What happened to the choir?

Sandor

On 4/13/2017 at 2:51 PM, Bartokus Novus said:

The way Williams uses the choir in his scores (which could probably be deemed more traditionally rooted usage than, say, Powell's efforts) lends a certain exaggerated dramatic effect to a piece of music, a sentiment of grandeur. I believe the oft frowned upon term epic might apply here very well, since the choir and its dramatic effect were a substantial factor in many a Greek theatrical epoch. Remember that in classical music, the choir was reserved for these very evocations of grandeur, paired with some form of epic storytelling - masses, requiems, passions, almost sacral symphonies (e.g. Mahler's/Beethoven's Ninth). To be honest it's this connotation that renders a lot of modern choir writing in film scores to appear a bit clumsy and tongue-in-cheek, in my opinion.

The Star Wars Prequels (and the Harry Potter films too) were films that (regardless of their failures) fell back upon the tradition of grand, epic storytelling, the former in an almost biblical fashion. And even then, notice how Williams reserves the choir for certain climactic points in the dramatic arch for maximum effect. I think TFA and the rest of Williams' recent film work simply can't compare to the former because of the radical differences in storytelling, drama and overall mood. 

Totally agree. 

I do quite like some good use of choir.

I like it even more when it isn't overused.

And these days, in many films and trailers, it has definitely been overused.

So I don't mind Williams NOT falling for that.

I have a soft spot for Williams' "pop choruses" in the 60s, like HTSAM or THE PLAINSMAN (although the former is dated in a charming way, and the latter in a rather cheesy way).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I have a soft spot for Williams' "pop choruses" in the 60s, like HTSAM or THE PLAINSMAN (although the former is dated in a charming way, and the latter in a rather cheesy way).

Those soundtrack pop songs sung by a group of vocalists were so popular in the 1960s.  I guess "Moon River" had a lot to do with that?  That song has certainly not dated in a bad way.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I don't feel like TFA needed choir, to be honest.

Me neither.  It was so consciously a return to the mood of the original trilogy, which were so much less operatic than the prequels.  It totally made sense not to use choir much.

TFA didn't need choir, but after the prequels I definitely felt like something was missing.

Going from III to VII couldn't be a more polarizing experience, in film score listening. There's an obvious evolution in his musical maturity over that decade, but I missed that indulgent, operatic melodrama of his prequel writing.

Conversely, that makes TFA refreshing with its restraint (as the first act in any trilogy should be).

I think it's good when there's choir, but then, I don't particularly miss it when it's not there, either.

I felt TFA might have benefited from a few choir passages, but it's not a complaint. It's fine as it is.

Agreed, bit cliched at this point to just regurgitate Binary Sunset. We've heard that solo French horn rendition a million times before; it was an obvious opportunity to do something unexpected, or at least elevate the existing material with choir or otherwise.

Frankly I'm surprised a fanboy like JJ was so supportive of the restraint.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Agreed, bit cliched at this point to just regurgitate Binary Sunset. We've heard that solo French horn rendition a million times before; it was an obvious opportunity to do something unexpected, or at least elevate the existing material with choir or otherwise.

Frankly I'm surprised a fanboy like JJ was so supportive of the restraint.

A million times? There are just 7 official Star Wars movies, and only one or two of them have the Force Theme ending. :lol:

But yeah, I see that you mean.

Just now, Muad'Dib said:

Using a choir for Han's death would have been interesting but cliched as hell at this point. Like using a lamenting solo cello...

Plus it's such a short moment in film that it would have come across as cheesy.  

2 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Using a choir for Han's death would have been interesting but cliched as hell at this point. Like using a lamenting solo cello...

It's not the choir itself that's cliched. What matters is what JW comes up with when writing for the choir.... 

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Plus it's such a short moment in film that it would have come across as cheesy.  

Not if it's done right. There are literally a trillion things JW could have come up with....

But again, choir or no choir, both versions would have worked, imo.

I think what we got is the best possible option of them all. 

The tragic Force theme variation would have been cool as fuck, but the cut had changed too much for it to fit anymore.

• 4 months later...

Can't believe I missed this thread, some funny Daisy/JW stuff on page one!

And yea, I hadn't thought about it, but JW hasn't really used much choir post-ROTS, has he.  

I wonder if it has to do with LA singers, the movies he's scored lately, or anything else.

I hope Episode 9 has teh epic choirz