Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

If I were you, I wouldn't take any risks, and buy it drectly from the American Amazon store.

The Decca version was the cheap-looking one, right?

Yup. The Decca one is the cheap-o version. On the other hand it takes a while longer for the Amazon US stuff to arrive. My eternal problem with ordering abroad. If I am lucky the CD comes out here at the same time as everwhere else and if I am not I will be waiting for an extra week or two for the CD to arrive.

Yup. The Decca one is the cheap-o version. On the other hand it takes a while longer for the Amazon US stuff to arrive. My eternal problem with ordering abroad. If I am lucky the CD comes out here at the same time as everwhere else and if I am not I will be waiting for an extra week or two for the CD to arrive.

Just buy the standard version at Amazon.co.uk or something like that, so you'll receive it early, making the wait for the special edition more tolerable. ;)

I won't order until I know if the regular OST has something that is missing from the SE. ;)

Is the OST only 1 disc? That's a surprise, but understandable.

The purple colour scheme really suits this design and adds a touch of elegance to it. Hopefully you won't end up with those cheap cardboard covers again ;)

Yes I checked Amazon (both US and UK) and they list only 1 disc for the regular OST.

And yes I am hoping Europe will receive a sturdier SE case this time since the previous one feels both flimsy and cheap in comparison with the international one.

Amazon UK and US list 10th of December as the release date but neither version is available for order yet.

:o Did I completely miss this? There's a version with better case out there? I was kind of disappointed last year when the I got the CD and the packaging didn't live up to the LotR collector's editions (with textured faux-leather exterior).

Ok so it seems that the 1-minute previews of each track appeared on 8th November last year, on qubuz. The press release came on the 2nd November, and Radagast the Brown appeared online on the 5th. The Empire full listen was on the 13th I think.

Remains to be seen if all this happens again though.

Maybe there is no end credits song :0

I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this. It is time for a kick-ass end credits suite!

I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this. It is time for a kick-ass end credits suite!

It is time for Jackson to have an end credits Suite assembled by his editors.

It is time for Jackson to have an end credits Suite assembled by his editors.

I see that this is when the hope of men fails Georg! Hour of the editors and when film makers break all bonds of fellowship!

Well if both versions are 2 CDs with almost identical content, it would be kind of pointless to do a Special Edition.

If the AUJ standard edition had the bonus tracks, I would prefer it to the SE, with the cheap cardboard, frustrating packaging etc.

I hope that the standard edition is indeed one disc. Alongside the CRs, the LotR OSTs feel special in their own way with a very compact listening experience, as well as giving us the joy of all the unreleased music some years later.

The double disc AUJ took away from that really.

I hope that the standard edition is indeed one disc. Alongside the CRs, the LotR OSTs feel special in their own way with a very compact listening experience, as well as giving us the joy of all the unreleased music some years later.

The double disc AUJ took away from that really.

Well, but then because of all the microedits and such we would have unreleased alternates lying around, like the unmicroedited Shadows of the Past etc.

I've felt the LotR OSTs butchered the score too much with all the edits and microedits to to make a truly enjoyable listening experience. Many tracks just don't flow well. The RotK OST is the best one but I'd take the CRs any day :)

Us score fans have the SE (and hopefully CR), I feel like we need a shorter version that will appeal to a wider audience featuring most of the best cues. This audience won't be bothered by this 'butchering' since they won't even notice it. I feel like the Hobbit film score was way more 'butchered' than the LOTR OSTs.

The FOTR score was altered a slight bit, but back then there was a little more care put into it, so it was not as noticeable, and it actually helped the film (the tracking of the Ring theme in a few places, some music dropped out etc.) in the way of mood and such

I don't! Thats why I am trying to avoid this forum like the plague until the 5th!

The 5th? Of November? December? What happens on the 5th?

I don't! Thats why I am trying to avoid this forum like the plague until the 5th!

The 5th of November? Don't you remember, remember?

The 5th of November? Don't you remember, remember?

The Gunpowder treason and plot?