Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

I always hoped they'd add the fabled Epilogue for the ROTK: EE and have a final rendition of the theme for that.

What fabled epilogue? Are you talking about Legolas going to Lothlorien and Gimli in the Glittering Caves?

That, and they may have filmed more stuff. I'm pretty sure Faramir and Eowyn's wedding was filmed, that could have been included. Maybe Eomer being crowned? Fuck knows. Apparently the film was originally going to end with Galadriel narrating an epilogue showing what became of the various Fellowship members.

LOL. Yea, I'm sure the "spectacular"ness of the final score has a direct correspondence to whether or not a book gets written.

I'd love for all the deleted footage to be finished and properly scored. They can be shown on home video as bonus features or a bonus new cut of the film. Doesn't mean the existing cuts have to go away.

Well the way PJ and Boyens spoke at SDCC, clearly they are quite open to the idea of adding more footage to the films for the forthcoming super box set. Certainly they didn't rule it out.

Even if the quality of the score stepped up, doesn't mean it'll translate to a noticeable increase in profit. In fact this score, regardless of how good it is, will probably make just as much as the other Hobbit scores, which is a good profit for film scores, but not as much as LOTR, which in all fairness was riding off the immense popularity of the films at the time.

If they determine there is a market for the Hobbit book as there was for LOTR book, then it will be published. But that has little to do with the quality of Shore's final score.

Having listened the album through about 4 times I must say the claim that atleast the album lacks the development of the themes and an absence of some of those you would have expected(Gollum's for instance and the Nazgul choir theme).

Wow, Mr. Incanus, little did we know back then that The End Of All Things is a deconstruction of Gollum's theme, and what kind of Ringwraith variations we would have in the film.

Ohh

https://twitter.com/dougadamsmusic/status/522374102557155330

Doug's in talk about a Music of The Hobbit films book, perhaps because the BOTFA score is so spectacular.

I would think Doug followed Howard Shore on his Hobbit journey because there is something in the pipeline for a while now. Or, it could just be that Doug is Howard's Watson.

You don't seem to realize that the community that can actually discern a difference in the quality between the Hobbit scores is quite marginal. Most of the general audience are just attracted to the pleasant Shire theme statements, fellowship theme fanfares and the end credits songs. That and the Tolkienites who want every piece of merchandise possible.

Just because the final score will be more "spectacular", there won't be a huge increase in profit. It'll be the same fans who bought the past scores, that'll buy this one.

You don't seem to realize that the community that can actually discern a difference in the quality between the Hobbit scores is quite marginal. Most of the general audience are just attracted to the pleasant Shire theme statements, fellowship theme fanfares and the end credits songs. That and the Tolkienites who want every piece of merchandise possible.

Just because the final score will be more "spectacular", there won't be a huge increase in profit. It'll be the same fans who bought the past scores, that'll buy this one.

The question is: are the Hobbit scores making less profit than the LotR OSTs? Because with that logic, there shouldn't be much difference.

The question is: are the Hobbit scores making less profit than the LotR OSTs? Because with that logic, there shouldn't be much difference.

LOTR has far greater popularity in general then the Hobbit so far. Which translates in stronger soundtrack sales.

Well yes, that factors in too. The fact that there is no grand crowd-pleaser "fellowship theme" to tie everything together with frequent appearances. On top of that, these films are less popular than LOTR as well.

That's why these scores are making less than LOTR (though they still make a good amount).

LOTR has far greater popularity in general then the Hobbit so far. Which translates in stronger soundtrack sales.

I don't think you can generalize it like that. A successful movie doesn't automatically mean greater soundtrack sales. Quality of the music plays a factor also, and catchiness. I wouldn't think that the sales of the AUJ soundtrack are that lower than the LotR sales. I would grant a small drop for DoS, but not that much.

And I don't think the Hobbit doesn't have crowd-pleasing themes. Probably less than LotR, but they are there. Plus, the Enya- and Annie Lennox-factors are missing from the Hobbit.

BB, your points are valid, but you have to remember how much more popular the LOTR films were. They weren't just for TORN geeks, they appealed to just about every niche out there. And the main musical themes of LOTR (mainly the shire theme and fellowship theme) deeply resonated with the mainstream then (that's why they're considered classic movie themes today).

The Hobbit films have resonated nearly as much. They're just your average holiday blockbusters. They have a vey loyal fan base, which helps Shore's scores make a lot more than the average score, but they aren't the cultural phenomena that made LOTR top ten bill boarders.

Which is why its pretty safe to say that the Hobbit scores did make a good deal less than the LotR scores (OSTs at least).

I liked the heroic song for the dwarves from An Unexpected Journey when they sing at Bilbo's home or whatever and it is the bestest piece on the album and I squeeee when it comes up. Epic. Shore is a pitiful fool for not using the song again in the sequel. He is like so stoopid!

Ass! fool!

Yeah Shore is that too! Like totally assfool! And he didn't like make the song himself but some guys from New Zealand composited it. OMG the final song is awesome! Ya-ya-ya-ya!

BB knows I was. To hear both would be great. I think the 'B' theme would be perfect to score the return journey of Gandalf, Bilbo and Beorn (if such scenes are included).

I shan't be greedy. One rendition of the main Company theme - when they burst out of Erebor and into battle. With (neo-)Khuzdul chorus. Then I'll be perfectly satisfied.

I'm hoping they'll sing the reprise of the Misty Mountains song (with different lyrics) the night before the battle, thus accounting for the re-integration of the theme thereafter, or at least one time use of it.

I'm kind of sick of that theme to be honest. It was really cool, but isn't very malleable, it's set to a very specific kind of mood/setting, if you understand my meaning. And given the number of themes cut in this franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear this again, nor do I mind.

But, I'd really like to hear some kickass renditions of "Bilbo's Adventure", a la "Erebor".