Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

There are some upbeat renditions of embryonic Rivendell material in Dogma.

hah! Really? I'll have to check that out!

It's a goofy crossover of Lord of the Rings and Looking for Richard via Ed Wood.

Heh that is a good way of describing it. Although Mooby the Golden Calf is in a league of its own. ;)

I am sure the Ringwraiths will play some role in the showdown at Dol Guldur.

While I can't imagine not buying this (I bought DoS eventually), I'll hear it on Spotify first.

Hopefully though, there's going to be loads of kick-ass action, and some really good heroic/emotional material.

Nobody cares about Canada!

Yeah, they do! The world is sympathizing for us right now! Or they should be...

Not a good day indeed... :(

You're not living in Ottawa, are you?

Nope. In Toronto (well I'm in Hamilton for the week). But I have friends who go to school there. They were all under lockdown for a while.

I'm pretty impressed with our nation's response though. Not seeing the mass hysteria and paranoia that usually follows an event like this...

Yeah what the heck?!!!

I really hope PJ does not drag trolls into this film just because they are big and cool and can trample and bash people by the bushel. Because those were not in the battle in the novel you know. Might as well call the Wainriders and and other Easterlings plus some other dragons from the Withered Heath to the battle too. That would make it epic-er!

I can picture his surfing on a shield through the battle field from one end to the next, firing arrows, and killing trolls lefts and right, dropping a few great eagles by mistake and finally killing both Bolg and Azog before Thorin has his duel with either.

Speaking of which, who do you think will kill Azog?

Something tells me Beorn will, after Jackson went to the trouble of inventing a backstory between him and Azog.

Something tells me Beorn will, after Jackson went to the trouble of inventing a backstory between him and Azog.

Obvious setup is obvious.

perhaps we'll get the eagle crown after all?

That is the last thing we need on the Lord of the Eagles even though the book says so. That is one fairy story element we really could do without in my opinion. Unless PJ has something very creative in mind for the eagle crown.

Obvious setup is obvious.

I want Beorn to slay Azog after Azog slays Thorin! Legolas can pick off Bolg in a mid-shot like Aragorn off-handedly kills Gothmog in RotK.

Yeah what the heck?!!!

I really hope PJ does not drag trolls into this film just because they are big and cool and can trample and bash people by the bushel. Because those were not in the battle in the novel you know. Might as well call the Wainriders and and other Easterlings plus some other dragons from the Withered Heath to the battle too. That would make it epic-er!

Trolls are confirmed.

Seeing as there are orcs there's, trolls make complete sense...

I am not sure that was a given. You are using the phrase "makes complete sense" a bit too freely when these films are concerned. I think we are missing the Mûmakil though. Darn those flappy eared giants. Where are you when a film needs more epic?!!!

I would assume he is saying that since the Army is sent by Sauron, and not just a bunch of random Goblins it would sort of make sense for Trolls to be within the ranks

No it does not mean that when you have orcs you automatically have to have trolls. It is just cramming more and more stuff into these films. I want Fell Beasts in the battle as well as it does make perfect sense because doh Sauron's armies use those too!

Plus these films never really address the weakness of the creatures of darkness when it comes to sunlight. Orcs are never bothered by it and trolls do not turn to stone (ok 3 of them did in AUJ) but all the other trolls seem to be some kind of Olog-hai descendants who are not affected by sunlight at all. But then again we could not have epic without trolls. No sirreee!

I would assume he is saying that since the Army is sent by Sauron, and not just a bunch of random Goblins it would sort of make sense for Trolls to be within the ranks

No it does not mean that when you have orcs you have to have trolls.

If you want to win, you have different kinds of weapons and soldiers (Cavalry or Infantry, Broadsword or Longsword, light armor or heavy armor, sword only or with a shield etc.) for different uses.

No it does not mean that when you have orcs you have to have trolls.

If you want to win, you send in the big guns.

Yes by this logic the Nazgûl would be there.

Well usually you have different kinds of weapons and soldiers (Cavalry, Infantry, or Pikemen, Broadsword or Longsword, light armor or heavy armor, sword only or with a shield etc.) for different uses.

Oh what's the use KK?!!! Let's just join the optimists. It is a lot easier when you just accept these films as mediocre imitation of Tolkien's story that veer into the direction of outrageous and uncanonical after the first 40 minutes.

Well usually you have different kinds of weapons and soldiers (Cavalry, Infantry, or Pikemen, Broadsword or Longsword, light armor or heavy armor, sword only or with a shield etc.) for different uses.

True. Bring on everything and then some to this battle of bazillion armies!

I don't know how everyone does. I just can't seem to let go of the fact that the same team made something like LOTR and then totally lost their way here...

Maybe we're just too cynical, you and I.

It matters not, even if we're the last ones standing, we shall defend Tolkien canon!!

Just like Morgoth.

Morgoth had Fell Beast, Trolls, Dragons, Balrogs, Spiders, Vampires, Werewolves, Boldogs, and Easterlings (and other things?).

Just like Morgoth, except he had Balrog's and Dragons (and other things?).

OMG! Sauron could summon Morgoth and he would then totally come back and like bring all his armies to this battle as well! Awesome!