Alan Menken - The Little Mermaid (Disney Legacy Collection November 24 2014)

Jay

From the official site:

Mermaid-Legacy-Digi1-520x520.jpg

Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection: The Little Mermaid takes you on a musical voyage you will never forget. This beautiful book-bound two disc collectible set features the award winning music from the film, never before released demos and working tapes from Howard Ashman and Alan Menken and more. Exclusively illustrated by the talented Lorelay Bove, WDR The Legacy Collection is a musical masterpiece every fan will enjoy.

Track List
Disc One

1. Fathoms Below Performed by Ship’s Chorus
2. Main Titles Score
3. Fanfare Score
4. Daughters of Triton Performed by Daughters of Triton
5. Intro Ariel Score
6. Intro Ursula Score
7. Triton Reprimands Score
8. Sebastian’s Dilemma Score
9. Part of Your World Performed by Jodi Benson
10. Fireworks Score
11. The Storm Score
12. Part of Your World (Reprise) / Ursula Plots Performed by Jodi Benson
13. Ariel in Love Score
14. Under the Sea Performed by Samuel E. Wright
15. Sebastian and Triton Score
16. Destroying the Grotto Score
17. Flotsam and Jetsam Score
18. Ursula’s Lair Score
19. Poor Unfortunate Souls Performed by Pat Carroll
20. She’s Got Legs Score
21. Sebastian Relents Score
22. On Land Score
23. Miss Manners Score
24. Les Poissons Performed by René Auberjonois
25. Crab On a Plate / Bedtime Score
26. Tour of the Kingdom Score
27. Kiss the Girl Performed by Samuel E. Wright
28. Ariel Left Behind Score
29. Poor Unfortunate Souls (Reprise) Performed by Pat Carroll
30. The Truth Score
31. Interrupting the Wedding / Ursula’s Defeat Score
32. Happy Ending Performed by the Disney Chorus

Disc Two
1. Fathoms Below Work Tape Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
2. Daughters of Triton Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
3. Part of Your World Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
4. Fireworks / The Gigue Score Piano Demo Performed by Alan Menken
5. The Storm Score Piano Demo Performed by Alan Menken
6. Under the Sea Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
7. Poor Unfortunate Souls Basic Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
8. Poor Unfortunate Souls Final Synth Mockup Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
9. Les Poissons Work Tape Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
10. Les Poissons Synth Demo Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
11. Kiss the Girl Synth Demo B Performed by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
12. Happy Ending Score Piano Demo Performed by Alan Menken

http://www.disneymusicemporium.com/rgshop/the-little-mermaid/

Pre-order link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O5HX3BM/jwfancom-20

Mr. Neil S. Bulk just announced on his Facebook that he worked on this release, and so did Bruce Botnick.

You can see his posts, and pictures of the transferring process, if you are friends with him there.

I can pretty much tell that this set includes previously unreleased music (from Alan Menken's score anyway)... Cool! Why did they not do this with Sleeping Beauty? Anyway, I'll probably get this set, as I thought Alan Menken's score was good.

I don't know why, but they are expanding the modern scores and doing little to the legacy scores. It's weird.

I finally imported my Sleeping Beauty last night and in the notes it actually says that they had access to the entire scoring and song sessions for the release. Don't know why they didn't put everything on there.

Are you serious? WHAT THE HECK, MAN?!?! That makes no sense! If they had access, why did they not incorporate

EVERYTHING into that release?

Maybe Disney thinks people are only interested in the expansion of the 90s films' scores? We'll have to see what 2015 brings for the older scores... I'm glad "The Little Mermaid" and "The Lion King" have finally gotten proper expansions. I'm assuming "The Little Mermaid" was remastered as well...

It was, Neil and Bruce did a brand new transfer from the original tapes. Neil posted pictures of the transfer process on his Facebook.

Great! This score was in a desperate need of a remastering. I'm curious how the mix will turn out.. if it'll be like the mix as heard in the film, like the original album, or something different?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this is 100% complete.

Well, maybe not quite. The End Credits feature a repeat of the Main Titles, but with a big flourish added onto the end. Based on the track list, it doesn't look like this is included, unless maybe it's on the actual Main Titles.

Here's a clip.

Neil: "Look at this set, isn't it neat, wouldn't you think this edition's complete, wouldn't you think it's the set, the set that has... everything?"

Very unlikely...

I'm kidding.

Looks like this is 100% complete.

Well, maybe not quite. The End Credits feature a repeat of the Main Titles, but with a big flourish added onto the end. Based on the track list, it doesn't look like this is included, unless maybe it's on the actual Main Titles.

Here's a clip.

Maybe that was recorded separately. Then again, it makes no difference.

Neil worked on this, I trust it's all there!

His name sounds familiar... Refresh my memory. Did he work on any expanded releases of the Maestro's works?

1941, Black Sunday, The Fury (LLL and Twilight Time), Jane Eyre (LLL), Nightwatch, Not With My Wife You Don't Vol 2, The Poseidon Adventure (LLL), and Rosewood

1941, Black Sunday, The Fury (LLL and Twilight Time), Jane Eyre (LLL), Nightwatch, Not With My Wife You Don't Vol 2, The Poseidon Adventure (LLL), and Rosewood

Well, that confirms it. Alan Menken's music has been greatly remastered. This would be the first time I hear the music outside of seeing the film. I know there have been previous releases of the songs and selections of the score. Now, how bad was the music to this film in need of being remastered?

Now, how bad was the music to this film in need of being remastered?

It has been said that the score sounds really dry.

What do you mean? No dynamics in the sound, lack of quality in the sound range, etc.?

• 3 weeks later...

The music has definitely been remastered and slightly remixed based on the samples. It's also definitely complete based on the track times. The songs and score have never sounded better. They even included the flute source music. I was a little concerned after the lackluster "Sleeping Beauty" and "Mary Poppins" releases. I think I may enjoy this release more than The Lion King.

Mr. Neil S. Bulk just announced on his Facebook that he worked on this release, and so did Bruce Botnick.

You can see his posts, and pictures of the transferring process, if you are friends with him there.

I hope this line extends into 2016 and beyond. I'd like to see the other Menken scores and Mulan get the same treatment. It will be interesting to see how the classic scores are treated in the future, but I expect they'll get the shaft. I'd like to see a complete version of Snow White, without sound effects here and there.