FILM: Man Of Steel

gkgyver

I thought he made/makes a lot of good points. Not all of them are ironclad, but my ambivalence toward the film made a lot more sense after reading it.

You need someone else to explain to you why you had issues with the film?

Perhaps I worded that poorly. His perspective fleshed out or complemented my issues. I knew going out of the film that I felt the action overtook the film in a way that wasn't constructive, that the devastation was overwhelming and not addressed adequately, that the film set up a lot of thematic material and character possibilities that it ultimately neglected. As with any meeting of ideas, his own comments enhanced my thought process; a lot of the things he was saying resonated with the things I was thinking about the film already.

Somethings strange about this Superman movie though, because I find the amount of deep analysis and critical thought coming from those who claim to dislike it rather at odds with what normally happens after a person fails to engage with a movie. I mean, what's with all the thorough dissection from these people? Was I the only one who just went along for the ride?

Is there any worth in studying the inner workings of an entertainment we apparently do not enjoy?

Which is why I've said very little about this cruddy movie.

very well said.

btw there is a deleted scene where clark goes to the hearing doctor and ends up destroying the doctors equipment by a super scream.

Somethings strange about this Superman movie though, because I find the amount of deep analysis and critical thought coming from those who claim to dislike it rather at odds with what normally happens after a person fails to engage with a movie. I mean, what's with all the thorough dissection from these people? Was I the only one who just went along for the ride?

Is there any worth in studying the inner workings of an entertainment we apparently do not enjoy?

If you want to just go along for the ride, you can. I do think there is worth in studying the inner workings of an entertainment I/we apparently do not enjoy, although that may have a lot to do with my aspirations in storytelling/filmmaking. I want to try to gain some understanding of why I didn't like it, what didn't work for me--what could I do differently that would be effective? In this particular situation, as Hulk mentioned in his essay, this is an especially divisive film of a major figure in pop culture, with large groups either loving it or hating it. So beyond why I didn't like it, why did others like it (as far as I can tell)? Going in this direction can then transcend discussing story mechanics and film-making craft (which is good itself), into thoughts on culture and other people in a (hopefully) empathetic manner.

The logic that you don't say anything about a movie you didn't like is very one-dimensional. There are movies you're indifferent to, there are movies you don't like and don't find worth mentioning, there are films so bad that you just have to talk about them, and there are movies that piss you off because they mean something to you, and you just have to vent about it in prolonged fashion. Man Of Steel belongs to the latter category. I didn't crucify MoS because I find it so interesting to analyse. I went into greater detail because I needed to get it out of my system.

I don't feel like indulging into it again.

The less said about MoS, the better.

Just maybe one thing; I watched Superman Return again, and considering all the pretentious crap surrounding MoS, Returns has way more heart than this shallow affair.

I went along for the ride and an hour into it I couldn't decide whether I wanted the driver to stop the bus or keep going.

To be quite frank my issues with the film stem not from creative choices, nor the tone, nor Zimmer. Comments on various elements (like Metropolis destruction) come from me trying to rationalize my Man of Steel experience.

And the fact is I was so incredibly bored while watching it. Can't remember Superman Returns dragging this much and that is saying something. An hour into the film I stopped following anything, thought of my groceries shopping, whether to call my mother, that I'd rather sit in the pub. Stuff like that.

Karol

I didn't crucify MoS because I find it so interesting to analyse. I went into greater detail because I needed to get it out of my system.

Get it out of your system? A friggin' movie?! Oh deary me.

I didn't crucify MoS because I find it so interesting to analyse. I went into greater detail because I needed to get it out of my system.

Get it out of your system? A friggin' movie?! Oh deary me.

oh please, don't pretend you've not been passionate or hard core over a particular film.

Hang on Joey - one's I love, absolutely. But no, I'm not interested in the masturbatory ritual that is the mean deconstruction of a movie purely out of a sad lust and desire to leech some sort pathetic satisfaction out of the process. That's your game, clearly. Don't ever fucking lump me in with you and gkg.

what a fucking liar you are.

you gig is that you feign the I'm too above this to show any interest.

you're so disingenious.

Why is everybody being so mean to each other around here lately? Is it the heat?

Can't we all just get along?

Won't somebody please think of the children?

I don't wear boots.

What do you wear? I love boots. I've got a pair of Lacoste which are 13 years old and still good as new.

Why is everybody being so mean to each other around here lately? Is it the heat?

I see it now... Everything. We always used to take digs at FSM, they're the mean and unmoderated ones! The ones without respect and humility and the ability to follow streamlined discussion. JWFan is the place to be! But like a budding nebula, we were simply generations behind in our development cycle. FSM is the dying star on the fortnight of supernova. We have simply progressed long enough to catch up with them. The end is nigh.

Won't somebody please think of the children?

I don't wear boots.

What do you wear? I love boots. I've got a pair of Lacoste which are 13 years old and still good as new.

I'm a sneaker guy, espeically light weighted ones. I have some cowboy boots, osterich and rattlesnake but I haven't worn them in a decade.

To be quite frank my issues with the film stem not from creative choices, nor the tone, nor Zimmer. Comments on various elements (like Metropolis destruction) come from me trying to rationalize my Man of Steel experience.

And the fact is I was so incredibly bored while watching it. Can't remember Superman Returns dragging this much and that is saying something. An hour into the film I stopped following anything, thought of my groceries shopping, whether to call my mother, that I'd rather sit in the pub. Stuff like that.

Karol

Well, I followed it with some curiosity right up until Lois discovers Superman, who then leaves her in the middle of nowhere (and wounded no less). In a way boring is the right word to describe it. The movie does nothing to keep you interested. During the whole movie, I just waited for some sort of payoff for the whole thing, some kind of point being made or some great moment to think "that was worth it". It didn't happen.

I also couldn't believe that I though publicist (I think it was him who said it) was right, MoS was practically the only movie I ever saw at theatres during which I had the urge to get up and leave.

I see it now... Everything. We always used to take digs at FSM, they're the mean and unmoderated ones! The ones without respect and humility and the ability to follow streamlined discussion. JWFan is the place to be! But like a budding nebula, we were simply generations behind in our development cycle. FSM is the dying star on the fortnight of supernova. We have simply progressed long enough to catch up with them. The end is nigh.

I mentioned that in another thread and was told we're just playing around.

I wear sneakers and casual dress shoes.

I mentioned that in another thread and was told we're just playing around.

I wear sneakers and a casual dress.

OH MY!!!!

Sexy concept, isn't it!

Btw, to those who consider Snyder a hack. What are we to think about his decision of shooting on film instead of digital for what is a big effects film?

Does that not show some artistic commitment?

I'm okay with film or digital, not sure I could tell the difference in a big budget film.

Btw, to those who consider Snyder a hack. What are we to think about his decision of shooting on film instead of digital for what is a big effects film?

Does that not show some artistic commitment?

Why would that or the decision to shoot on digital show any artistic commitment at all in particular? You must shoot on something, why is one "more artistic" than the other?

Stanton shot John Carter on film, basically because he was curious about the process and that's it.

Not really. Any of that can be achieved digitally regardless. Skyfall looks more natural than Man Of Steel does.

I wouldn't say that, although I love Deakins's work on SKYFALL. The giveaways in that film are the use of very low lighting (even the fastest film stocks on the market couldn't handle the lighting in SKYFALL) and how the blacks/shadows roll off into a murky smudge. The chapel scene is a good example.