Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

As Doug already answered in Twitter to someone on these issues in AUJ. Facilitating the scoring process by changing his original intentions to what the director wanted. Not uncommon at all.

Use of the Nazgûl theme=tying Azog very obviously to Sauron, making the scene be about the bad guy and not about the hero as in the original intention, the chant sounding epic.

Gondor Reborn=Pure emotional gut reaction of the swelling theme, no thematic relation, evoking of nostalgia and fuzzy warm feelings.

The Eagle Rescue's Nature's Reclamation=Completing the phrase hinted at in Out of the Frying-Pan, giving the audience a familiar musical jolt, temp-tracking the moment with Isengard Unleashed/Theoden Rides Forth.

besides with AUJ some of the alternates might not even be alternates but just stuff that was added for the movie's longer runtime (Like Bilbo rescuing Thorin)

there would be no reason to not give us those tracks

so I am not sure what you count as 45 minutes

besides, basically we got a lot of Shore's original intention already.

Actually, does any of the DOS EE cues feature alternate music for one of the TC cues?

Mirkwood and The World Of Men. Luckily, we already got their TC versions in full on the OST.

That would not leave enough room for the synth mock ups, and the interviews

Especially the interviews!

Wrong! In the case of AUJ the Eagles music was one of the best and the one cue who's omission from the OST was lamented. You cannot omit it on the CR also.

As inappropriate as the Nazgul cue is. It is a bitchin' arrangement and I want it!

Calm down guys! For Christmas' sake!

Speaking of which I am going on a little holiday tomorrow. A short one and I think I shall return. In fact I mean to.

I honestly never understood why people are crazy about this cue. This is the most generic Middle-Earth music ever got!

I mean, I can understand in Stiff's case (the guy loved Zimmer's Interstellar, for fuck's sake!), but others like KK and Inky... What happened to you, guys? Oh, wait... KK liked Interstellar too... So what happened to you, Inky?

I never said I liked the Azog VS Thorin re-score BBoal. However I love the album version with the dwarven chant and wish that it had been in the film. It is badass! I only like the new Nature's Reclamation statement in AUJ for the eagles rescue scene although think the cue is a tad too similar to the Theoden Rides Forth in its contours.

I honestly never understood why people are crazy about this cue. This is the most generic Middle-Earth music ever got!

I mean, I can understand in Stiff's case (the guy loved Zimmer's Interstellar, for fuck's sake!), but others like KK and Inky... What happened to you, guys? Oh, wait... KK liked Interstellar too... So what happened to you, Inky?

Nothing wrong with liking Interstellar

It's the only one of the re-used themes in the final act that is actually thematically appropriate

Yes that's also true! And as I have said before the statement prior to it in the scene begs for a resolution of the Nature's Reclamation in a grand statement for the eagles.

I never said I liked it either. I just like the choral lament (even though that in itself is kind of ripped from the pages of TTT).

I can't find myself to like the Nature's Reclamation statement very much either. I mean it's good, but it's clear that all of it was just part of minor alterations to "Theoden Rides Forth". I'll never forgive Shore for it!

I never said I liked it either. I just like the choral lament (even though that in itself is kind of ripped from the pages of TTT).

I can't find myself to like the Nature's Reclamation statement very much either. I mean it's good, but it's clear that all of that was just alterations to "Theoden Rides Forth". I'll never forgive Shore for it!

It was probably written 3 am after a day of recording and the sessions were drawing to a close and he had to do something quickly.

Yeah, poor fellow. :(

I'll never forgive Shore for it!

You are joking, I trust?

Yes, yes. You've robbed my hyperbole of its dramatic effect though. Thanks a lot!

I actually agree now that the Hobbit complete recordings should use Shore's intentions. This way we'll get a six set of complete middle earth scores which make thematic sense. The film alternates could come in a bonus disc for the CRs, or with the book.

Let's just hope the CRs become a reality in the future! :)

What does that have to do with anything?

It's not like any music for scenes taking place after the Carrock where ever recorded.

Ok, so that doesn't mean there will be more of Dain's theme in the EE, Doug just could have meant Battle for the MOuntain, which is in the film.

Just tried remixing a bit from the BOFA OST, just out of curiosity. Frankly, I had no idea what I was really doing (I know nothing when it comes to mixing), I was just toying randomly with my audio editor (using the Band Extrapolation tool) to see if I could make some bits I don't like sound a bit better. I used the Girion's theme statement around 03'00 in Fire And Water, because that's one of those bits where I found the brass to sound absolutely horrible. Here's the result:

Fire And Water - Untouched:

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/nj0ui2ker5/F_and_WUNTOUCHED.mp3

Fire And Water - Remixed:

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/zes98lsdlq/F_and_WREMIXED.mp3

The funny thing I noticed is that the settings I used put the percussion playing under Bard's theme (in the second half of the sample) much more in the forefront. I didn't even know there were percussions here when listening to the OST!

Thoughts?

Boal, while I have you here with a prime example: I've been trying to figure out how you do this sort of embedding for like a year. Mind giving a tutorial? Is it un-rippable, unlike Youtube or Soundcould?

Boal, while I have you here with a prime example: I've been trying to figure out how you do this sort of embedding for like a year. Mind giving a tutorial? Is it un-rippable, unlike Youtube or Soundcould?

LOL.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21160