Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Why did I just watch a video of a lonely old man locked up in a pretty house with two dogs and a piano?

I guess watching a ladies man surrounded by hot babes (and a piano) in a groovy 1970's LA bungalow pool party would have been more suited to your liking.

They told me there was no film in that camera....

Why did I just watch a video of a lonely old man locked up in a pretty house with two dogs and a piano?

I guess watching a ladies man surrounded by hot babes (and a piano) in a groovy 1970's LA bungalow pool party would have been more suited to your liking.

They told me there was no film in that camera....

Ah classic Howard. Always doing gags like that, keeping his life in LA a secret.

I hear he and Williams host wild parties bordering on the ritualistic, with the most exclusive of guest lists, at a secret beach estate where the password is "Fidelio." That's actually why he scaled back on his work for DoS.

The original Q&A from Doug Adams' twitter:

Peter Clarke @PSCTW 11 h

@DougAdamsMusic Can you explain a bit about the 4 final tracks on the special edition of the soundtrack? Unused/Alternatives/Thematic Suites?

Doug Adams @DougAdamsMusic 10 h

@PSCTW Most of them are "theme-suites" as you say. The original, "pure" settings of thematic material featured in the score

In your face, gyver boy!

And this is, gentlemen, how a sophisticated man shows his magnanimity in victory.

He said "most of them". Which means question that need answering, blame that needs to be taken, heads that need to roll.

:P

Karol

Yes I know. ;)

This means more conspiracies, blood, guts, suffering, guilt, DRAMA!

He said "most of them".

Well, there's The Edge Of The Wild which isn't a theme presentation, so that explains the "most of them".

Oh snap! No more conspiracies, blood, guts, suffering, guilt, DRAMA! Just ice cold arithmetic!

Well, obviously The Edge of the Wild is an alternate for Over Hill plus deleted footage.

Well I am glad we finally got the explanation or rather confirmation to what most of us have suspected for a long time. :)

By the way, I'm liking the theme heard at the beginning of that track more and more every time I listen to it.

I also like the cool winding string bridge melody after the actual travelling theme and snippet of the Misty Mountains theme with those earthy woodwind tones underneath.

Makes you wonder if that opening theme wasn't Shore's own original theme for Thorin's company or something to that direction.

We Artsy people can be so pretentious about what we do. It makes me cringe sometimes.

"It all begins with million dollar gardens and estates. And then it's very internal. And then I have a symphony."

Blumenkohl, an occasionally artsy person.

interesting,

all of the disrespect and negativity towards PJ, considering without him and his vision Shore's Middle-earth would not exist.

Not to mention, no one seemed to have issues with PJ's musical selections in the original trilogy...but now that the expectations are impossibly high there are no hesitations to crucify PJ.

interesting,

interesting,

all of the disrespect and negativity towards PJ, considering without him and his vision Shore's Middle-earth would not exist.

Not to mention, no one seemed to have issues with PJ's musical selections in the original trilogy...but now that the expectations are impossibly high there are no hesitations to crucify PJ.

interesting,

In all fairness you weren't around here during the first trilogy (unless you have been lurking for a long time) so you don't know how much criticism PJ has gotten here. ;)

Makes you wonder if that opening theme wasn't Shore's own original theme for Thorin's company or something to that direction.

As I once said in one of my previous posts, I believe Shore originally had planned to use two themes for the Company: his own, which he probably came up with when reading the book, before he even started working on the film, and the Plan 9's theme. But then PJ went apeshit with the Plan 9 theme and asked him to use it as much as possible, to the detriment of the other theme. Well, at least, that's my theory.

I think it's possible this theme will be developped in DOS, though (at least I hope so).

EDIT: Just remembered the statement heard at the end of The World Is Ahead doesn't appear in the film. Doesn't look good for that theme, then...

Uhmm ,why do people still refer to the Erebor track's theme as a solely independent new theme of its own. As I've said many times before, I thought it seemed obvious that it's a statement of "Bilbo's Adventure", or a more robust variation of it...

Is this the real deal or a fan made cover? If it is genuine, source please!

EDIT: Oh it is from Amazon.

So, if the CD version is two discs, how many "discs" is the vinyl? (or is it a 1 disc CD :folder: )

It might be that the regular edition is 1 CD this time, whereas the SE would be on two discs. Would make more sense as well.

OK BB, make yourself Music Composed by Howard Shore. Orchestrated and Conducted by Conrad Pope custom cover. ;)

Karol

So, if the CD version is two discs, how many "discs" is the vinyl? (or is it a 1 disc CD :folder: )

It might be that the regular edition is 1 CD this time, whereas the SE would be on two discs. Would make more sense as well.

Karol

There is a special edition mentioned on the Amazon site. Fingers crossed it will be 2 discs this time around as well.

This reminds me of the TV program about his "The Fly" opera that I recorded last year and still haven't watched... which I should remedy.

Where could I find it?

Karol

Nah the standard will be two discs:

First disc called Flight of the Dragon

Second disc called Experiments from the Vatican with a 28 minute track called "Conrad Pope's Digital Sketchbook".

:lol:

n

Second disc called Experiments from the Vatican with a 28 minute track called "Conrad Pope's Original Sketchbook".

This is not a loling matter...

:D

Karol

Wry smiles then! Try to hide that lol Karol!

OK BB, make yourself Music Composed by Howard Shore. Orchestrated and Conducted by Conrad Pope custom cover. ;)

Oh, I will!

Remember to add "DoS recording process orchetrated by Peter Jackson"