Morricone To Conduct Concerts In LA And NY

Koray Savas

Oh tell me more, tell more more, publicist! I've missed Morricone concerts twice in Poland and don't want that to happen again. And Berlin is on my list of places to visit in the coming months. Some of my friends live there and it's been forever since our last meeting.

And yes, Koray. You should go - Ennio turns 85 next month (in 20 days to be exact), so it's now or never. However, morbid it might sound...

EDIT: Oh never mind, found the concert and bought my ticket for Berlin concert (it's 11/02/2014, isn't it?). :D

Karol - who has to admit seeing it in Paris a week before is tempting as well

And Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Prague and some others.

The million dollar question is whether he plans to conduct all of those... He can be quite fickle, I'm told.

Karol

Oh tell me more, tell more more, publicist! I've missed Morricone concerts twice in Poland and don't want that to happen again. And Berlin is on my list of places to visit in the coming months. Some of my friends live there and it's been forever since our last meeting.

And yes, Koray. You should go - Ennio turns 85 next month (in 20 days to be exact), so it's now or never. However, morbid it might sound...

EDIT: Oh never mind, found the concert and bought my ticket for Berlin concert (it's 11/02/2014, isn't it?). :D

Karol - who has to admit seeing it in Paris a week before is tempting as well

Yeah, its Tue, 2/11/14, 8:00 PM at o2 World Berlin, which is a terribly large event hall (i would have preferred a more classy environment but nobody asked me, again). Just give me a honk when you arrive, we can see in the lobby.

Whoa, the ticket arrived in less than 24 hours. Impressive!

Koray, we might as well turn it into "Morricone's 50 years of work 2014 world tour" thread or something like that.

Karol

• 3 months later...

Looks like this 85th Birthday world tour is an official farewell series of concerts from Ennio.

If anybody is interested here is the info on Dublin concert in December, the nearest one for people living in the UK. I'm going to one in Berlin on Tuesday, but who know - I might go to this one as well. The tickets are expensive, but getting to Dublin is relatively cheap.

Karol

Nice. Gonna try for that one as well

2844.yoda-do-or-do-not.jpg

Of course another great sage gives you this advice:

I'll try!

vTByZZ.jpg

If anybody is interested here is the info on Dublin concert in December, the nearest one for people living in the UK. I'm going to one in Berlin on Tuesday, but who know - I might go to this one as well. The tickets are expensive, but getting to Dublin is relatively cheap.

I didn't know he was touring all year long. I'll be at his Vienna concert Sunday next week.

Bloody hell? Those prices!

I would like to go, but the cheapest one is 70 euro.

No program on the website i found.

Here's the Berlin program, prices ranged between 60 and 100€:

post-4010-0-17257100-1392167254_thumb.jp

post-4010-0-46872300-1392167298_thumb.jp

The hall was full, so around 15.000 people attended, at least. The acoustics were a catastrophe but the concert itself sure was worth it, almost no universally acknowledged movie was on the menu but EM (who could be some space alien as far as i'm concerned;) held them firmly under his spell. Things like ABOLICA which hardly anyone knew surely won the people over, stuff like CHI MAI or MADDALENA too.

The only questionable thing was to repeat 3 pieces from the concert as encores - i finally pleaded to him to just play the Raider's March as bouncer. They most wonderful thing, to me, was a little 12-minute introduction video that was almost presented like an abstract study on the thought process of a modern composer with awfully dissonant music behind it. I guess that made some people very anxious what to expect from the next 2 hours, but of course Morricone is a canny old fox who knows how to play an audience.

He was really lively for A 85 year old.

No question that Morricone is real popstar among regular audiences.

The programme itself was really predictable ( with few surprises) but the whole thing was hugely entertaining.

Karol

Wow, great programme! America, the spaghetti-westerns, Abolicao, Desert of the Tartars, The Mission! Damn, I'm so envious of you guys... I hope someday I get the chance to see the maestro live too, but alas, I don't think I've got much time left.

Cross your fingers that you have better acoustics.

I know I won't. The Stadthalle acoustics aren't great to begin with, and an amplified orchestra sounds like shit at best anyway. I heard the LOTR symphony there and it the acoustics were awful.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Morricone already cancelled one concert in Istanbul due to health reasons and fell off a podium during another in Zurich. Oh dear, maybe this world tour wasn't such a good idea after all. Hope he gets better.

Karol

He conducted the Vienna concert seated in a chair because of sciatica troubles (which started only two days earlier). Yet at the same time they announced that they'd fixed another date with him for next year (!) because sales were so good. It was slightly worrying.

Has there ever been a composer that has died at the podium?

Nearly.

Also, conductors Joseph Keilberth and Giuseppe Sinopoli both died while conducting a concert.

I still hope that he turns up in London (the Dublin concert was announced just last week).

He is scheduled to be at the O2 Arena in North Greenwich on 10th December 2014. I know Ennio's an absolute legend, but they're having a giraffe with the ticket prices, unless the cost includes a free pair of powerful Gestapo binoculars.

http://www.theo2.co.uk/event/ennio-morricone-20141210.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Somehow I was afraid something like this could happen back when he announced his massive tour. I guess I was lucky, the Vienna concert must have been one of the last ones so far.

Morricone's lawyer Giorgio Assumma released yesterday this statement to national newspapers:

"Maestro Morricone is suffering for some months from a troublesome herniated disc that precludes him to conduct and to make the long trips this duty entails. On mandatory indication of the doctors, Morricone had to refuse many offers made ​​by Italian and foreign impresarios. The Maestro, however, will continue his regular commitment to the composition of film scores, hoping that a restoration of his health, which, however, is not expected in the short term, will enable future participation in three concerts, which will be held only in the city of Rome."

http://www.lastampa.it/2014/05/19/spettacoli/stop-ai-concerti-per-morricone-IcL2h6cnygjgd638FSXXkL/pagina.html

Let's wish Ennio a full recovery in timely fashion.