Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

About 2 1/2 hours ago, Conrad Pope posted

Farewell to Middle Earth and its music- at least for now! Back to LA and more work

While checking into Wellington International Airport on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/conrad.pope/posts/10204132401063223

Lucky so and so. Anyone would think he had a right to hear this magnificence before the rest of us mere mortals...

Is there ANY possibility we might hear a little something during tomorrow's presentation I wonder? Seems very early I'll grant you, but you never know...

Lucky so and so. Anyone would think he had a right to hear this magnificence before the rest of us mere mortals...

Is there ANY possibility we might hear a little something during tomorrow's presentation I wonder? Seems very early I'll grant you, but you never know...

I would settle for some comments from Doug on the score.

Heheee I always love this giddy anticipation of month or three before the soundtrack release. The wait is half the fun although the other half of actually listening to the score is undoubtedly better! :P

I have to say I am very happy with these scores. They are not quite on the LotR level but they are still some of the most engaging epic blockbuster scoring this side of that trilogy. And I believe that Shore will knock the last score off the park!

I have to say I am very happy with these scores. They are not quite on the LotR level

True. But did anyone ever expect otherwise?

The source material just doesnt support the possibility of Shore outdoing LOTR.

As a book, The Hobbit was never was good as LOTR,

That doesnt mean Shore's heart isnt in it, or anything. But he's just not working with material thats as varied and exciting, and has the same depth.

I have to say I am very happy with these scores. They are not quite on the LotR level

That doesnt mean Shore's heart isnt in it, or anything. But he's just not working with material thats as varied and exciting, and has the same depth.

Thank you for elaborating on my behalf. :)

Goldsmith had the ability to turn a turd into gold. Not every composer has that.

Shore is very dependent on his intuitive understanding of the nature of the film he's scoring. He needs something to work with.

With the Hobbit, he has far less of an emotional core then with LOTR.

Name a location! I trust Incanus, that you will by the arbiter!

Of course. Let the incivilities commence!

fotr0837.jpg

Let me, and let this dagger's point prick out his soft eyeball and sup with glee upon its exquisite jelly.

I have not killed him yet, sir, but when I do, I shall have the stomach and the liver, too, and the floppily-doppolies in their horrid glue.

How is it early when the initial sessions are finished, and the movie is out in 2 months?

Bullshit! Lots of films have a source material that is nowhere as good as LOTR, yet their score is great (Goldsmith, anyone?). And actually, I'd disagree with you when you say the The Hobbit book isn't varied or exciting. It has humor, action, adventure, great sequences (the spiders, Smaug attacking Laketown, etc.). It has more than enough good material to make a great score. Just because the fate of the world isn't in the balance doesn't make it a lesser book/story.

Anyway, I can't speak for others, but I was never expecting something like The Crack Of Doom in The Hobbit. Of course not. Actually, I've said many times I would have preferred the music of The Hobbit to be more bucolic, more pastoral than it ended up being. The reason I was disappointed with the Hobbit scores is not because they're not "BIG SPLASH EPIC BOOM-TZZZ" scores like LOTR, just that some of the music isn't really that great, without even comparing it to LOTR. End of story.

This.

But I blame Jacko, not Shore.