The Two Towers COMPLETE RECORDINGS 3CD set

Marian Schedenig

Also, I've discovered the phenomenon that the German subtitles are often different and so much better than the dub itself.

Sometimes, sometimes it's the other way round. The original subs often are totally off as well. :)

I'll take subtitles over a dub any day.

Or better yet, no subtitles at all, and the original language.

Of course, if it's anything other than English or Dutch, that gets a bit difficult, so subtitles will do fine.

- Marc, who tried watching Der Untergang on ZDF, but had quite some trouble understanding all of the dialogue (despite it being a second viewing).

I guess so.

I could still extract what was said from context and reactions, but with a movie this good, I want to take all of it in, including all of the dialogue. Subtitles would really help fill in the blanks.

- Marc, who still has that ZDF tape lying around somewhere...

And both lead characters live in a hole in the ground.

By the way, TTT is now up for pre- oder at Barnes and Noble. At a price of 75 $. But I hope this will go down, unless there's some major surprise we haven't heard of yet.

We have a probable tracklist ;)

Originally from here, but it uses frames so I can't link it directly, but here's a copy & paste:

(strange numbering is the site listing the DVD tracks first separately)

181: Glamdring

182: Elven Rope

183: Lost In Emyn Muil

184: My Precious

185: Ugluks Warriors

186: The Three Hunters

187: The Banishment Of Eomer

188: Night Camp

189: The Plains Of Rohan

190: Fangorn

191: The Dead Marshes

192: Wraiths On Wings

193: Gandalf The White

194: The Dreams Of Trees

195: The Heir Of Numenor

196: Ent-draught

197: Edoras

198: The Court Of Meduseld

199: Theoden King

200: The Kings Decision

201: Exodus From Edoras

202: The Forests Of Ithilien

203: One Of The Dunedain

204: The Wolves Of Isengard

205: Refuge At Helms Deep

206: The Voice Of Saruman

207: Arwens Fate

208: The Story Foretold

209: Sons Of The Steward

210: Rock And Pool

211: Faramirs Good Council

212: Aragorns Return

213: War Is Upon Us

214: Where Is The Horse And The Rider?

215: The Host Of The Eldar

216: The Battle Of The Hornburg

217: The Breach Of The Deeping Wall

218: The Entmoot Decides

219: Retreat

220: Master Peregrins Plan

221: The Last March Of The Ents

222: The Nazgul Attack

223: Theoden Rides Forth

224: The Tales That Really Matter

225: Long Ways To Go Yet

Doug Adams confirmed the track list to be accurate. Here is the list again divided into three discs if anyone is interested:

1. Glamdring

2. Elven Rope

3. Lost In Emyn Muil

4. My Precious

5. Ugluks Warriors

6. The Three Hunters

7. The Banishment Of Eomer

8. Night Camp

9. The Plains Of Rohan

10. Fangorn

11. The Dead Marshes

12. Wraiths On Wings

13. Gandalf The White

14. The Dreams Of Trees

15. The Heir Of Numenor

16. Ent-draught

1. Edoras

2. The Court Of Meduseld

3. Theoden King

4. The Kings Decision

5. Exodus From Edoras

6. The Forests Of Ithilien

7. One Of The Dunedain

8. The Wolves Of Isengard

9. Refuge At Helms Deep

10.: The Voice Of Saruman

11. Arwens Fate

12. The Story Foretold

13. Sons Of The Steward

14. Rock And Pool

15. Faramirs Good Council

1. Aragorns Return

2. War Is Upon Us

3. Where Is The Horse And The Rider?

4. The Host Of The Eldar

5.: The Battle Of The Hornburg

6. The Breach Of The Deeping Wall

7. The Entmoot Decides

8. Retreat

9. Master Peregrins Plan

10. The Last March Of The Ents

11. The Nazgul Attack

12. Theoden Rides Forth

13. The Tales That Really Matter

14. Long Ways To Go Yet (Featuring Gollum's Song sung by Emiliana Torrini)

There are of course several "featuring artist" credits (e.g. Sheila Chandra and Elisabeth Fraser) missing on that list (which was taken from that CDON website) but Mr. Adams confirmed the last one and we could have deduced Gollum's Song had to be there in the end anyway.

Go listen to Fellowship 288 times.  

Did you actually calculate that? You seem to have too much spare time at your hands ;)

Could you subtract showering, meals and 8 hours of sleep per day for me?

By the way, I've downloaded Seinfeld's seasons 7 and 8, so you might consider subtracting those as well.

Go listen to Fellowship 288 times.  

Did you actually calculate that? You seem to have too much spare time at your hands ;)

Could you subtract showering, meals and 8 hours of sleep per day for me?

By the way, I've downloaded Seinfeld's seasons 7 and 8, so you might consider subtracting those as well.

24/3 = 8

8 X 36 = 288.

Here's a calculator, you do the rest.

But yes, I do have some spare time at the moment :P

Unfortunately so.

And I'm not pre-ordering until the price drops. I know it's LotR, but £50 for 3 cds is absolutely insane and I think they're pushing their luck too far ;)

And you know, what frustrates me the most is that the guys who did all the real magic on this release won't see any of that. It's a sad thing IMO that the lower cost of this release (due to Doug and the team working voluntarily) hasn't resulted in a lower than average price. Nope, Reprise is still milking it for all they can.

The music is certainly worth the price. I will buy this music no matter the price. But I still wonder why the price is higher than last year. I guess we have to wait and see what is the sum they will settle for.

Rich the team that works on these sets did not take on the project for free and neither did Doug Adams. Shore paid most of the cost of the whole compiling of the music from his own pocket. He has invested quite heavily in these sets.

The price is way too high. We're getting a package that matches the first in almost every way. Why on Earth would it be so much more? That's appalling.

Ted

Perhaps the estimate over how much the project cost them was to optimistic for FOTR and now they have to adjust the price.

Or perhaps FOTR did not sell as well as they hoped.

In that case I'm pleased that they are jacking the price up for the other 2 sets instead of ABANDONING them.

Imagine if FOTR CR was all we ever got?

60 pounds or not, I'm buying this.

I'll be buying it too, naturally. I'd feel better about spending $75 on this than $25 on the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition. I am just a bit surprised to see this price so much higher than the last album.

Ted

Really? I would have thought that Fellowship was longer. Although I am looking forward to getting this score, there aren't a whole lot of cues I can think of that I've been patiently waiting for, except for the whole battle of Helm's Deep. What are some other noteworthy cues?

Ted, who thought that the Two Towers OST was by far the best of the three OSTs in both music selection and overall music quality

More of the music from the Three Walkers chasing the Uruk.

All the music for the Helms Deep battle.

The short, beautiful cue for when we first see Shadowfax.

The Gondor music from the extende cut.

The foreshadowing of the Nature Reclamation Theme when Merry is talking about the trees.

The short, but impressive rising brass music for when the Huorns are killing the Uruk.

The only performance of the Nazgul Theme outside of FOTR.

The complete version of the underrated The Black Gate Closes.

The numerous short version of Eowyn's theme.

On their own any of these cues might not seem like a valid reason to buy this release, but cobbled together, with a lot of music I have not even mentioned it makes this such a worthwhile way to spend your money.

Unlike Williams scores like the Star Wars stuff, where you can point out a particular track or a concert piece to show why it is so brilliant, the LOTR scores work best when listening to the whole CD or the whole score as a long single work. And I cannot emphasise, I cannot stress that in the case of TTT, it is absolutely vital to get every track, every precious 30 second cue of underscore and in the currect order.

All the music for the Helms Deep battle.

I can't wait to hear all that. There is a wealth of great action music during that battle.

The short, beautiful cue for when we first see Shadowfax.

I have always loved that little cue from the first time I heard it. I wish there was more of it in the films. The theme heard after that, when they are travelling, I have always considered that a Shadowfax theme as well. It's heard also in its grandest form when the Rohirrim charge down the mountain. It's a brilliant theme.

The foreshadowing of the Nature Reclamation Theme when Merry is talking about the trees.

Any performance of that I would love.

The only performance of the Nazgul Theme outside of FOTR.

Yes! I'm looking forward to hearing that.

On their own any of these cues might not seem like a valid reason to buy this release, but cobbled together, with a lot of music I have not even mentioned it makes this such a worthwhile way to spend your money.

Unlike Williams scores like the Star Wars stuff, where you can point out a particular track or a concert piece to show why it is so brilliant, the LOTR scores work best when listening to the whole CD or the whole score as a long single work. And I cannot emphasise, I cannot stress that in the case of TTT, it is absolutely vital to get every track, every precious 30 second cue of underscore and in the currect order.

You speak very wisely (except when you're making fun of my mother). To have all three of these scores in their most complete form will be truly amazing. I too think that Lord of the Rings is about everything large and small, and listening to them through is like listening to a symphony.

Ted

I have to whole heartedly agree with Stefan. LotR scores should be heard in their complete form. They are such a work that the deeper appreciation comes from hearing them in their entirety. I do not say that the cues do not stand on their own as individual moments but hearing how everything comes together and complements the whole adds so much to the listening experience. A truly deep work.

FotR sold tons for what it is - no one can complain.

In that case I'm pleased that they are jacking the price up for the other 2 sets instead of ABANDONING them.

Imagine if FOTR CR was all we ever got?

60 pounds or not, I'm buying this.

So am I, without a shadow of a doubt.

But I'm glad Ted sees my side - I feel having probably about half an hour more music doesn't justify this increase in price.

I'll clarify something here - it's the business principle I object to here. Nothing will eventually keep me from buying this.

Mikko - who ever suggested that we shouldn't hear these scores in complete form? I'm in total, dedicated agreement with that - I can't wait to get hold of this stuff :D

FotR sold tons for what it is - no one can complain.

It totally depends on what Reprise was hoping or expecting it to sell.

Remember the 3 original releases were all among the hottest selling soundtracks of their release years.

Complete score re-releases generally do not sell as well because:

A. the film has faded from publicity so the soundtrack cannot ride on the succes of the film.

B. People who had only a casual interest in the music because they like the songs or some music they heard in the film will likely be more then happy with the OST CD's and not spend more money on music they already feel they have.

So usually these complete scores are bought by filmscore fans and devoted fans of the particular films.

Titanic OST sold 25 million, Back to Titanic far less, same with Gladiator, same with Braveheart and same with The Phantom Menace.

same with Braveheart

How dare you even reference that unholy piece of sh*t that is More Music from Braveheart? Someone should suffer for that. I know I did when I first listened to it. :D

Anyway, I agree, that 75 bucks is really steep. I don't understand why a similar product as the FotR CR suddenly has to cost 50% more.

Still, with this set, I'll just hop on the bandwagon, and buy it anyway. It's almost like I'm a Star Wars fan! :devil:

I concur with Marc regarding Braveheart.

Its 'More Music From' album is a crappy, unworthy piece of plastic. Comparison with LotR CR's is like comparing Pirates of the Caribbean with Buckbeak's Flight :D

But I'm glad Ted sees my side - I feel having probably about half an hour more music doesn't justify this increase in price.  

Actually it's more like 2-1/2 hours of additional music plus a DVD-A.

Barnes & Noble lists it for $60.78, $54.70 if you are a member.

Check around and just don't use Amazon. That could be only a suggested retail price and it might go down as we get closer to the actual release date.

Doug Adams]Ok gang,

I’m just back in town now. I’ll dig into questions tonight in earnest, but for now a quick—and yes, important!—update. A couple of key people had to be away this week on personal business, so while there won’t yet be an official statement in the press, Howard just called to ask me to let you know that…

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers – The Complete Recordings will be available in late October, 2006.

So spread the word. You’ve got less than three months to wait now!

Back later,

-Doug

Anyone know if this is still on schedule? If so just another couple weeks then, eh? :D

Hey I'm not sure if it has already been mention here in this thread...but when are they going to release the complete recording for the 2nd and the 3rd movie? Are they going to release them considering they release the complete recording for the 1st movie (Fellowship Of The Ring)?

The release date has been mentioned here before. The TTT CR will be released on the 7th of November. The release date for the RotK CR is still open. They have to assemble it first :D

How dare you even reference that unholy piece of sh*t that is More Music from Braveheart? Someone should suffer for that. I know I did when I first listened to it. :angry:

Could've been worse. Could've been More Music from Gladiator. :D