Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

No.

Shouty and wild as ever huh?

When did I shout?

I kind of assume you are shouting half of the time when you do your Messengering.

Again, I pity the Horse.

He must be sick of all this fanboy speculation and misgivings. And frankly, having participated in it, I'm getting a bit sick of it all together.

How about we whine and moan after the score is released? If it really turns out poorly, we can always blame Pope ;)

Oh I have nothing to worry about. Howard Shore's The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug is going to be a great score! :)

At the moment I am more intrigued by the releases. Will there be 2 versions, Regular and Special edition, and will they be both 2 disc releases like last year? We know there will be a double LP coming out as well (or so it says on the Amazon).

I wasn't reassured by what Doug said, because what he said was obvious. I really cannot understand the concern and speculation of people on here. I have every confidence that this score will be sublime, as good if not better than the first installment, which to me was a masterpiece, both the early version as heard on album and the later version heard in the film. I'm also intrigued to see how they handle the release this time, both in content and quality. Hopefully a press release will be imminent from WT as well as the big reveal of the end credits singer!

I predict that the standard release will be 1 CD* and the special edition will be 2 CDs. The standard will be similar to the LORT OSTs and the special edition to match last years. At least, that's how it currently looks to me.

*if it's a double LP then that sounds about right. 2 LPs is about a CDs worth of music.

I'm firmly in the Nick Cave camp at this point.

That'd be great. I think he has a great voice for what will presumably be a darker song for a darker film.

He was pictured at the London AUJ premiere last year with his kids. Even if he didn't like the film (he could have done for all I know), we can hope they did and might convince him to do it!

I predict that the standard release will be 1 CD* and the special edition will be 2 CDs. The standard will be similar to the LORT OSTs and the special edition to match last years. At least, that's how it currently looks to me.

*if it's a double LP then that sounds about right. 2 LPs is about a CDs worth of music.

I am curious will there be again exclusive content on both releases, Regular and SE like last time. If that means more music then by all means. :)

He was pictured at the London AUJ premiere last year with his kids. Even if he didn't like the film (he could have done for all I know), we can hope they did and might convince him to do it!

He did a song for a film PJ produced IIRC so I guess they could be friends. I hope it happens anyway!

I am curious will there be again exclusive content on both releases, Regular and SE like last time. If that means more music then by all means. :)

I'll buy them all anyway [/fanboy]

He did a song for a film PJ produced IIRC so I guess they could be friends. I hope it happens anyway!

I see he wrote the score for West of Memphis, which was produced by Jackson, so you could be right. Fingers crossed.

Are you serious?

What do you mean? That I didn't know?

Karol

I don't think it is very curious that Karol didn't know that. It is just a piece of minute Williams trivia that has passed him by. Apparently John Williams hurt his back while scoring Jurassic Park and Artie Kane had to step in and conduct a good portion of the score for him.

From Conrad Pope's facebook:

C'est fini. The party's over. It's a wrap. One more day with an Abbey Road remote and it's home!

1384257_10201685405409861_1616376769_n.j

And from the comments:

I'm presently in Wellington, New Zealand with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra ( the folks I finished conducting a score with this evening). We'll go to the the studio's remote facility and via a satellite hook-up record musicians/singers at Abbey Road ( under the supervision of the assembled music team for this picture in NZ) and then I'll return home to L.A.

No it is the head-throwing bit. I always think Azog looks better in the flashback, a more natural colour rather than the bluey/white hue he takes on in the current timeline.

It was a pic from Empire's article with Manu Bennett from a few months ago.

The fact that the score is wrapped at this point gives me the creeps.

Ha! That's what he thinks! He went home once thinking he was done, and they called him back. I wouldn't be surprised if Pope gets called back again for additional music recording.

He doesn't have a stubble, circles around the eyes, doesn't look unhealthy and exhausted (with a pinch of depression) in general... Nah, he's not done yet. Mark my words!

Karol

I still wonder why Pope. Or more precisely, why no Shore. If he really is "locked up" somewhere nice, so he can write music in peace, and follows the sessions via oversea webcam, I would say it's probably not a bad thing for creativity.

I still have my doubts though how precisely you can communicate performance-wise over webcam through a conductor to an orchestra.

By the way, that "Music composed by Howard Shore" credit does indeed look somewhat lonely and sad.

He doesn't have a stubble, circles around the eyes, doesn't look unhealthy and exhausted (with a pinch of depression) in general... Nah, he's not done yet. Mark my words!

Karol

He will come to hate Jackson and The Hobbit before the end! They always do....;)

I still wonder why Pope. Or more precisely, why no Shore. If he really is "locked up" somewhere nice, so he can write music in peace, and follows the sessions via oversea webcam, I would say it's probably not a bad thing for creativity.

I still have my doubts though how precisely you can communicate performance-wise over webcam through a conductor to an orchestra.

By the way, that "Music composed by Howard Shore" credit does indeed look somewhat lonely and sad.

Well granted Jackson and JNH never met until the King Kong premiere, I think its possible. I know, different situation, but just goes to show the potential of technology.

And yes, that credit does look rather lonely...

So Beorn is a bear in more than one meaning of the word then?

Karol

Oh this is getting close to innuendo again...

No not close. It is pure innuendo!

Yeah I also like the colour scheme.

Now there is also a bigger difference (probably) between the OST and the Special Edition since the OST is only 1 disc. I am intrigued do we have to double dip to get all the music, meaning does the OST this time around contain something the SE does not.

And hopefully there will be another set of informative liner notes coming our way with these releases. With some choral lyrics perhaps? ;)

Is the OST only 1 disc? That's a surprise, but understandable.

The purple colour scheme really suits this design and adds a touch of elegance to it. Hopefully you won't end up with those cheap cardboard covers again ;)

Is the OST only 1 disc? That's a surprise, but understandable.

The purple colour scheme really suits this design and adds a touch of elegance to it. Hopefully you won't end up with those cheap cardboard covers again ;)

Yes I checked Amazon (both US and UK) and they list only 1 disc for the regular OST.

And yes I am hoping Europe will receive a sturdier SE case this time since the previous one feels both flimsy and cheap in comparison with the international one.

Amazon UK and US list 10th of December as the release date but neither version is available for order yet.