Apparently 4k isn't always 4k.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Some great comparisons in there, examples of remasters done properly and not just reusing decade old DVD transfers.

Ridley Scott and James Cameron are probably two directors I have the most trust in when it comes to these things, they are fortunately very hands-on with their film restorations. Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator are superb examples of reference quality Bluray PQ.

Especially when they're fixing up a previously flawed Bluray release, like Gladiator.

Original release using DVD master:

1806_5_large.jpg

Remaster:

3208_5_large.jpg

What does it mean if I think the top image looks better?  I don't like the re-colorization and removal of the "gritty, real" feeling of the original.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

This is not quite what you're looking for, but caps-a-holic.com allows you to compare screencaps from various home video releases of a movie to see if there are such changes that were made.

Examples (scroll down the page and move your mouse over the big picture to see the difference. If you want to see a different shot, just select one, then select "Fullscreen comparison"):

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=5041&d2=5040&s1=47006&s2=46994&i=9&l=0

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=3554&d2=3552&s1=32885&s2=32864&i=6&l=0

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=7986&d2=7987&s1=76032&s2=76048&i=0&l=0

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=5240&d2=5241&s1=48921&s2=48953&i=9&l=0

It's amazing how much better FOTR theatrical looks than FOTR Extended even in a shot like that one!

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What does it mean if I think the top image looks better?  I don't like the re-colorization and removal of the "gritty, real" feeling of the original.

What about the white halos around all the soldiers, due to excessive sharpening? And the general lack of detail at fullscreen compared with the second image?

And I think you'll find the warmer colorization of the second image is far more accurate to Ridley's intentions for that film overall, not the washed out first version.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's amazing how much better FOTR theatrical looks than FOTR Extended even in a shot like that one!

I'm still waiting for WB to admit this was an authoring error. I just cannot believe PJ intended for the entire movie to be coated in a sickly green layer of teal.

It's such a shame, too, because the EE Bluray transfer is miles more detailed than the TE Bluray. Just compare this shot for a good example:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=5240&d2=5241&s1=49058&s2=49059&i=0&l=0

Just now, crumbs said:

What about the white halos around all the soldiers, due to excessive sharpening? And the general lack of detail at fullscreen compared with the second image?

And I think you'll find the warmer colorization of the second image is far more accurate to Ridley's intentions for that film overall, not the washed out first version.

Now that may be true.  I saw Gladiator once and thought it was stupid so I don't know much about it.  It was just my immediate reaction to seeing two images next to each other.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm still waiting for WB to admit this was an authoring error. I just cannot believe PJ intended for the entire movie to be coated in a sickly green layer of teal.

It's such a shame, too, because the EE Bluray transfer is miles more detailed than the TE Bluray. Just compare this shot for a good example:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=5240&d2=5241&s1=49058&s2=49059&i=0&l=0

Wow, quite a difference in that shot!

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm glad I decided to wait on buying LOTR on bluray now!  Still holding out on a massive Hobbit+LOTR with new features boxset.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm glad I decided to wait on buying LOTR on bluray now!  Still holding out on a massive Hobbit+LOTR with new features boxset.

I really hope we eventually see all that bonus material they withheld from the LOTR DVDs, but the latest update on that happening was sobering reading.

Just now, crumbs said:

I really hope we eventually see all that bonus material they withheld from the LOTR DVDs, but the latest update on that happening was sobering reading.

Yes the events of last summer were very disheartening.

I must be forgetting what you guys are talking about (need to get that morning coffee going...), can you link me to what you're talking about?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I must be forgetting what you guys are talking about (need to get that morning coffee going...), can you link me to what you're talking about?

The two boxsets that WB released last year that were just re-packages of the same old releases and then the news that PJ & co. apparently offered to put together new bonus features and WB turned them down (presumably to keep costs low).  Looking for a link.

Here you go, @Jay

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2016/08/23/101644-exclusive-peter-jackson-not-involved-in-this-release/

The quote that is so disheartening:

“In addition there was the added difficulty of Warners needing to access the original negative and scan the outtakes, bloopers, and additional sequences. They declined to do this, which made Michael Pellerin and my original plans for the comprehensive documentary we hoped to produce for this box set, impossible to produce. Neither Michael nor myself are therefore involved in this release. Maybe Warners will support our planned documentary for the 25th anniversary, because we would love to make it one day.”

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The two boxsets that WB released last year that were just re-packages of the same old releases and then the news that PJ & co. apparently offered to put together new bonus features and WB turned them down (presumably to keep costs low).  Looking for a link.

Well yes, I know the boxsets last year were straight reissues with no bonuses added, but it sounded like you guys were talking about something more specific than that with words like "sobering" and "disheartening"

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

See here:

Oh, is that all we're going on?  Something someone "heard" from an "insider"?  Alrighty then....

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Oh, is that all we're going on?  Something someone "heard" from an "insider"?  Alrighty then....

No, it's the official statement from Peter Jackson that I linked to above.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Thanks!  I remember now!

That description of the deleted scenes sounds juicy. I'd love to see the footage they didn't put in the EE. Wasn't the first cut of ROTK 5 hours long or something?

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

If you guys have two hours to spare, here's an excellent, very informative interview video with Michael Pellerin (the guy who did the LOTR appendices), talking about the FOTR green tint issue, the still unreleased behind-the-scenes footage and deleted scenes, etc.:

The green tint issue is discussed at 01:05:10 here (along with the eventual 4K transfer).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

The second, warmer pic looks much better indeed!

On 09/01/2017 at 3:28 AM, Rose Dawson said:

I still think that Raiders is a poor transfer because of the color changes. I prefer the DVD or HD broadcast,

I'd prefer it, if the man in the T-shirt was erased ;)

On 09/01/2017 at 3:42 AM, Rose Dawson said:

Well, at least Always looks amazing.

Agreed; its a gorgeous-looking film.

It's frustrating because Raiders really does look incredible aside from the color timing. Now, it may be that there was attempt to match the look of the original theatrical version in the desert scenes, but I think they went overboard.

I always find it somewhat odd for viewers to attempt to speak with much authority about how various films should look or how remasters are completely inaccurate and spoil the film. There's a few reasons for this. Firstly, no-one has such a photographic memory that they can reliably tell me how a films colours looked in detail from decades or even a few years ago. Also, when people are commenting on how a film used to look as the definitive or true version, are they assuming that the projection was accurate? Was the print in perfect condition? Or are they judging remasters on the merits of old VHS or DVD era transfers that had to make allowances for technical colour limitations?

There have been cock-ups (The French Connection is a famous one) but generally, and unless there's an obvious shift to a trendy colour scheme, I'm pretty happy to take directors & dops at their word if they say a new transfer is accurate.

On the topic of 4K, it's true that a lot of films completed digitally are going to be upscaled unless special measures are taken but for me the main benefit of the UHD Blu-ray format is the much wider colour gamut and HDR. We can now have and, with HDR television sets, see transfers that contain all the colour, contrast & brightness information that was either on the original negative, digital files or what the director and dop intended us to see. Resolution is just a small part of the UHD format.

I remember exactly how Star Trek: Generations looked in the theater. It looked like all the home video releases prior to the Blu-ray. It did not have an obnoxious green tint.

Well that's the argument Peter Jackson uses for the FOTR EE Bluray. He never graded the film properly for the theatrical release.

Yet I distinctly remember the colour grading featurette on the DVD... Hmmm!

They are dumping early OLED screens because they are not 4K.

So the unaware, innocent consumer thinks HDR is the answer? They hate shadows? 

6 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

I remember exactly how Star Trek: Generations looked in the theater. It looked like all the home video releases prior to the Blu-ray. It did not have an obnoxious green tint.

Alan1984 questions that.

Which still isn't much for a 55" OLED screen ... A Trinitron 32" tube television costed a lot more at the time. The curved screen is what bothers me. I loved it when I saw Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner at my favorite theatre but that curved screen was the biggest screen of Belgium.  Apparently it doesn't have any effect on a 55".

On 12/01/2017 at 7:29 AM, Alexcremers said:

They are dumping early OLED screens because they are not 4K.

So the unaware, innocent consumer thinks HDR is the answer? They hate shadows? 

Alan1984 questions that.

No I don't. Not necessarily. I said there had been screw ups and just about every Trek film prior to 2009 and Khan has an awful transfer. They're in real need of a decent restoration and accurate colour grading.

1 hour ago, Daniel Clamp said:

What sucks is that according to this site, http://realorfake4k.com - all the new Trek films on UHD are fake 4K.

No great surprise -- most modern films have a 2K DI and all visual effects are rendered in 2K.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Which still isn't much for a 55" OLED screen ... A Trinitron 32" tube television costed a lot more at the time.

I got my 32" Trinitron for around €2,000 in the year 2000 or something. My first projector two or three years later cost less and actually had less ghosting and therefore a more watchable image in dark scenes, even though the early LCD projectors had lousy contrast.

The new Trek films don't matter anyway. We still need the original films redone, except for The Wrath of Khan (2016 version) and Nemesis, which I think are pretty exceptional transfers. The spirit of John Alonzo visited me last night and demanded that the green tint be removed from Generations.

4 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

The new Trek films don't matter anyway. We still need the original films redone, except for The Wrath of Khan (2016 version) and Nemesis, which I think are pretty exceptional transfers. The spirit of John Alonzo visited me last night and demanded that the green tint be removed from Generations.

I'm pretty sure that Nick Meyer confirmed that the 2016 Khan remaster was completed in 4K with HDR too so I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 4K disc very soon. A great shame that Paramount cheaped out and didn't show the other films a bit of love as well.

I'm not sure I've bothered watching Generations since the Blu-ray came out so I've not seen or don't remember the green tint. I remember Nemesis looking a bit "DVD-era" with haloing etc but again, it's been years since I watched the disc so I could be remembering it wrong.

Generations is extremely green-tinted. It's obvious in every scene, but especially in the scenes that were memorably very orange or reddish in hue when the Enterprise is at Amargosa. That's how I know it's wrong. It's also DNR'd to death. It's still a beautiful film despite these massive flaws, a tribute to Alonzo.

http://movie-screencaps.com/star-trek-generations-1994/21/

The big Bond boxset is a wide variety of different transfer types.

Of all the pre-Craig films, the very best transfers are:

The Spy Who Loved Me

Tomorrow Never Dies

They look so new and filmic with all their grain structure intact and scanned properly.

Next down, they might be older transfers but they still hold up really well:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Diamonds Are Forever

Thunderball

You Only Live Twice

Goldfinger

From Russia With Love

Dr No

The World Is Not Enough

Next look okay, but are a step down:

Live and Let Die

The Man With the Golden Gun

Below looks like it would have been newish in the early 2000s:

Die Another Day (it looks similar to Star Trek Nemesis)

Bottom of the barrel. These look no better than the DVD:

Moonraker

For Your Eyes Only

Octopussy

A View to a Kill

The Living Daylights

Licence to Kill

GoldenEye (absolute fucking worst)