Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

That's why you shouldn't listen only to good recordings when auditioning speakers. BTW, did you know there's a dropout in Time Out Of Mind? 

• 1 month later...

Yes, I already bought the Wharfdale Linton 85th Anniversary not too long ago (see this thread), but when I saw these (Denton 85th Anniversary) on a second-hand market (not ebay), I could not resist. At first I was disppointed with them. The treble had an excessive 'zing' to it. When using a single cable, Wharfdale recommends diagonal wiring (LF- and HF+) but when I connected it to the HF connectors (HF- and HF+), the 'zing' was gone. I also tried connecting them using only the bottom connectors (LF- and LF+) but then the mid-range becomes too prominent. Never knew all these different configurations could make such a difference.

denton85-walnut-3-1024x614.jpg

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If memory serves, Warfedales are noted for their prominent top end. My Sheltons were pretty trebley.

Indeed. Not that I'm that familiar with Wharfedale but I know they are known for being warm sounding speakers. Luckily there's a solution for people that don't like boosted treble. Searching the internet, not many Denton owners seem to be aware of that.

g336D85WN-o_other0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

WP-20211022-17-52-02-Pro-LI-1.jpg

Here they are: Just for fun, the Dentons next to my Lintons (sorry for the bad quality. It's with my phone and it isn't an iPhone). The Dentons (smaller ones) sound surprisingly good in this position.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Impressive. Most impressive.

Ooh! KARMAKIRIAD. Nice :). My favourite of the Nightly Trilogy.

My favorite Fagen solo album as well!  An opinion I seem to remember Alex expressing disbelief at before.

41 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do you ever run both pairs together ...

No, I don't. The Dentons are for in another room. But that room don't seem to like them very much. I don't think it's even possible to run them both at the same time because of the combined impedance. 

41 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ooh! KARMAKIRIAD.

It's how I check the treble response these days. The first track has a very sharp hi-hat which actually sound too prominent and fatiguing in my other smaller room but here in this room it's okay. Very strange. And somewhat later there a terrible ride cymbal with extreme HF (and only HF).

28 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I have no idea why. 

I like the instrumental outro of 'On The Dunes', but that's about it. I'm not a fan of any of the other DF (other than The Nightfly) or new Steely Dan CDs but I don't mind putting them on from time to time. Today I listened to The Royal Scam ... much, much better. 

BTW, can you locate the Linn Sondek LP12? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This year I officially dropped my mp3/flac player and my Micro SD cards.

My current audio equipment for listening music is:

- My Galaxy S20 Phone

- Foobar2000 for Android

- My Nassen Type C Cable Cord 384khz-32bit Hi-Res DAC for Galaxy S20+

- My Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers (connected to my phone when I listen to music)

- My new Meze 99 Classics headphones

- My iDrive cloud (where all my FLACs are stored)

Next year, I'll invest in new speakers, but these one are very okay, most of the time I listen to my music with headphones.

51Vndpu7jgL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

81pZHqV-rqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

8195zA9bpNS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh cool, I didn't realize they made USB-C DACs.  That's pretty cool

And they exist in different quality, buy only Hi-Res ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the Bowers and Wilkins 606 S2 which are excellent monitor speakers for a ridiculous price! You will hear totally new nuances especially in the low frequency area. The bass is authentic, wow!

Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 Anniversary Edition review: Sterling sound from  silver speakers - CNET

Just a warning: The speakers are very demanding - you need the proper equipment if you want to use their full potential.

It's said that with its aluminium dome tweeter these have a forward treble. If so, I would certainly not match them with bright sounding amps and sources. There's a way to find out. How does this sound on them? Particularly the ride cymbals? 

R-375524-1298901156.jpeg.jpg

On my own amplifier the ride cymbals are very pleasant and the crash cymbals are ... quite dominant. On my parents' inferior amplifier (which we've connected the speakers to initially) the cymbals would probably have been much too dominant.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was 15 -16 -17, my mother had this amp (yes, the black one) and my favorite switch was the Loudness switch. In fact, I thought music only sounded good with Loudness switched on. Later I really had to learn how to listen without Loudness but I still have the best memories of the days I had with this amp.

5556391168_2e7eaeb3ce_b.jpg

Pioneer SX-5580 Stereo Receiver

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, AC1 said:

No, that's Adam Driver. He's an actor. You might know him from the Disney Star Wars movies. 

I meant to write on the left. Anyway, I didn't recognize Adam without his light saber. I guess it was to heavy to bring along.