John Williams Autograph

John Tenuto

6 hours ago, LeHah said:

This took more doing than I care to admit. It took 4 or 5 months to come back, but landed August 11, 2022.

IMG_4945.jpeg

Can I ask you to let me know what address you sent your request for an autograph to? Thanks :)

So you're saying you sent it care of the Philadelphia Orchestra, and hoped they would pass it on to him when he came?

Well done! Luckily the person who received it was sympathetic and passed it on. You asked for it to be personalized? I think that would help, so they don't think you're an autograph dealer.

1 hour ago, LeHah said:

Most of the autograph groups on Facebook are bunk but one or two people reported success with the Vienna Concert.

Never heard of that before, but I did hear that the Hotel Imperial had strict instructions not to pass anything on to Williams that people might send in advance.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Well done! Luckily the person who received it was sympathetic and passed it on. You asked for it to be personalized? I think that would help, so they don't think you're an autograph dealer.

Didn’t dare ask for anything more than an autograph. The personalization / dedication was his own volition.

That said: I wonder if maybe the album choice had something to do with it. I imagine he doesn’t get a lot of people asking him about Spacecamp.

Then he'd be really tickled if I sent him this:

image.jpeg

But then I'd be stuck with a John Williams autograph on "Heartbeeps". lol

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Autographs are nice "to haves" but not really "must haves", especially not when they are forced off someone and there's no personal interaction involved.

This is a great quote.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Never heard of that before, but I did hear that the Hotel Imperial had strict instructions not to pass anything on to Williams that people might send in advance.

I had a bouquet of flowers sent to him to his room with a card wishing him good luck before the concert in 2020, they were delivered without a problem.  

8 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Autographs are nice "to haves" but not really "must haves", especially not when they are forced off someone and there's no personal interaction involved.

Your innate ability to post the most dour and off-topic reply, antithetical to the thread title, makes me very tired.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd rather have his DNA.

If you have him sign a glossy you might get a fingerprint. And I won't even ask why you want it.

8 hours ago, BB-8 said:

With Williams' signature it's just fun to know that he signed it with the same hand that penned all those notes. As for no personal interaction and not obtaining the signature myself, it does unfortunately leave a nagging uncertainty of it not being genuine, even if you're 99.9% sure...

4 hours ago, JTW said:

I had a bouquet of flowers sent to him to his room with a card wishing him good luck before the concert in 2020, they were delivered without a problem.  

Who else is not sure if he's joking. lol

Funny timing for this thread to bump back up, because I had a hell of a buy this past week. I won this on eBay for a whopping $38. Yes, thirty eight dollars. It was at a local coin store that clearly didn’t realize its significance, and no one else really bid on it. No certificate of authenticity, but it’s remarkably similar (not exact, but similar) to one that sold in a Star Wars autograph Facebook group last year where every post is analyzed by experts before being approved, and that one also didn’t have a COA but was said to have been signed at a promo event, so it makes sense there’d be more than one out there. This one passed both SWAU and Beckett’s online quick opinion services before I bid on it, but I imagine I should send it in for full authentication. Regardless, quite nervously excited about this. 👀

IMG_9878.jpeg

IMG_9879.jpeg

It’s a flat 12x12 promo image, but looks close enough to a record sleeve that it looks quite nice alongside my signed original trilogy vinyls.

IMG_9883.jpeg

I would've snatched it up and taken a "risk" at $38 too! I could live with any nagging suspicion at that price!

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Who else is not sure if he's joking.

Why would I be joking? Sending flowers to artists, even to male artists has been commonplace for centuries. 

6 hours ago, JTW said:

Why would I be joking? Sending flowers to artists, even to male artists has been commonplace for centuries. 

I remember there was a period of a few years where people kept offering him teddy bears at the stage.

RE: autographs- they are a double edged sword for me. If they didn't sign it in front of you, it could still be a nice thing to have that someone of legend actually touched and signed, and in some cases for the people on this thread, don't think authenticity for these types of autographed would be a problem. I once bought a Stravinsky autograph off an old lady in the UK because she got them "as a kid"for her autograph collection and didn't want them anymore.

But I do remember many times Williams begrudgingly signing stuff outside of symphony hall for guys literally shoving stuff in his facing and yelling at him for stuff they could sell on ebay, which in turn would annoy him and then he would leave and not sign anything for real fans.

Mine was obtained through the mail almost 10 years ago now, and I'm glad to say he wasn't under any duress and signed it of his own free will. No bad karmic energy flowing through the ink.

Here is my JW autograph. The Lost World poster which also includes Spielberg, Jeff Goldblum, Julianne Moore, and Vince Vaughn. But honestly, I have no idea if they are real or not. My parents had gotten this online when I was a kid. Probably around 2006 if I had to guess. 
Around the same time they also got an autographed poster for The Last Crusade. That one doesn’t have Williams on it though. 

My dream autograph by Williams would be on either the record sleeve of Star Wars or Schindler’s List. 

IMG_2129.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Any JWFan regulars in your picture?

Koray Savas to the far left, with sunglasses and a black shirt.

The guy with the brown bag to the right, as well as the tall guy who looks like Louis Theroux right in front of him were both part of the pre-concert JWFAN dinner, but I forget their names/usernames.

16 hours ago, rpvee said:

Funny timing for this thread to bump back up, because I had a hell of a buy this past week. I won this on eBay for a whopping $38. Yes, thirty eight dollars. It was at a local coin store that clearly didn’t realize its significance, and no one else really bid on it. No certificate of authenticity, but it’s remarkably similar (not exact, but similar) to one that sold in a Star Wars autograph Facebook group last year where every post is analyzed by experts before being approved, and that one also didn’t have a COA but was said to have been signed at a promo event, so it makes sense there’d be more than one out there. This one passed both SWAU and Beckett’s online quick opinion services before I bid on it, but I imagine I should send it in for full authentication. Regardless, quite nervously excited about this. 👀

IMG_9878.jpeg

IMG_9879.jpeg

It’s a flat 12x12 promo image, but looks close enough to a record sleeve that it looks quite nice alongside my signed original trilogy vinyls.

IMG_9883.jpeg

Is the whole digipack framed?

10 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I remember there was a period of a few years where people kept offering him teddy bears at the stage.

Maybe they wanted to give him ewoks, but the merch was out. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sign Stepmom or I'll blow myself up!

Sign it or my

Mom will shoot!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm hoping to get some opinions on the authenticity of the attached autographed photo. I have wanted Mr. Williams' autograph for a while now, and since I heard that he's no longer signing through the mail I figured purchasing an autographed item was my only hope. Today I was perusing eBay and came across a listing from Belgium for a 6x8 autographed photo and it looked like it could be real so I took the plunge and made the purchase. However, not long after my purchase was complete the seller listed several more John Williams autographed photos for sale. That's when the worry set in - how many signed items from John Williams can one person have? They're all different photos and the signatures don't look like they're copies from the same source, but still, now I have doubts. I know nobody here can tell me for sure that it's authentic, but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can tell me if it appears to be genuine or not. Many thanks in advance. 

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Gary V said:

s-l1600.jpg

I've seen many over the years, and this one looks off to me. I personally wouldn't touch it.

I've seen examples authenticated by "reputable" companies that looked suspect too, so that's not necessarily a guarantee either.

Williams' signature has changed over the decades, so I suggest you do your research by studying genuine examples and knowing what to look for. Check also if the signature has a natural "flow."

One thing I've done to eliminate doubt is to buy autographs that are dedicated to someone. I know, you don't want "To Jerry" on your autographed picture (unless your name happens to be Jerry!), but that's the point. Dedications are the kiss of death to most collectors, so forgers never think of doing it. But if your first priority is to get an authentic signature, it's worth considering.

And yes, that's a definite red flag when a seller seems to have an inexhaustible supply of autographs from the same person.

Just my two cents!

38 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I've seen many over the years, and this one looks off to me. I personally wouldn't touch it.

I've seen examples authenticated by "reputable" companies that looked suspect too, so that's not necessarily a guarantee either.

Williams' signature has changed over the decades, so I suggest you do your research by studying genuine examples and knowing what to look for. Check also if the signature has a natural "flow."

One thing I've done to eliminate doubt is to buy autographs that are dedicated to someone. I know, you don't want "To Jerry" on your autographed picture (unless your name happens to be Jerry!), but that's the point. Dedications are the kiss of death to most collectors, so forgers never think of doing it. But if your first priority is to get an authentic signature, it's worth considering.

And yes, that's a definite red flag when a seller seems to have an inexhaustible supply of autographs from the same person.

Just my two cents!

Thank you so much. I appreciate your input. Stupidly I already purchased it, but I'm trying to cancel it now. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!

3 hours ago, Gary V said:

Hello, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm hoping to get some opinions on the authenticity of the attached autographed photo. I have wanted Mr. Williams' autograph for a while now, and since I heard that he's no longer signing through the mail I figured purchasing an autographed item was my only hope. Today I was perusing eBay and came across a listing from Belgium for a 6x8 autographed photo and it looked like it could be real so I took the plunge and made the purchase. However, not long after my purchase was complete the seller listed several more John Williams autographed photos for sale. That's when the worry set in - how many signed items from John Williams can one person have? They're all different photos and the signatures don't look like they're copies from the same source, but still, now I have doubts. I know nobody here can tell me for sure that it's authentic, but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can tell me if it appears to be genuine or not. Many thanks in advance. 

s-l1600.jpg

I’ve seen all those Belgium listings, and the sheer amount of them is already a major red flag. You could also do Beckett and/or SWAU’s online quick opinion services, which only cost about $10.

4 hours ago, Gary V said:

how many signed items from John Williams can one person have?

Many. 😉

It does look pretty authentic to me. That “W” looks a little off. Williams writes the “W” differently. But I could be wrong. The other thing is the photo itself. People mostly have him sign a CD or LP cover, sometimes his sheet music, and he has official photos that he used to sign. I’m not sure where the person got this photo. But maybe he got it from the internet and then had it signed.
Hope it’s the real thing and it’ll make you happy. 
If not, hope you’ll get your money back. 

The forger did his homework on this one. It has many hallmarks of Williams' signature, but yes, the straight lines of the "W" worry me, for one.

Of course, autograph authentication is not an exact science, and the experts get fooled too. I've seen a couple that looked wonky, but turned out to be genuine, and were just examples of really rushed signatures. But this one doesn't look rushed. In fact it looks too deliberate and lacks the "flow" I look for.

Anyway, I say "go with your gut" when collecting. 

IMG_1672.jpeg

The little line beneath is a definite hallmark, but he doesn't always include it...

IMG_1677.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Gary V said:

Anyway, the hunt continues. Hopefully one day I'll be able to hang a signed photo or CD booklet on my wall.

If I were you I'd take a chance and send a request to his agency. There's no harm in trying, and you might just get lucky.

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The autograph was probably by William Ross - you could tell by its inferior composition. 

image.gif

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The autograph was probably by William Ross - you could tell by its inferior composition. 

William (Ros)s

🤔

Also try contacting the Boston Pops and its marketing dept. They may have signed pics of Williams. He used to do for them.

Got myself 6 years ago and also advised a member here who eventually got one too!!

No harm in trying or try contacting Jamie Richardson at GSA.

Best of Luck!

33 minutes ago, Amer said:

Also try contacting the Boston Pops and its marketing dept. They may have signed pics of Williams. He used to do for them.

Got myself 6 years ago and also advised a member here who eventually got one too!!

No harm in trying or try contacting Jamie Richardson at GSA.

Best of Luck!

Great suggestion. Thank you!

Very nice! As you said it's rare to get Spielberg to sign his full name like that!