The John Williams Health Issues Thread

I know you're bummed because of the cancellation, Stefan, but no need to "paint things black". I still maintain the belief that Williams is very healthy for an 83-year-old, and that the back ailment is temporary, at least as far as conducting is concerned. I also don't see the need in speculating about it; we'll know in due time if there are other issues beyond the back that will force him to slow down. Just look at how Morricone bounced back from his injuries, and is now more active than ever.

Let's enjoy the output while he's around instead of wallowing in misery of what will happen down the road.

(funnily, the JWFAN board is probably the only place in the world -- off- or online -- where I could be construed as an optimist! :))

you accuse Stefan of painting things black but you're being completely unrealistic. John is in poor health.

btw the people at FSM are pussies with chronic periods

I know you're bummed because of the cancellation, Stefan, but no need to "paint things black". I still maintain the belief that Williams is very healthy for an 83-year-old, and that the back ailment is temporary, at least as far as conducting is concerned. I also don't see the need in speculating about it; we'll know in due time if there are other issues beyond the back that will force him to slow down. Just look at how Morricone bounced back from his injuries, and is now more active than ever.

Let's enjoy the output while he's around instead of wallowing in misery of what will happen down the road.

(funnily, the JWFAN board is probably the only place in the world -- off- or online -- where I could be construed as an optimist! :))

you accuse Stefan of painting things black but you're being completely unrealistic. John is in poor health.

btw the people at FSM are pussies with chronic periods

Might be best if we just stop making jabs at them. Doesn't really add anything and just increases the negativity. :mellow:

John is in poor health.

I remember that ST NEMESIS was so atrocious because Goldsmith got chemo at the time, right? Dr. Joey strikes again!

You think Nemesis was atrocios?!?! WHAT?!?! I WILL FIGHT YOU ON THE SIDE OF THE STREET!!!!?!?!?!?112121

j/k.

However, I do honestly have the opposing view: next to TMP, it's my second favourite of the Goldsmith Trek scores. I don't know if Episode VII will be the same for me within John Williams' Star Wars scores.

When he does pass, I'm not looking forward to the "at least we have Giacchino. After all, he is the next John Williams" comments.

I don't think that is said here anymore, so you'll be ok.

Nobody is ever going to be "the new John Williams". It's like saying Barack Obama was the new Bill Clinton. Or red is the new blue. Apples are the new oranges. They're loosely connected by category but one is as different from the other. Why not just enjoy each for what they are and what they create rather than trying to compare or suggest a successor?

I'm sure both our current Mods share my opinion.

Well, one does: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24718&mode=show&page=

The other refrained from voting, as he doesn't want to offend anyone.

But anyone, that's not the point. The point is: Ricard disagrees with this!

Do Jay and BloodBoal *REALLY* think Michael Giacchino is the next John Williams?

Never understood this notion. And it's not only because I tend to dislike most of his output, but also because I see few similarities.

I'm sure both our current Mods share my opinion.

Well, one does: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24718&mode=show&page=

The other refrained from voting, as he doesn't want to offend anyone.

But anyone, that's not the point. The point is: Ricard disagrees with this!

That poll was for LOTR vs the SW Prequels, I voted they're equally good. The other one is where the disagreement is.

Jeah. I like. Fantastic performances.

"Shore's LOTR music moves and involves me emotionally. Williams' Star Wars music just annoys me to no end"

What a dumbfuck!

Jeah. Bold act from a guy who even cannot vote. Loser.

I believe I would change my vote now, in favor of Shore's work. He tells a musically compelling story in utterly unique shades that are infused with the very aesthetic DNA of Tolkien. Williams just wrote a trio of Williams scores, and while they're predictably brilliant, that's not enough for me. The films themselves are too paper-thin and ultimately that does affect the music's quality. Less complex music with greater dramatic and emotional weight > more complex and florid music signifying nothing.

JEAH!!

Please make your choice.

I believe I would change my vote now, in favor of Shore's work. He tells a musically compelling story in utterly unique shades that are infused with the very aesthetic DNA of Tolkien. Williams just wrote a trio of Williams scores, and while they're predictably brilliant, that's not enough for me. The films themselves are too paper-thin and ultimately that does affect the music's quality. Less complex music with greater dramatic and emotional weight > more complex and florid music signifying nothing.

Jeah! And the LOTR movies are not paper-thin? Not much to do with Tolkien I would say. Williams' music is just so much better and most of the time, better with the picture. And my brain loves this complexity of the battle music, shore's battle music is just a joke. Maybe good for you.

Maybe good for you.

You could have posted this alone and been correct. No pontification needed, and "just so much better" is not a compelling argument for your perspective, I fear.