MR or AI? Choose the best film

scissorhands

Which one is the best film?  

47 members have voted

1. 1.

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Minority Report

Minority Report or A.I. Artificial Intelligence?

Which one of these two Spielberg sci-fi movies do you think is better?

A.I. was mine........till I watched MR again this week, when I noticed a detail I did't realize in the theater.

And I can't decide now.

I am refering to films, but you can mention John Williams' score if you want to.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's OK, but I hope you have voted for the best FILM, haven't you? (it's a poll for the best film, because if I made it for the best score, everyone knows A.I. would be the winner)

:)

This is easy. Minority Report is one of my favourite Spielberg films and A.I. Artificial Intelligence is certainly my least.

CYPHER

Minority Report and AI are my two favorite Spielberg/Williams collaborations post-Schindler's List. But Minority Report had an more immediate effect on me than AI.

M.R. is the better film, obviously.

Currently the poll suggest the same thing, but neither would fall in Steven's top 5 films, one would fall in Steven's bottom one though. :spiny:

Let's see here:

A.I. -- It's a rather long film, almost too long. However, I love the story in this film. Again however, the film is long and I think it's almost forced at times, but I still think it's a great film.

Minority Report -- I think this film would be chosen by average movie-goers as the better of the two simply because it is able to keep people's attention better than A.I. My thoughts on this movie: there were and still are some things in the movie I don't understand, but this movie was, to me, far more exciting and it drew me in more than A.I. did. I thought the twist at the end was great, and the acting was superb.

My vote goes for Minority Report.

~Harry

A.I. -- It's a rather long film, almost too long.  However, I love the story in this film.  Again however, the film is long and I think it's almost forced at times, but I still think it's a great film.

I have to say that few endings strike me as forced as Minority Report's. I don't agree with those who knock it for its incongruity with the rest of the film, or it so-called "unfaithfulness" to Dick, but I thought the film resolved itself too quickly and too easily. I don't mind the optimism if it's provided enough basis.

I love both of them, they're both amazing flicks.

AI is a very bittersweet movie with an amazing performance by Haley Joel Osment and a beautiful, haunting score by Williams with outstanding special effects and a great supporting role by Jude Law. The plot was basically Pinocchio but at least it didn't pretend to be otherwise.

MR is an awesome science fiction film, one of the best I've seen, with an incredibly performance by Tom Cruise, who usually does nothing for me. Once again, the special effects are outstanding. The score is good for the movie but I doubt I'd want to listen to it outside fo the movie. The plot is great and very suspenseful and exciting.

Scorewise, I go for AI. More memorable.

Filmwise, I go for MR. A more entertaining movie, even though they're both REAAAAAAAAAAALLY different flicks.

For me, MR was the best flick of 2002, and kookily enough, AI was the best of 2001.

I am consistently intrigued to observe how Steven Spielberg is progressing through his career. He has such phenomenal ability. To have witnessed his path from making a popcorn flick like Jaws, to one of the greatest historical recreations with Schindler's List, to the definitive war film with Saving Private Ryan, then on to even greater heights with subtilty esoteric films such as A.I. and Minority Report, has been fascinating and very gratifying as a fan.

As Spielberg has matured and grown in his life, and aspirations, it certainly seems that a large portion of his previous audience got left behind in the process. It's inevitable really, just like some people will resent the film Hook because it portrays a Peter Pan who addresses his adulthood and responsibilities, rather than the juvenile Peter Pan they want to remain forever. At the same time though, Steven helps new directors come to the forefront to make films to appease the juveniles, eg Chris Columbus.

Stanley Kubrick held Spielberg in very high regard. With A.I. he made a very powerful film, a true work of art, and a more than fitting tribute and homage to Kubrick's original vision, while at the same time it's very much a Spielberg film, a very personal one. For this I have come to highly respect Spielberg as a man of great conviction and honor.

I don't anticipate ever being dissapointed with the direction that he takes in his choice of film, and look forward to the masterpeices he is sure to make in the coming years, I fully expect he will make a film that tops A.I. Until then, it will remain my favorite Spielberg film.

Minority Report I also find to be a profound piece of storytelling, with some incredibly innovative and masterful action set pieces to boot. The action is never gratuitous, always stylish and propelling the story along in the most compelling way. It's a film I can watch repeatedly and can only be in awe of the level of film-making skill it demonstrates. The balance of black humor and gloomy futuristic projection is so finely wrought, it expertly captures the paranoiac inner worlds that Philip K. Dick conjured up in his novels.

No matter what some others think,I think A.I. is a masterpiece,so I voted for that.MR is a very good film,but since I don't like the score a lot it affects my perception of the movie as a whole of course.

K.M.

No matter what some others think,I think A.I. is a masterpiece,so I voted for that.

Well, I'd say it's the 'perfect' movie for those who mainly (or only) watch American blockbusters and are looking for a 'serious' film that they can call a 'masterpiece'. Not my case, fortunately.

Well, I'd say it's the 'perfect' movie for those who mainly (or only) watch American blockbusters and are looking for a 'serious' film that they can call a 'masterpiece'. Not my case, fortunately.

I hardly only or mainly watch American Blockbuster films, and i'm actually prone to like off-the-main-road films (Arofonsky's Requiem for a Dream and Lynch's Mulholland Drive are 2 of my favorite films) - however, I still consider A.I. to be a masterpiece.

But that's my opinion.

And remember - just as liking the prequels better than the OT, or vice-versa, or even liking both - it's all a matter of opinion. It's subjective. :spiny:

My humble opinion is that Minority Report is one of Spielberg's best movies thus far. The film is the perfect marriage of Hitchcock and Kubrick (e.g. the opening shot), without losing the Spielberg touch.

Ironically, unlike Spielberg's (perhaps necessarily) compromised take on Keneally's superlative novel, both Minority Report and A.I. were marked improvements over their source material (neither Dick or Aldiss was at his best), as I see it. And yet look what gets all the acclaim...

I hardly only or mainly watch American Blockbuster films, and i'm actually prone to like off-the-main-road films (Arofonsky's Requiem for a Dream and Lynch's  Mulholland Drive are 2 of my favorite films) - however, I still consider A.I. to be a masterpiece.

Do you ever watch non-American movies?

Ricard - Who thinks that Requiem and Mulholland are OK, but far from being masterpieces.

Ricard II - Who thinks that people use the term 'masterpiece' too easily, especially when there are thousands of essential movies that they still haven't seen.

Ricard III - Who thinks that A.I. is (by far) the worst Spielberg film.

Ricard IV - Who doesn't even consider the so-called SW prequels to be real films.

Ricard V - Who at least agrees with Bewoulf that Temple of Doom is the best Indy film.

No matter what some others think,I think A.I. is a masterpiece,so I voted for that.

That is one of the arrogant presumptions I have read!

Ricard V - Who at least agrees with Bewoulf that Temple of Doom is the best Indy film.

Probably right, LC is just as much fun though.

AI covers many issues and has a moving story. Compared to MR which has a more typical plot it does have those advantages. But MR is a wonderful return to the old detective film style but with a new twist, this question is difficult in that they are hard films to compare but I might go with AI.

No matter what some others think' date='I think A.I. is a masterpiece' date='so I voted for that.[/quote'']

That is one of the arrogant presumptions I have read!

Why?

AI covers many issues and has a moving story.

It tries, but it fails miserably in both purposes. Too bad.

Why?

'Not right, not wrong. Just opinions'

Listen to your own words, and don't state your opinions as absolute fact.

Why?

That's NOT what I did. And this is my last post on this board. 'Thank you', Morn.

MR be default.  

A.I. was one of the worst movies of Spielberg's career.

Indeed. As one critic put it, it was nearly as bad as Schindler's List.

And many others also said it was a failure.

It made numerous top ten best lists

and it made as many top 10 worst lists.

I personally think it is a terrible film, and yet it had all the tools to succeed which in my book makes it even more of a failure.

1. Spielberg's direction lacks focus, for one of the few times in his career he doesn't seem sure of himself.

2. Script/storytelling, both fail, instead of the traditional 3 part act we get a four, five, or six part depending on how one divides the film. The film tosses out red herrings, like its preparing a buffet, oh the movies over, opps no its still going on, oh wait now its done, oh wrong again.

3. Acting is all over the board. Spielberg is usually sure in getting a top notch performance out of child actors but gets a very average performance out of a very gifted HJO. Spielberg has gotten better performances out of lesser actors, namely Henry Thomas(E.T.), Drew Barrymore(E.T.), Christian Bale(EOS), Cary Guffey(CE3K), Ke Huy Quan(TOD), Joseph Mazzello(JP), Ariana Richards(JP), Charlie Korsmo(HOOK, yes Joe is complementing HOOK), Tanya Fenmore & Laura Mooney(Twilight Zone, the Movie), Oliver Robbins & Heather O'Rourke(if anyone chooses to believe Spielberg directed this film, I don't). Only Jude Law gave a stellar performance, and Francis O'Conner gave perhaps the worst performance in a Spielberg film ever rivaled only by Robin Williams' turn as Pan.

4. Both film and Spielberg invariably suffer throught the Spielberg/Kubrick comparisons, some fair some unfair. There really are people out there who think Kubrick is a much better director, and while he is a very gifted director, he gets the nod of some by being a serious director, which in my book means he's never directed a crowd pleaser, while Spielberg, who has directed more crowd pleasers in the modern era than any other director, suffers because his films by and large have been crowd pleasers and are thus regarded as not serious films.

A.I. is not the worst film ever made, not by a longshot. Its just the worst of Steven's career. Scorcese made a worse film in Cape Fear, Kubrick made a worse film in Eyes Wide Shut, ( I think Shining too, but thats another discussion). One thing A.I. has succeeded well at, is garnering discussion of its merit. It is more like a pendelum with no middle, it swings only at both ends, people either love it, or hate it, with few in the middle.

Minority Report on the otherhand is the stepchild of Steven's career, brilliant in its own right, but virtually ignored. Even this MB has had little discussion over the merits of both film and score. Its been said 20 years from now A.I. will be remembered as a great triumph, that people will reexamine the film and realize their intial foley. Personally I don't think that will ever happen, 20 years ago Blade Runner fans said the same thing, and now 20 years later the only fans of Blade Runner are those same fans plus a few new people. I think 20 years from now its more likely that Minority Report will be that kind of film, sort of a 21st Century Shawshank Redemption.

As always this is my personal opinion, I don't expect anyone has to agree or disagree with it.

And by the way I have watched the film 4 times, meaning I have given the film 4 chances to change my opinion. So when Chris, or A.I. or anyone else wants to disagree with me or take me to task, understand this, I have stepped up to the plate on this film, and given it more than a far shake. Its a Spielberg film and I figured it is worth examining if nothing more than it IS a Spielberg film.

1. Spielberg's direction lacks focus, for one of the few times in his career he doesn't seem sure of himself.

Be more specific, in what ways does it lack focus.

2. Script/storytelling, both fail, instead of the traditional 3 part act we get a four, five, or six part depending on how one divides the film. The film tosses out red herrings, like its preparing a buffet, oh the movies over, opps no its still going on, oh wait now its done, oh wrong again.

So what? That's practically saying ohh it's ununsual so it's awful. :roll:

3. Acting is all over the board.

I think all the acting was satisfactory.

4. Both film and Spielberg invariably suffer throught the Spielberg/Kubrick comparisons, some fair some unfair. There really are people out there who think Kubrick is a much better director, and while he is a very gifted director, he gets the nod of some by being a serious director, which in my book means he's never directed a crowd pleaser, while Spielberg, who has directed more crowd pleasers in the modern era than any other director, suffers because his films by and large have been crowd pleasers and are thus regarded as not serious films.

What about Spartacus?

Scorcese made a worse film in Cape Fear

Granted that film is far from the original but I'm not sure I'd call it a bad film.

Kubrick made a worse film in Eyes Wide Shut, ( I think Shining too, but thats another discussion).

Even his worse is very good though. :( That film is great first viewing though it's not rewatchable.

Personally I don't think that will ever happen, 20 years ago Blade Runner fans said the same thing, and now 20 years later the only fans of Blade Runner are those same fans plus a few new people.

What are you talking about? Blade Runner is considered a sci fi classic and is quite popular today.

MR is a better movie, so I voted for that, but I have to say I incline to watch A.I. more often than Minority Report. I first went to see A.I. for John Williams' music and for Haley Joel Osment's acting foremost. Back in 1999 Haley more than helped turn the Sixth Sense into what Shyamalan's pick for Dr. Crowe's character to be portrayed by Bruce Willis would have alone sunk it, that is a great modern-era thriller with noteworthy acting. So that's in fact Osment whose acting warrants my repeat watching as is John Williams' score no less engaging.

In other words, John Williams' score to A.I. is, task-wise, a huge failure. It's so great that one can wonder what inspired John to write such a score. Like last time with Seven Years in Tibet, where the score surpasses the movie severalfoldly.

Why?

That's NOT what I did. And this is my last post on this board. 'Thank you', Morn.

Wait a minute...I can understand your abandoning this thread over this matter, but the board? :(

Why?

Wait a minute...I can understand your abandoning this thread over this matter, but the board? :(

yes I agree, not over Morn,

I mean Morn is relentless in his post, but look how pathetically he answered my post, don't give him that much power Ricard.

Anyone who wants to know what made A.I. such a bad film .....

I have one thing to say .....

THE LAST 20 minutes!!!!!!

Nuff said! :mrgreen:

To call it the worst ending ever would be an understatement.

I'm curious if folks here who hate the ending to AI blame Spielberg for it, and I'm also curious if those same folks KNOW that Kubrick himself actually came up with that ending and Spielberg was just staying true to Stan's vision?

I don't really understand why people hate the ending so much. I believe that people wanted the end to be David staring at the Blue Fairy in the ocean and hate that he actually got what he wanted, albeit in a far out kind of way. I don't really get this. What's wrong with a nice ending?

Why?

You're going to make Morn feel more powerful than he really is. Please don't leave this board because of one immature child who always has to have the last word.

Neil

There's nothing quite like the drama that is usually sparked over AI. I think this film has caused more controversy on this Board than the Star Wars prequels, which is really saying something. And once again, the subjective/objective argument has reared its ugly head. I'm not gonna make any presumptions or anything but there are some extremely self-riteous posts in this thread, as there most often is when people are asked to voice their opinion about in issue that has clearly divided people. We just need to stop trying to convince others that we're right and simply state our opinion and our reasons for it. It is possible to have intelligent discussion without building tension that would lead to worse things.

Personally, I didn't vote. I have never been an advocate of comparing for the sake of "which one is better." I feel that it's pretty much impossible to do. Yes, there are similarities between the two films, such as the genre and a handful of other things. But for the most part they are entirely different and should be viewed in their own right. AI is the kind of film that some people responded to and others didn't. It has nothing to do with how many films someone has seen or from what country the films were made. I have observed that there are probably more people on this Board who didn't like it as opposed to the ones that did, or maybe they are just more vocal about it, I don't know.

I think AI is an outstanding film, however, I thought Minority Report was absolutely incredible as well. When I saw AI for the first time, there were so many ideas running through my head and the fact that it is designed to in a way jerk you around didn't really help for the first viewing or two. I wasn't sure if I actually liked it at first, but it sure was effective. I had seen nothing like it, and it worked my mind and emotions in such a unique way that few films can do. But the more I have seen it, the more I have responded to the aspects that I found puzzling the first few times and have been able to see it for what I think it is really about. And yes, I even liked the ending. I just thought Spielberg was in very rare form with the film and it is his most unique film to date.

Minority Report is another balancing act in my opinion. It's a throwback to the atmospheric film noirs from fifty years ago, and its also a philosophical treatise in a way -- all set in a fantastically rendered, dark portrait of the world fifty years from now. Spielberg brilliantly mended two different worlds with this film and maintained the core of the story with strong characters and a very strong story. And the fact that there is so much going on in this film is testimony to the director's outstanding storytelling ability.

So there's my take. And I agree with AI (the member on this Board, not the film) that Spielberg is putting together one heck of a career. In my opinion, he is true filmmaker.

Ted

Why?

You're going to make Morn feel more powerful than he really is. Please don't leave this board because of one immature child who always has to have the last word.

Neil

Ohh please. LOL If anything it makes me sad.

You people have no right to flame Morn like that. He responded to posts he disagreed with on a point by point basis. Ricard childishly flees like a kid reprimanded at dinner, and you all side with him.

You people have no right to flame Morn like that. He responded to posts he disagreed with on a point by point basis. Ricard childishly flees like a kid reprimanded at dinner, and you all side with him.

Ricard's decision to leave the board is far from childish. I'm certain he'll clear this up for everyone soon.

Both films dealt with moral issues brought about by technological change. However, I feel that A.I. stirred my thoughts and emotions to a greater degree, in the timeless style Spielberg excels at.

Many people like to condemn the extra, over-the-top ending of A.I. I think it's great. Minority Report had a tremendous buildup and then fizzled at the end, a case of "less is not enough" for Spielberg. And maybe it's an unfair comparison, but I think Haley Joel Osment was far more compelling than Tom Cruise. As far as the scores go, I hear more of the old Williams soul in A.I. than in MR.

I personally think it is a terrible film, and yet it had all the tools to succeed which in my book makes it even more of a failure.

Let me ask you this, if you had the opportunity to meet Spielberg would you be willing to say to him, I think your film A.I. was a huge failure? How do you think he would react? Would he be inclined to say, yes well I spent years secretly working on the film with Kubrick, and got some of the best people in the film industry working on it, but in hindsight it was all a waste of time, I didn't see the error of my ways..Even though I managed to direct a classic film like Schindler's List, when I was making A.I. all my accumulated skills and judgment temporarily went out the window, and I just made a 140 minute bad, bad movie. Does this scenario sound at all likely? Or do you think he might be inclined to try to understand, time willing, why you disliked/misinterpreted the film?

3. Acting is all over the board.  Spielberg is usually sure in getting a top notch performance out of child actors but gets a very average performance out of a very gifted HJO.  Spielberg has gotten better performances out of lesser actors, namely Henry Thomas(E.T.), Drew Barrymore(E.T.), Christian Bale(EOS), Cary Guffey(CE3K), Ke Huy Quan(TOD), Joseph Mazzello(JP), Ariana Richards(JP), Charlie Korsmo(HOOK, yes Joe is complementing HOOK), Tanya Fenmore & Laura Mooney(Twilight Zone, the Movie), Oliver Robbins & Heather O'Rourke(if anyone chooses to believe Spielberg directed this film, I don't).

I disagree.You can't get a better performance out of a lesser actor. To a large extent those kids were not really acting those parts, just being themselves, with the exception of Thomas, who is very talented, but also had a fairly convincing alien prop to play against, and a good variety of other characters to help his realism. Haley is carrying the film on his shoulders, with Jude Law's character being the only other fairly constant presence.

Only Jude Law gave a stellar performance, and Francis O'Conner gave perhaps the worst performance in a Spielberg film ever rivaled only by  Robin Williams' turn as Pan.

On the contrary, Francis gives a superb performance. She is supposed to be annoying, dizzy and selfish, that's her character. It's her function to make you dislike her, as it cranks up the emotional intensity for the horrifying abandoned in the woods scene. From the first introduction of his character, it is David who you "should" empathize with. Not seeing him as a robot is perhaps a crucial aspect to interpreting the film in the most beneficial way.

As far as Robin Williams is concerned, I don't know what your issue is there. In my opinion, he is one of the worlds finest actors. I get chills and tears welling up every time during certain dramatic scenes in Hook, not to mention his genius performance in Mrs Doubtfire, and his wonderful role in Good Will Hunting.

4. Both film and Spielberg invariably suffer throught the Spielberg/Kubrick comparisons, some fair some unfair.  There really are people out there who think Kubrick is a much better director, and while he is a very gifted director, he gets the nod of some by being a serious director, which in my book means he's never directed a crowd pleaser, while Spielberg, who has directed more crowd pleasers in the modern era than any other director, suffers because his films by and large have been crowd pleasers and are thus regarded as not serious films.

It is widely misunderstood by the public, those who aren't particularly informed about filmmaking and the people that work in it, that Kubrick made part of the film, the first part. In fact, the entire film was directed by Spielberg, based on a concept of Kubricks, and sketches for certain scenes. Some die-hard Kubrick fans spout that A.I. would have been a 'much darker film had Kubrick completed it' etc. Just ignorant poppycock. Kubrick was most insistent that Spielberg direct it all along. The DVD extras go into great detail about how A.I. came into being.

Spielberg has also said in interviews he is longer motivated to make crowd pleasers, but the films he really wants to make and are challenging for him. Anyone who holds onto the idea that Spielberg makes a certain kind of film should get over it, that period is over. He does have a certain obligation to his business to make films that don't lose money, but as far as the blockbusters are concerned, I think he is making sure those films are getting made by newer directors.

And by the way I have watched the film 4 times, meaning I have given the film 4 chances to change my opinion

Not if you went into it with the same attitude you had after the first time. The film itself is not likely to change your opinion while you are watching it. It's possible you may have a rather different experience of it a few years from now, depending on how your perception of many other things changes in the meantime.

I remember not liking Fight Club when I initially viewed it, the violence and seemingly pro-nihilist stance disturbed me and made me very uncomfortable and exasperated, but a few years later, after learning more about David Fincher and the author of the book on which it is based, I had a completely different perception of it and I now consider it to be quite a masterpiece. I was able to see the inner layers which previously

had alluded me, allowing the film to make sense and resonate with my psyche.

I think the essence of how one responds to a film is in direct relation to how one relates to certain characters. A large part of the general audience who shunned A.I. did so because they recognized, consciously or subconsciously, themselves in the behaviour of Henry, Monica or Martin. It is uncomfortable to think about what you would do in that situation. It is entirely feasible that the future will hold technology that makes possible the creation of a highly complex "robot" who is more human than human. I would like to think I would deal with David differently than the Swenton's did.

In regards to the perception of films, or any artwork, a human brain, as long as it is not physically damaged to any great degree, has the infinite capacity to continue growing through it's life, not just file and store new information but to actually assimilate and dynamically grow brain nerve endings to make new synapse connections between previously unconnected parts of the mind. This is the reason why perceptions change over time, and why, for example John Williams is able to write such a range of complex and moving music, because his mind is working at full throttle and making highly complicated connections between his emotion, reason, ego and so forth. Since he has essentially the same grey-matter as everyone else, and the same physiology, there is no reason why one can't reach the same level. The same applies to Spielberg, the films he is making are a projection of his brain state, certain combinations of colors, words, stories, characters, behaviours, conflicts and resolutions etc that he is experiencing in his own life that make sense to him and move him forward towards furthur questions and answers.