The Avengers: Age of Ultron discussion thread (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Yeah, that's what I mean. They are also Magneto's children (which was implied in that last X-Men film). But you probably know that.

But the, Mystique is Rogue's mother.

Karol

As long as the film is, it feels edited down. Especially Thor's part. I feel that there are parts missing from his story. Especially from his solo quest with Eric Selvig.

There's a shot of a woman in a cave in one of the trailers that apparently isn't in the film.

It's so annoying when a Director has reached the optimum cut of a film, and the studio wants to "Shave another 20 minutes off, we want more showings which means more money!" Yet they ignore the fact that in the top 20 highest grossing films, only 3 are under 2 hours (which are animated films), over 50 percent of them are 2 and a half hours or more, and a few are over 3 hours. I hope we get to see Whedon's Directors cut someday, or at least an extended edition or deleted scenes.

I've been thinking and I don't remember an interesting location used in Age of Ultron...

It begins in a generic eastern european woods, goes to New York (again), goes to a dark uninteresting warehouse to meet Serkis, goes to a cliche farmhouse used in just about every superhero film ever, Hulk vs Iron Man in a boring generic city, and the final act in a morbid, colourless eastern european city filled with grey buildings. Whoever was the location scout, set designer, lighting crew and cinematographer needs to be re-educated in how to catch the eye of the audience.

Nah, I actually liked how it all looked, believe me or not. It was more interesting than "television pilot" visuals of the first film.

It might have been posing as "Eastern European" but I can't think of many actual Eastern European locations that look anything like that. Surely enough, it was shot in Italy.

Karol

Guardians of the Galaxy had some eye catching locations. I can picture in my head the planet from the opening scene, the prison, the giant skull planet. In that aspect GotG was a lot more successful than the other Marvel movies. The first Captain America was striking too, although that's mostly due to the period in which the movie takes place and the cool retro-futuristic vibe it had. Asgard was pretty too, easily the best bit of the first Thor.

GotG in particular, none of the locations look THAT special or spectacular, but it had a wonderful sense of location. The movie transported you there, so I disagree that it didn't feel real enough.

GotG in particular, none of the locations look THAT special or spectacular, but it had a wonderful sense of location. The movie transported you there, so I disagree that it didn't feel real enough.

That's what I'm talking about, mate. I can't even remember that film very well, except for the title sequence (which was funny). Can't tell you what the plot was, or character's names or locations. It's all a blur. I just remember there was a lot of CG stuff in there. Just didn't care about any of it. Mildly entertaining for 2 hours, I guess, but, once over, I moved on.

Not trying to be antagonistic, just saying how I feel about this film.

Or not feel, rather.

Karol

Well I guess what you feel about Guardians, is what I feel about Age of Ultron.

I think we can all agree it wasn't as good as the first.

Oh forgot to add the Silvestri materal in the end credits doesn't sound like an old recording to me. If it is, then it must be an alternate or something.

Heroic Captain America statement sound very similar to the one heard in "rescuing the civilians" segment from 2012 but I don't think it's tracked.

There are some other Danny Elfman tracks that I'd like to have. One of them is from the opening sequence.

Pity the film itself gets worse with each viewing. Probably because it does justice to its characters in smaller moments and the grand scheme is clumsily executed. Even Whedon humour, as effextive as it is, can't save it from the abyss of some lazy plotting and uneven pacing.

Karol

2 hours 21 minutes. It's the runtime of the movie. The movie comes before the post-credits scene. And the green grass grows all around and around, and the green grass grows all around.

A 5+ minute video to explain a 15 second post credit scene?

A scene that was set up by a two hour twenty some minute movie?

It's true, though. :lol:

Karol

Finally saw it. Liked it a lot. Not as much as the first, but it was still a fun experience. Ultron being the pseudo-child of Tony Stark, by way of raiding his computers, it wasn't surprising to hear him do some wise-cracking. It felt natural, but it unfortunately made the main villain a bit too comical. I didn't feel as threatened by him all that much.

Vision was awesome, and the CGI-assisted scenes toward the end with the group fighting together, and Vision flying around, looked quite amazing. I liked the small moment of Vision flying off with Scarlet Witch, for those of us who are familiar with their comic story line counterparts.

I think the movie's key weakness is that it could have been longer; it felt a bit rushed despite its length. I wanted some things to be more fleshed out. Some additional scenes were sorely needed, one in particular: With all of this relationship building and connection making between Stark and Scarlet Witch, and Stark and Ultron, and Scarlet Witch and Ultron, there absolutely should have been moment between Scarlet Witch and Stark at the end to clear the air, who together confront a dying Ultron. Scarlet Witch could have still had her final moment but it would have been a bit more satisfying. Feels like a missed opportunity to me.

Also, I thought there was a scene (based on the trailer) that explained how indestructible Ultron was going to be by having him coated in special metals, making his presence and defeat even more intimidating and questionable. So unless there was a throwaway line in there I missed, that also lessened the impact of the main villain by making him just another robot who should not have been as powerful.

Anyway, I hate rattling on about what I felt was wrong, since it was a good flick, and will probably see it again in the theater.

I saw the movie this weekend, and I felt about the same as I did with the first Avengers movie. Pretty good, nothing thrilling. I'm ready for the first part of Avengers: Infinity War to focus on the New Avengers, hopefully with Iron Man/Thor/Captain America/Hulk/etc just appearing for the final Thanos battle in pt 2. This movie was overcrowded, and without full focus, there's not a lot of time to do anything worthwhile storywise with the characters we already know a ton about (Stark, Thor, Cap) just banter and cool action moments.

Nah, I actually liked how it all looked, believe me or not. It was more interesting than "television pilot" visuals of the first film.

I agree with this.

Giving them their own stories will make us care about them!

Black Widow is a 2-time secondary character, and I don't think any of us doubt that she could carry a movie at this point.

Besides, putting them into a straight ensemble movie like Avengers: Infinity War means that they can help each other bear the weight. It's not like any of them are getting their own standalone movie in the next five years.

I'd be very excited to see a Marvel ensemble movie fronted by two women, two people of color, and a dumb pastel robot.

But I'm sure you're right.

"New Avengers" appearing in Civil War

-Falcon

-Scarlet Witch

-Black Panther

-Winter Soldier (? - he's in the film, just dunno if he'll be a good guy yet)

"New Avengers" not appearing in Civil War

-Iron Patriot/War Machine

-The Vision

OG Avengers appearing in Civil War

-Iron Man

-Captain America

-Black Widow

-Hawkeye

OG Avengers not appearing in Civil War

-Hulk

-Thor

-Nick Fury

As for Infinity War, I'd reckon all of the New Avengers, led by Cap, will be the leads for Part 1, and towards they end they will get Thor, Iron Man, and Hulk to join, and part 2 will be them all in outer space or something fighting against the forces of Thanos or whatever, with the Guardians of the Galaxy joining in on their side.

Is Ant-Man supposed to eventually be an Avenger too?

He certainly has been in the comics, but it's too soon to tell where they're going with him.

It's difficult to figure out what the Infinity War lineup will be, since we also still have Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel coming up before then (plus any other characters introduced in those films, plus any other characters introduced in the various Captain America, Thor, and Guardians sequels, plus Spider-man).

They'll have to come up with a bunch of secondary and tertiary villains for Infinity War, because they have way too many good guys right now to have them all just fighting Thanos. They'll have to take all the heroes and break them up into 4 or 5 or 6 different groups each with their own storyline / task / fight / battle in the great war that will happen

I mean, look at how many good guys they'll have by then

7 original Avengers

-Iron Man

-Captain America

-Thor

-Hulk

-Black Widow

-Hawkeye

-Nick Fury

-10 New Avengers

-War Machine

-Falcon

-Scarlet Witch

-The Vision

-Black Panther

-Winter Soldier

-Ant Man

-Spider-man

-Doctor Strange

-Captain Marvel

6 Guardians of the Galaxy

-Star Lord

-Gamora

-Drax

-Groot

-Rocket

-I think a sixth member will get added in GOTG 2

That's a lot of good guys!

And doesn't even count other secondary good guys who conceivably join in on the fight against Thanos, like Heimdall, Odin, Siff, Maria Hill, Pepper Potts, Jane Foster, Selvig, Coulson, whoever is on the Agents of SHIELD show, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, etc

And who knows what side of the battle Loki will be on. He flip flops sides in all his movie appearances so far....

I'm already feeling it after Avengers 2, and when I'm seeing Jason's list of characters appearing in Captain America Civil War. Hopefully some are just cameos.

Maybe Infinity War will be something like this

faction 1: some kind of big New York City battle

-Spider-man

-Daredevil

-The Defenders (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

-Nick Fury & Maria Hill

faction 2 - some other battle(s) on Earth

-War Machine

-Falcon

-Coulson & some Agents of SHIELD characters

-Black Panther

-Doctor Strange

faction 3: Asgard battle

-Thor

-Odin

-Sif

-Loki

-Heimdall

-Hawkeye

faction 4: outer space battle

-Guardians of the Galaxy

-Iron Man

-The Vision

faction 5: some other planet battle

-Captain America

-Black Widow

-Hulk

-Ant Man

-Scarlet Witch

-Captain Marvel

And whoever's left alive defeats Thanos at the end.

Then Phase 4 has the third entry for Guardians of the Galaxy of course, plus second entries for Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Ant-man, Captain Marvel, and Spider-man... maybe a 4th entry for Iron Man/Captain America/Thor, but I doubt it (If anything, Steve Rogers wil be dead, and Winter Solider will now go by Captain America and get his own movie). Hopefully a first entry for Hulk, Black Widow/Hawkeye, Vision/Scarlet Witch - but who knows, really. The whole landscape of superhero films could be different in the 2020s. And a lot of the original OG Avengers actors might require too much money / simply not want to do these films any more.

Christ! Are these films ever going to die?

The Infinity War films do not sound fun...

After Phase 3 is over and the 2020s begin, a lot of who they will focus their Phase 4 films on will depend on:

-Which characters they haven't killed off

-Which actors aren't too expensive to keep paying

-Which actors want to continue playing these characters

Do Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, and Mark Ruffalo really want to keep playing these characters forever?

The Guardians of the Galaxy and Spider-man could be their biggest sure-bet left after Infinity War is over, unless Cumberbatch or whoever plays Captain Marvel really captivates audiences in 2016 and 2018