Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I always thought releasing the full score online for free a month before the CD released was a stupid PR move anyway. Samples, I understand, but the whole score? I think they were just trying to rebuild the hype for Middle-Earth last year after a 10-year absence. Now that everyone is back in the game, I don't see any reason to release the entire score again.

And now that the people they wanted to pull back into the game are pushed away from the game after seeing AUJ, they need to be pulled back into the game again ;)

Precisely! :)

But seriously, why would they want to release the whole score online for free?

Some new form of lunacy?

Yes that's my point exactly! There are tonnes of lovely quieter moments that aren't necessarily memorable significant moments from seeing the film once but that I'd love to get in the CRs.

Huh? That little bit with Bilbo being invisible was a significant moment from the first few times I saw FOTR.

That was a fantastic moment that really stood out positively during my first viewing of the film. I remember thinking that it is a shame it was not on the album.

I am listening to FotR CR as I type and something like Orthanc, as short a cue as it is, is something I really wanted to have after watching the film for the first time.

I think they were just trying to rebuild the hype for Middle-Earth last year after a 10-year absence. Now that everyone is back in the game, I don't see any reason to release the entire score again. I mean I'd love to see it happen, but doubt it'll be the case.

Yeah I agree about this. I'm not holding out too much hope for a repeat of that this year.

Let's put it this way. Whoever authorised the full stream last year should have known about its consequences. I don't see why this year should be different.

Yes that's my point exactly! There are tonnes of lovely quieter moments that aren't necessarily memorable significant moments from seeing the film once but that I'd love to get in the CRs.

Huh? That little bit with Bilbo being invisible was a significant moment from the first few times I saw FOTR.

That was a fantastic moment that really stood out positively during my first viewing of the film. I remember thinking that it is a shame it was not on the album.

I am listening to FotR CR as I type and something like Orthanc, as short a cue as it is, is something I really wanted to have after watching the film for the first time.

I remember the first cue I really wanted after watching FOTR was the one playing when Aragorn and the Hobbits are leaving Bree. Bloody love that Fellowship theme statement!

It is fantastic! I prefer the EE version but the TE is almost as good. Another favourite of mine is Gilraen's Memorial and that new EE version of the company leaving Rivendell. Those poignant strings as Frodo is stepping out onto the road and the choir that comes after. Such beauty. I am glad Shore included that into the LotR symphony. :)

I remember the first cue I really wanted after watching FOTR was the one playing when Aragorn and the Hobbits are leaving Bree. Bloody love that Fellowship theme statement!

It is fantastic! I prefer the EE version but the TE is almost as good. Another favourite of mine is Gilraen's Memorial and that new EE version of the company leaving Rivendell. Those poignant strings as Frodo is stepping out onto the road and the choir that comes after. Such beauty. I am glad Shore included that into the LotR symphony. :)

LOVE that bit!

Let's all storm into Shore's office demanding music. I'm sure he won't mind.

It shall be the last march of the LotR fans!

He won't be there. He will in NZ by now. For the DoS EE documentaries. ;)

Be reasonable here, why would you put Howard Shore in front of a camera when you have Conrad Pope?

Be reasonable here, why would you put Howard Shore in front of a camera when you have Conrad Pope?

True. Very few men can compete with the Pope.

When I was in California, all week long I heard her song "Royals" on the radio at least once an hour. It was played on the local alternative, rock, pop, and rap stations. Crazy.

I predict another male singer for DOS.

Oh just give me an end credits suite and end this talk of the singers once and for all!

On the ee appendices for Journey, Phillipa boyens said they didn't think they'd have a song at all first. Then they thought about a straight reprise of misty mountains, but it was too slow. Then they randomly heard Neil Finn on the radio or something and thought he could do it. So the fact that there's been no announcement this late in the game makes me wonder if there will be one. Or maybe they'll track Gollums song, and The Horse will plead with us that it never really had anything to do with Gollum but was a "Battle for Middle Earth is about to begin" theme ;)

The song's going to be performed by Lorde. She's an up and coming NZ singer-songwriter.

Is this confirmed? Because I'd rather she doesn't. I was hoping for male singers for these films. Or not at all.

It probably is, but I didn't like how it just came out of the blue, and the New Zealand-ness of it all. Perhaps I might have got it had I actually heard of her beforehand.

As it is though, it's increasingly looking like no song, especially given what Boyens said. Unless they just play 'Song of the Lonely Mountain' at the end of every film...

It probably is, but I didn't like how it just came out of the blue, and the New Zealand-ness of it all. Perhaps I might have got it had I actually heard of her beforehand.

As it is though, it's increasingly looking like no song, especially given what Boyens said. Unless they just play 'Song of the Lonely Mountain' at the end of every film...

That would be sad, but I can't say I'd be surprised if it happened.

Lorde???? Seriously? Wow, she's talented but her music doesn't suggest Middle Earth to me at all. But it's quite possible she could surprise us. She's a lot younger and at a much earlier stage in her career than Enya, Annie Lennox, or Neil Finn, so she might shake things up a bit.

Give me my Elvish choral piece for the credits! That's all that will satisfy me now! No need for a silly ballad about barrels, Beornings, or mirky wood. Spare us The Master of Laketown's Song and Into the Desolation. Give it to us a capella and wriggling! You keep nasty songs!