Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Well now would be as good a time as any to put the writing of The Music of the Hobbit Films on full throttle when essentially most of the score has been written!

I am sure Doug has not been idle on this department in the intervening years but now he can fully focus on the book.

Well now would be as good a time as any to put the writing of The Music of the Hobbit Films on full throttle when all of the score has been written!

Fixed.

I did think of a production diary or extras, but in the case of the former Doug would surely have done that already.

I believe that the music documentary in the DOS EE will be the only one we'll get. For BOFA, we know there aren't that many new themes, so what is there left to talk about?

AUJ! ;)

Well now would be as good a time as any to put the writing of The Music of the Hobbit Films on full throttle when all of the score has been written!

Fixed.

Has it? Do we know for certain there won't be more for EE? Or do you simply mean that they recorded also all the EE stuff at the recording sessions this autumn?

Fixed.

Do you simply mean that they recorded also all the EE stuff at the recording sessions this autumn?

Yeah.

Fixed.

Do you simply mean that they recorded also all the EE stuff at the recording sessions this autumn?

Yeah.

I am clinging to the hope there will be more music recorded. For me there is always a fool's hope.

Unless he writes a symphony based on the books, which he should, but he won't...

Apparently he has considered/been considering writing Middle-earth music not meant for the films.

I did think of a production diary or extras, but in the case of the former Doug would surely have done that already.

I believe that the music documentary in the DOS EE will be the only one we'll get. They included it because they had a lot of themes to present, talk about the fact that they moved from London to NZ to record the music, Conrad Pope, etc. For BOFA, we know there aren't that many new themes, and they can't talk yetagain about moving the recording sessions to NZ, so what is there left to talk about? At best, we might get a short 15 minutes documentary, but I think even that is unlikely.

The latter, well - it seems too early surely?

Are you talking about the book or the CRs? While I still believe that the first CR being released in December 2015 sounds to good to be true, I'm starting to think it might happen (since more and more stuff seems to be pointing towards such a thing happening). Regarding the book, I think they'd probably release that after all the CRs (or with the third one, as was originally planned with LOTR, if I remember correctly), so if we assume they'll start releasing CRs from December 2015 onwards, then the book won't be released until December 2017. That's 3 years from now. It does seem a bit early to me to start working on it, but as Inky said, now that most (all?) of the music has been recorded/written, it's still possible.

I meant too early for the EE extras (in the first instance I was talking about the vlogs), not the book or CR's. I've always advocated 2015 for the first CR. The book will probably be a lot further down the line, maybe 2017-2018 to tie in with the last CR. We're getting ahead of ourselves of course but that seems about right.

So Neil Finn wrote a song called 'There and Back Again' which was apparently rejected/passed over by PJ. Wow. I don't know if this means Finn was asked to write one and they passed on it (I hope not, and I doubt it, given that some of 'The Last Goodbye' was recorded at Finn's studio), or he wrote one of his own volition. Apparently he performed it at some show the other day. Being a big fan I'd love to hear it. I don't know if it was ever properly recorded though.

So Neil Finn wrote a song called 'There and Back Again' which was apparently rejected/passed over by PJ. Wow. I don't know if this means Finn was asked to write one and they passed on it (I hope not, and I doubt it, given that some of 'The Last Goodbye' was recorded at Finn's studio), or he wrote one of his own volition. Apparently he performed it at some show the other day. Being a big fan I'd love to hear it. I don't know if it was ever properly recorded though.

Source?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/25589926/musical-trio-mesmerise/

Among the classics were some special moments like his new song There and Back Again, written for the final Hobbit movie but failing to make the final cut in Peter Jackson's film, according to Finn.

Would love to get some clarification from Doug about this. Might even be one for the CR's/Rarities pile if it was recorded.

Well in all fairness, all the yayaya-ing was Neil Finn's own "original" contributions. If that's his idea of Middle-Earth music, I don't think we need any more of that.

And Sheeran's song may be a completely wrong fit for the films, but at least it's tolerable on the ears.

You like Ed Sheeran's, so your opinion on this matter is irrelevant.

This is a point which can not be stressed enough. I hate the way he mangles the name "Durin" ("Jurin" as he sings), the line "Oh misty eye of the mountain below" (Like seriously, what?), the fact he actually whines the word "wine", and the "oh you know I saw a city burn" bit is cringetastic.

You like Ed Sheeran's, so your opinion on this matter is irrelevant.

This is a point which can not be stressed enough. I hate the way he mangles the name "Durin" ("Jurin" as he sings).

More like Dchurin

Booowoooowooo...whiney whiney cry cry cry!

Very insightful point!