What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

On 1/4/2019 at 10:05 AM, Alexcremers said:

You have to sit right in the middle with this one though ...

Thats the advantage of a curved screen

The picture looks great from a wide range. It also helps tp have great peripheral vision.

I hate curved screens

Got my TV Sony HDR TV today. Picture is amazing

I'm convinced I made the best purchase of all the non-oled TV's out there

Have you already changed the settings for watching movies? They always sell TVs with Motion enhancers 'on'. This might be nice for sports or games, but it changes movies into cheap soap operas.

Coming from Plasma, I never had to deal with Motion enhancers, but you LEDsters probably didn't know any better. Except for videophiles, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people prefer to leave it 'on' because they think it looks better. 

Salesmen always leave it 'on' when they try to impress you. You had to see the look on the salesman's face when I said: Sorry, the demo with the splashing paint looks good but the film clip looks terrible. It was an OLED screen with all the bells and whistles put to the max. They really think it improves the picture ... and it seems to work with most of the customers.

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Have you already changed the settings for watching movies? They always sell TVs with Motion enhancers 'on'. This might be nice for sports or games, but it changes movies into cheap soap operas.

yeah I  hate that too so I'll  adjust the settings in consequence. I think it's off by default on this TV though. There is one motion enhancer that doesn't add soap opera effect and makes moving objects and text smoother. On my old LG TV I had to set TruMotion with  Judder at 0 and Blur at 10

Overall the most stunning image quality difference is for 4KHDR videogames (with PS4Pro), BluRays look better especially dark scenes (probably because the native contrast ration  is way better on this Sony than my old TV ) and regular 1080i cable TV looks about the same as my old TV ( so getting a 4K HDR TV JUST for cable TV would be a waste of money)

I haven't tried 4K netflix yet or ultra blurays

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 2:51 AM, Alexcremers said:

Coming from Plasma, I never had to deal with Motion enhancers, but you LEDsters probably didn't know any better. Except for videophiles, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people prefer to leave it 'on' because they think it looks better. 

The Panasonic VT60 plasma had a motion enhancer, but the effect was different to the LED versions.

I bet you opted to leave it 'on', right? I had three plasma TVs and they had no 'motion' tricks. I still use the Samsung 51" Plasma for watching regular TV and the OLED 65" for watching TV series and movies. The Samsung looks small now. 

14 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I bet you opted to leave it 'on', right?

It had three levels, low, mid and high. I opted for low because leaving it off led to some unpleasantly obvious judder on pretty much all content. Low level looked natural enough.

We love our curved screen. It has better viewing angles over a flat screen. Love that my new 4k player is curved as is my soundbar. 

Its easy to turn of the motion enhancement

I simply  tell Alexa to complete the task.

18 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

We love our curved screen. It has better viewing angles over a flat screen.

Not over a flat OLED TV, which has perfect viewing angles, because it's OLED.

A few years ago, curved TVs were severely being pushed here in Europe. However, it didn't really catch on, and now it's almost impossible to find one in the shops.

There was a time that I considered it because lack of demand made the price of curved OLED screens very attractive, but since I also do photo editing on my TV, I decided not to go through with it.

I'm not sure how curved screens can have better viewing angles. If your watching from the left, then the right side and middle of the TV would be good but the left side would be worse .And the whole screen would seem smaller

One problem I have is that I wear -7 glasses for my myopia and it makes the screen look about 15% smaller than it is because of the lens optics . I don't like wearing contact lenses  at night when I play games or watch TV

On 1/24/2019 at 10:33 PM, King Mark said:

I'm not sure how curved screens can have better viewing angles. If your watching from the left, then the right side and middle of the TV would be good but the left side would be worse .And the whole screen would seem smaller

The data online is conclusive that your thoughts are incorrect.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, dougie said:

Will How the West Was Won look even curvier on a curved screen?

1techno0909.jpg

This is also incorrect. Cue the price is right loser music..The black bands are equal from side to side and top and bottom. 

My once favorite movie theatre Ciné Rubens (where I've seen Star Wars, 2001: ASO, Alien, Blade Runner, etc.) not only had the biggest screen in Belgium, it also had a 'serious' inward curve. All the classic movie theatres in my town are gone now and replaced decades ago with impersonal concrete multiplexes.

rubens-2.jpg

The seats and the sound of Cine Rubens weren't great, but I didn't care, the image is what was 'essential' to me.

True. I guess that's why Joey is saving for a 88" screen. It will only have effect if you sit close enough.

The photo of Ciné Rubens doesn't do justice to the hugeness of the screen. The curtains aren't all the way open, that was only when the movie started (and only with certain movies), and when it happened, it was always mind-boggling. When seated from my favorite position (one row in front of the middle row), you had to turn your head to see what was going on on the left or right side of the screen. It will always be my favorite theatre.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

My once favorite movie theatre Ciné Rubens (where I've seen Star Wars, 2001: ASO, Alien, Blade Runner, etc.) not only had the biggest screen in Belgium, it also had a 'serious' inward curve. All the classic movie theatres in my town are gone now and replaced decades ago with impersonal concrete multiplexes.

rubens-2.jpg

The seats and the sound of Cine Rubens weren't great, but I didn't care, the image is what was 'essential' to me.

this is the cinema 150 in Little Rock, it was the greatest theatre we had. It showed its last film X2 in the year of its release. every theatre now is Less. 

cinema 150 screen.jpg

3.jpg

Cinema 150 from Arkansas Democrat 1970.jpg

notice theatre is showing Patton. 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A curved screen makes sense in a huge theatre. When the edges of the image could fall behind ones perrifiral vision. It makes less sense in a living room

such ignorance from you is so unexpected. sounds more like jealousy