Fanfare for Ten-Year-Olds (John Williams)

Thor

Yet again such wonderful research Thor! Thank you so much! :)

Alright, here's the deal.

I've been in contact with the Charleston Stage (previously The Young Charleston Theater Company), and it is through their libraries that we've been able to find a recording. Now before you get your hopes up, you need to know a few things:

The original performance was by the Charleston Symphony, and to their knowledge, no recording was made of this event (neither audio nor video). Unfortunately. Williams had intended to conduct himself, but had to decline because he was apparently ill in 1988 (what illness I do not know). But it's still pretty generous of him to write a fanfare based only on a letter from the founder of the group.

However, a studio recording of the piece was made which strips the piece down to a brass section of moderate size, some percussion and augmented by the type of chimes (electronic?) you hear in HOME ALONE. This is all that exists, I'm afraid, untill someone records it again. The sound quality is also a bit 'muffled'. Still, it's better than the piano reduction from the guy on Youtube that we've all had to suffice with for some years now.

I will not be able to put up a public link here for various reasons, but for those who are interested, you can send me a PM.

I seem to recall that he had some back problems in the late 80's. Might have that been the reason for declining the conducting request...

And great work again Thor!

I think that was the last fanfare we had never heard a recording of (piano or midi mock ups don't count for me as I can not envision what they really sound like)

Lets see Prince Philip, Dukakis, 10 years old...is there one I'm forgetting?

The sound quality is not worse than some other rare files we have

is the title :

Fanfare for Ten Year Olds or Ten Years Old. I was under the impression it's not for kids but the 10 year anniversary of some theater

I think that was the last fanfare we had never heard a recording of (piano or midi mock ups don't count for me as I can not envision what they really sound like)

The sound quality is not worse than some other rare files we have

is the title :

Fanfare for Ten Year Olds or Ten Years Old. I was under the impression it's not for kids but the 10 year anniversary of some theater

The Charleston founder told me it's "Ten-year-olds", not "Ten-years-old". It IS for the 10th anniversary, though, so maybe there's an intended double meaning there (theater company for kids + 10th anniversary).

By the way, while you could argue that the electronic chimes 'cheapen' the performance a bit, I think they add a certain charm....HOME ALONE-style. :)

Yeah, For 'the President's Own'. Now that we finally got every single fanfare they've premiered a new one (just a few days ago).

Thanks for your successful research, Thor!

Wow, it's like all this stuff is all of the sudden surfacing. There really needs to be a mop-up release that includes all these random concert works, performed by good and full orchestras with good sound quality.

That said, this has been a great week for JW fans--I can't believe we've finally heard Dukakis and 10 years!

Yeah, For 'the President's Own'. Now that we finally got every single fanfare they've premiered a new one (just a few days ago).

Don't forget he'll also premiere a fanfare/ceremonial piece for the Gettysburg 150th Anniversary next June.

Don't forget he'll also premiere a fanfare/ceremonial piece for the Gettysburg 150th Anniversary next June.

What about Celebration Fanfare? I have the piano sheet from "Fanfare and Themes", but does anyone have an actual recording?

Same with We're Lookin Good, but I have the marching band versions.