Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Don't you use your idiocy on me, or you'll attract more of your idiotic kind, filled with idiotic idiots, idiot!

One theme I wish could return somehow (though I know it won't, seeing its tied to Arwen and Elrond and all that) is the Diminishment of the Elves

That'd be wonderful. Its one of my favourite motifs in LOTR.

But like you said, no chance of it being there. Plus its more suited for the operatic tone of LOTR than the The Hobbit.

The only way it could even somewhat work is for Tauriel going to the Grey Havens if thats what ends up happening, instead of committing the sin of using the Grey Havens/Into the West theme.

Here's what I expect from the third score:

- The Dol Guldur subplot: maybe the return of the Ringwraiths theme (this time, used appropriately!), the Lothlorien, Isengard and Rivendell (please, please!) themes in action mode, possibly a badass rendition of Gandalf's first (that one is almost a certainty) and secondary (that one I'm not sure) themes. If Radagast's theme returns, it will most likely be the film version, and not Shore's original one. Then, as LeBlanc said, there'll possibly be a theme for the White Council as a whole (though, if there is one, it's a shame Shore didn't foreshadow it in AUJ).

I think in TBOTFA we can expect a new, action oriented theme for the ringwraiths that has elements of both "The Nine" and "The Nazgul". Yea, I expect at some point we'll here a pretty straightforward rendition of The Ringwraiths, like it was used in FOTR.

I can't imagine Gandalf's theme won't returned! It was used fairly frequently in AUJ, and while it wasn't used for most of Gandalf's scenes in DOS, he did remember to bring it back in action mode in Dol Guldur. I think we'll hear it again for sure. And yea, I really hope we hear that second half of his theme that was dropped from DOS and only appeared on the AUJ OST once!

Yea, pretty much guaranteed to get action versions of Lothlorien, Isengard (YEA!!), and Rivendell during the Dol Goldur battle.... though I will say I'm a bit tired of the Lothlorien actiony variants between TTT and AUJ.

Agreed, if there was going to be a White Council theme, HS probably would have foreshadowed it in AUJ... unless he did, and we didn't realize! :o

- The Elvish material: more action oriented renditions of both Tauriel and the Woodland Realm, obviously. And... That's all.

No complaints from me if that's the case!

- The Dwarvish material: that could (and should) offer some of the greatests moments of the third score. A big choral rendition of the Company's theme in Khuzdul when Thorin & co join the battle? A heart-wrenching rendition of the House Of Durin theme for K&F's death? And a similar powerful rendition of Thorin's theme after that? Then there's the Dwarven army: will Shore reuse the Dwarf Lords theme in a fashion similar to the Rohan theme for the charge of the Rohirrim? Will he come up with a new one? Will the Dwarrowdelf theme make a reappearance? Oh, and I don't expect Shore's Company theme to return.

Totally agreed - I mean, I know this is supposed to be Bilbo's movie, but this is really the film that all the dwarf stuff we get to shine! I want awesome dwarf action music for Dain and co fighting during the BOTFA, I want Thorin's theme in action mode for him fighting, I want Erebor in action setting for the company fighting, plus I suppose House of Durin and Misty Mountains could find a place, as well as Shore's company theme. Who knows.

- The Men material: I think it's highly likely we'll get the Laketown theme in action mode. Should be interesting. Then of course, Bard's theme will either morph into Girion's theme, or Shore possibly wrote another theme for Hero Bard, that is like an upgraded version of Girion's theme. The Politicians of Laketown theme will probably make some short cameo in the first half of the film.

I do wonder if the men of Lake-town will get their own new theme of some kind, for their battle scenes. I think Bard's theme from DOS could not appear at all, and he'll just be scored by Girion's now, or a new more heroic theme that has elements of both.

- The bad guys material: I don't expect much from Azog's theme, to be honest. All the renditions in the previous films were quite similar. Bolg's theme, on the other hand could be used to great effect! We can also expect the return of the Wargs motif. I do wonder if Shore wrote some sort of motif for the bats, though. Maybe he rather used certains instruments and textures for these.

There won't be more Goblins material, though. :(

I love how HS scored Bolg during the river chase, I wish his fight with Legolas was scored with that theme too! Yea, I hope that theme returns in TBOTFA, and as for Azog's theme I suppose it hasn't changed too much in any of it's appearances, but it works for the character and his music could just get closer to Sauron material as the battle rages. I dunno.

Yea, I have to think the warg theme from AUJ will return, since it was used in DOS as well.

- Bilbo's material: I honestly don't know what to expect. All three of his themes were almost completely absent from DOS, and I don't know how big his role here will be. I think we can say goodbye to the Fussy theme. His main theme should hopefully return and be given interesting renditions and developments (I expect it to be quite different when Bilbo returns home).

Agreed - no clue what to expect. Sadly, I think it might be more PJ's decision than HS's. Who knows. Ideally, I want his Baggins/Took theme to not only return, but receive it's greatest variations as well! I guess the Shire theme will be used at the end of the film too.

- Then, it terms of new themes we could expect: Dain will probably have one (different from the Dwarf Lords theme, I'm sure), maybe a new one for Beorn, a Greed theme probably, a "End of the journey" theme. And then maybe a "Good Guys Alliance" (though I doubt it).

Why are you sure Dain's will be different from teh Dwarf Lords theme he wrote for AUJ? I mean, why else would he have written that theme then? It was only used in one scene in AUJ, and it was when Balin (?) was talking about Dain's people!

Also, why would Beorn get a new theme? They published a sheet music book with his theme in it, the first half of it was used in DOS, no reason to think it would change! I love the mockups of the theme people made from the book, can't wait to hear it in action!

Random thoughts:

- We could possibly expect a return of the Grey Havens material (if some theories turn out to be true).

- I hope Shore won't write a rendition of the Reclamation Of Nature theme similar to the one heard in For Frodo for the Eagles arrival. We already had that twice.Dooing that a third time won't have the same impact.

- I hope not, but I'm afraid there'll probably be some Fellowship theme statement/hint of that theme when Gandalf and Legolas meet.

Please no more Eagles Save The Day music!

I doubt even PJ will have HS use the Fellowship theme, unless there is some cheesy dialog like "maybe we'll team up one day if Sauron returns again!"

OK BB, you may be right about Dain. For Beorn though, I think the second half of the theme, the part that's like Nature's Reclamation, is for his bear form, which could be why it wasn't in DOS much. Who knows.

Still don't know why Shore used Lothlorien instead of Rivendell when Elrond saves the company in AUJ....

I can't imagine Gandalf's theme won't returned! It was used fairly frequently in AUJ, and while it wasn't used for most of Gandalf's scenes in DOS, he did remember to bring it back in action mode in Dol Guldur. I think we'll hear it again for sure. And yea, I really hope we hear that second half of his theme that was dropped from DOS and only appeared on the OST once!

it appears on the DOS OST? in AUJ it was also used in A Good Omen. (I think)

If Bilbo has some moment in TBOTFA where he acts "evil" then I COULD see Seduction of the Ring returning, but I highly doubt it - mostly because PJ didn't even use the theme again after FOTR.

I really hope we hear that second half of his theme that was dropped from DOS and only appeared on the OST once!

It was used in DOS

Where?

Still don't know why Shore used Lothlorien instead of Rivendell when Elrond saves the company in AUJ....

It's one of those instances where Shore went for musicality over contextual appropriateness. The theme just sounds better in action than Rivendell.

Of course Doug will argue that those are members of Galadriel's guard.

I only recently discovered the statement of it in the first track of the ROTK OST, was completely blown away realising that upbeat melody was the seduction of the ring!

LOVE that statement!

By the way, Shore did hint at the end of the documentary about how the third score is the one that will bridge the gap between the two trilogies musically. So make of that what you will!

It's one of those instances where Shore went for musicality over contextual appropriateness. The theme just sounds better in action than Rivendell.

How can you know that when you've never heard an action-oriented statement of that theme?

I'm not saying I agree! I'm saying that was probably the mindset behind it! I actually don't want to hear another action variant of Lothlorien.

And personally, I think I could come up with a cool action variant of Rivendell.

Try and come up with an action version of Rivendell.

It would probably sound something like the statements of Weakness and Redemption in The Lighting of the Beacons.

I am sure Rivendell could be morphed into a great action variant!

I really hope we hear that second half of his theme that was dropped from DOS and only appeared on the OST once!

It was used in DOS

Where?

Some said it appears in The High Fells (the choral material in that track). Doesn't sound like it to me.

The choral line shares the same notes!

It was used in DOS

Where?

Perhaps he thinks you meant it was in DOS and then was dropped? It was certainly not on the album or in the film.

I don't hear it anywhere in DOS, film or album.

By the way, Shore did hint at the end of the documentary about how the third score is the one that will bridge the gap between the two trilogies musically. So make of that what you will!

Ultimately it needs to lead directly into Fellowship; there has to be a shift toward the sound of that score.

Of course it will! It's going to be awesome, I bet!

As I said before, I agree. Was just providing reasoning for what we actually ended up getting. ;)

There are some upbeat renditions of embryonic Rivendell material in Dogma.

It was used in DOS

Where?

Some said it appears in The High Fells (the choral material in that track). Doesn't sound like it to me.

Me neither, though I'm no musical expert.

You probably should have clarified what OST you were referring to then.

Huh?

Indeed! In fact, something as subtle as just having the arpeggios swirling underneath the action works!

hah! Really? I'll have to check that out!

It is. But I was wondering how the film will end. Still a lot to see. I still find it hard to believe that we'll be seeing the ring wraiths in this film...

We already saw one in AUJ!

Yeah, which was stupid to begin with.

But now all nine, clad in robes and armour as they were in FOTR?....oh boy indeed!

I still find it hard to believe that we'll be seeing the ring wraiths in this film...

We are? All I want to know is: does it seem dumb, or justified?

I think the answer to that is pretty clear.

hah! Really? I'll have to check that out!

It's a goofy crossover of Lord of the Rings and Looking for Richard via Ed Wood.