love the variations of all these old themes. Shore really is playing around with them, and I love that!

Also, I picked up what might be a theme for the idea of adventure of itself. It shows up in the beginning of "The World is Ahead" before going into that "Radagast cue motif". You then it hear in full epic form (with bagpipes and all) in Erebor!

Strange to hear bagpipes in Middle-Earth...but hey, its yet another colour added to its incredibly diverse musical palette.

Just listened to The Adventure Begins track, boy is it awesome!! I feel like its the kind of cue that wouldn't exist if PJ & Co had filmed The Hobbit first and made LOTR later, but using the old LOTR theme in this mode for The Hobbit now just sounds awesome!

Also, I picked up what might be a theme for the idea of adventure of itself. It shows up in the beginning of "The World is Ahead" before going into that "Radagast cue motif". You then it hear in full epic form (with bagpipes and all) in Erebor!

Strange to hear bagpipes in Middle-Earth...but hey, its yet another colour added to its incredibly diverse musical palette.

Yes the bagpipes were a surprise but I welcome more instruments into the palette of Middle Earth. :)

And actually that melody reminds me somehow of the Last Mimzy. There is a similar idea found in that rather forgotten 2000s Shore score.

A lot of this score so far keeps making me think of HUGO for some reason. Anyone else feel that?

Yeah it has been mentioned by few of us here. Some of the quirkier and rhythmic lighter stuff has the Hugo kind of vibe.

Well, LotR used quite a few celtic/northern European instruments - the hardanger, the bodhran, the whistle - so to me, the bagpipes are really a logical addition.

Just heard the new cue. Absolutely wonderful! This is definitely a more sprightly high spirited affair than LotR (some might say far less turgid) and I'm loving the cohesion with the thematics already laid down. This is gonna be awesome.

Well, LotR used quite a few celtic/northern European instruments - the hardanger, the bodhran, the whistle - so to me, the bagpipes are really a logical addition.

Logical indeed...but still surprising. The other Celtic instruments are still subtly presented in a way that creates a fantastical world we're introduced to. The bagpipes is far more recognizable in terms of ethnic roots and is more easier for mainstream ears to connect Middle-Earth with an earthly nation.

I have no problem with it, I was just very surprised. :P

Just heard the new cue. Absolutely wonderful! This is definitely a more sprightly high spirited affair than LotR (some might say far less turgid) and I'm loving the cohesion with the thematics already laid down. This is gonna be awesome.

I don't share the complaints that some have with LOTR because I believe that broadly stricken style was exactly what those films needed. But what I can say is that the action material in this new trilogy might even out-compete the great stuff in LOTR.

Bagpipes aren't necessarily a Northern European instrument, though. That seems to be a modern association.

Those were great new variations on the History of the Ring, a bit more active than the material in FotR or TTT and closer to RotK.

Neil Finn's song however has not grown on me.

Interesting. Ring's theme is clearly there, but he apparantly managed to somehow diminish it, as it is not an important element yet. Cool.

I'm really enjoying the samples so far.

Karol

Interesting. Ring's theme is clearly there, but he apparantly managed to somehow diminish it, as it is not an important element yet. Cool.

Karol

Yes it is intergrated more into the action rather than being the static singular element it usually is in LotR, very noticeable and very unchanging for a long time.

As much as I love the action in LotR, the samples make it clear that Shore has improved on that side of things. I can't wait to hear it in full form!

As for the ring theme, its prolonged statements in LOTR signify its importance and how its the focus of the trilogy. So many motifs were built off the harmonic structures of that themes, and it played such a significant role that whenever the Ring needed emphasis, the full theme had to always be played in its root form. Now that its no longer a main theme, and just a letimotif on the side, Shore can play with however he wants.

The action music also seems to have both his old shorter motivic approach where smaller ideas constitute a larger construct but it seems from the clips to be a bit more melodic than before, the Warg Riders material playing out that rolling longer melodic idea with hints of the rhythmic force of the Ringwraith material.

It is also lovely to hear from the samples alone how much new ideas Shore has composed for this new trilogy and how recognizable many are despite their relative brevity. I am itching to find out what they all represent. As I previously said I wonder if Doug Adams' liner notes will consist of CR styled discussion on themes and the score or will it be a more general introduction to the score with notes from the composer and director and some words from Mr. Adams.

I believe the film makers were in the know of the changes a bit more in advance than they let us know and I do not think the musical architecture changed all that much from what Shore had planned for the film. Even though the highest peak of the first film is now in the Misty Mountains (pardon the pun), the music logically follows and allows, judging from the samples, a great emotional and dramatic pay-off before the second film plunges us to the Anduin Vale and Mirkwood. If Shore had mapped those section of the film already or even composed music for them, I see no reason why this new split to three films would radically affect the music for those sequences. If he has composed ideas for say Wood Elves, Beorn and Spiders, those are still there waiting in the next film without much a hickup I would deem.

Might this be last minute revisions or new material altogether? PJ seems as keen as usual to push the post production as close to the deadline as possible. So either we are getting CRs or more Rarities if we are lucky. :)

maybe they are recording the music for the scenes they cut from the 1st movie to be put on the scond one. since they may have been finished and shore written music...they decided to record it in advance..

unlikely :P

o well i wanted complete threatical score now...

ok, listened to 4-5 of those amazon samples...

a good omen sounds absolutely fantastic... it's gonna be one of my favs. I can feel it. radagast the brown is rather addictive (still not gonna listen to the whole track). roast mutton... hah, it reminds me so much of some n64 game. banjo-kazooie, perhaps? I can't help it :(

Neil Finn's song however has not grown on me.

:(

Let's wait and see how much score from the film we will end up with. I know complete score would be of course every film and LotR score fan's dream but the pesky realities of film production get in the way. But over 2 hours of music on the first soundtrack release is something I am both grateful for and giddy about. This happens very rarely. I know a few scores like Mark Isham's The Conspirator that received such an extensive treatment but it is not for a movie or score of this scale.