Elliot Goldenthal's Symphony in G# Minor (Available for Pre-Order)

For all ye who enjoy some good and challenging music, this fits the bell. Drops on the 12th of May.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldenthal-Symphony-In-G-Minor/dp/B00W4FTK78

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/goldenthal-symphony-in-g-minor/id989612045

AND it has some cool cameos of SPHERE and FINAL FANTASY, for those who love those scores (and who doesn't?).

AND it has some cool cameos of FINAL FANTASY...

Really, is the adagio theme in there?

It is the dream/vision/nightmare sequence.

AND it has some cool cameos of SPHERE and FINAL FANTASY, for those who love those scores (and who doesn't?).

Sounds like the pieces verbatim. Goldenthal pulled a Horner!

Give the guy a break before comparing him to Horner! He fell out of a chair and lost quite a few brain cells and his ability to speak for a while!

Yeah, knowing the circumstances, I'm not too bothered by the direct quotes. It's also something that Goldenthal has done on some occasions -- for example using the "Beast Within" cue from ALIEN 3 in other scores, like COBB and SPHERE. Or "Pressing Judgement" from A TIME TO KILL in TITUS.

Lack of inspiration maybe?

No, I guess it's more like taking back something he was fond of and giving it a new life into a different (and hopefully more lasting) realm. Those two movies are almost completely forgotten (and they weren't exactly all-time masterpieces).

Several film composers did this, mostly because they thought what they wrote for a film that ended up forgotten was probably deserving of a better life.

Yet he sued Tyler Bates for doing just that?

Bit hypocritical, isnt it.

No, he didn't sue Tyler Bates, he sued Warner Bros. and the production company.

The pieces Thor mentioned were a much different thing actually--I asked this specifically about them when I talked with him in 2003 and he said he didn't have a problem--those pieces were part of the temp score and both he and the director agreed to use them because they worked well in the new context.

Just like Vaughan Williams did with using his score for Scott of the Antartic as the basis of his stunning 7th Symphony (Sinfonia Antartica). And the world is a better place because of it

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of inspiration maybe?

No, I guess it's more like taking back something he was fond of and giving it a new life into a different (and hopefully more lasting) realm. Those two movies are almost completely forgotten (and they weren't exactly all-time masterpieces).

Several film composers did this, mostly because they thought what they wrote for a film that ended up forgotten was probably deserving of a better life.

I'm just now listening to it on iTunes. Pretty amazing it's almost exactly like the music he wrote for Sphere and Final Fantasy. But I'd rather listen to the film scores than this. It's difficult to say the least.

But yes, it makes sense that he would rework it for a different audience and more classical music inclined listeners will pick up on it and want to check out this gifted man's other work, because they'not too acquainted with film music. Which in turn will make them discover his cinematic gems.

So more recognition for Elliot. Sounds like a good deal if you ask me. :)

So Horner is bashed when he rehashes his movie stylings in a classical piece, but Elliot is praised for it.

Sigh...

Stif makes an interesting point. Shostakovitch had his D-S-C-H Germanic cryptogram in so many works but the use is always original and integral. Beethoven reused the "Ode to Joy" theme in his No. 9 from his earlier Choral Fantasy. Prokofiev reused his Fiery Angel material in his Symphony No. 3 but really what he did was expand on that material in a symphonic form fearing it would never get produced as an opera. Perhaps what we have here is Goldenthal getting more mileage out of under-utilized material?

Just met Goldenthal and got his Symphony signed. I'm at the Krakow Film Music Festival and he did a meet and greet in a coffee shop and chatted a bit about the symphony etc.

post-24809-0-50463500-1432994312.jpg

post-24809-0-93567100-1432994333.jpg

Anything interesting he said about the symphony?

It was alright. A nice take on pre-existing material, but could have done without the verbatim quotes.