Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

There might have been a bit more than there is now. We knew there was a bunch of developed Gondor material coming, judging by the trailer and its prominent appearance in the TTT EE. There were also some early reports of big choral material for the final battle at the Black Gate. That came from either scoring reports or early press screenings, I'm not sure.

RotK was much more anticipated than this movie is, though.

There might have been a bit more than there is now. We knew there was a bunch of developed Gondor material coming, judging by the trailer and its prominent appearance in the TTT EE. There were also some early reports of big choral material for the final battle at the Black Gate. That came from either scoring reports or early press screenings, I'm not sure.

RotK was much more anticipated than this movie is, though.

Doesnt seem like 11 years ago, now does it....

Bitching and whining is not a trait of JWFan; It's a trait of the entire internet. Haven't you figured that out by now?

You have to bear in mind though, some amazing moments were missing from the original album...The full Ride of the Rohirrim, the 'For Frodo' rendition of the Fellowship theme...I suppose I can understand there being some disappointment on first listen. I can't remember what I felt. I think back then I was more one of those 'watch the film' first types. I then remember being extremely upset that the full Ride of the Rohirrim was not present.

And I am still hoping we get a new, appropriate rendition of 'Breaking of the Fellowship' in BOTFA...

It's so bizarre seeing people say things like its lacks thematic development, when it's viewed as such a iconic score and one of the defining thematic scores.

You're realise you're reading first impressions of the 70 minute OST, and it would be years until we had the movies on home video to pay closer attention to the music, video games to hear more clean music, and then finally CRs and Doug's book to really understand all the thematic stuff, right?

I am still hoping we get a new, appropriate rendition of 'Breaking of the Fellowship' in BOTFA...

:blink:

It's the OST that most feels like a highlight collection out of the 3 to me. FOTR still has that journey feel and TTT feel like it covers every important musical idea. ROTK just feels like a highlight collection the whole time.

And I am still hoping we get a new, appropriate rendition of 'Breaking of the Fellowship' in BOTFA...

Oh God no!

Back in the day I was kind of hoping for a final, heartbreaking rendition for the Grey Havens. It would have made sense thematically there.

But not in The Hobbit. Even the short snippet of Breaking in AUJ felt wrong!

LOTR had plenty of detractors at it's time. Really only with The Hobbit has it suddenly taken on a status of impeachable classics.

It gained that status before then, just because the spectacle and cultural phenomenon it became in 2003, eclipsed its flaws. That's where there was so much hype for AUJ. But after people realised what the new trilogy would turn out to be, The Hobbit is just another fantasy franchise in the mix, not nearly gaining the cultural status of its predecessors.

Oh God no!

Back in the day I was kind of hoping for a final, heartbreaking rendition for the Grey Havens. It would have made sense thematically there.

But not in The Hobbit. Even the short snippet of Breaking in AUJ felt wrong!

It felt wrong because it wasn't at all right for the scene, and it was horribly tracked (or at least sounded as such). It could work if done right. I never saw anything intrinsically Fellowship about it, or strictly LOTR. I don't see why it couldn't work if the context called for it (perhaps Bilbo after the battle). I doubt Howard will use it anyway.

I always hoped they'd add the fabled Epilogue for the ROTK: EE and have a final rendition of the theme for that.

Barnald, that music is so closely associated with that scene and those characters that it would indeed feel very wrong to hear that in The Hobbit. It'll feel like an emotionally manipulative rehash of a classic moment.

Meh. Who cares what other people think? Keep loving what you love. If people can't see what there is to enjoy in it, then it's their loss. Don't let that bother you.

- KK's cheesy 2 cents of the day. ;)