Bear McCreary's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Fancyarcher

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Is the ost " complete"?

It has all the essentials. There's probably some incidental underscore here or there that's missing.

And since you've ordered it from Amazon, you might get a CD-R.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:54 AM, crocodile said:

There is probably a nice 50-minute album somewhere in there. 

Karol

I'm working on it.

After the obvious tracks for Mothra and Atlantis, it will take some doing.

Like DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, a similar score....

Fyi I got a pressed cd

On 5/24/2019 at 5:45 PM, Nick Parker said:

Seeing such love for the Godzilla theme brings warm feelings to my heart. Man I want some of those older scores re-recorded.

No one makes orchestra tutti unisons and doublings sound as goddamn thick  and punchy as Ifukube. 

I was OVERJOYED when GOJIRA was redone.

I created a special CD-r  program that slightly re-orders the sequence. Also, new track titles for some.cues.

Then I added the three " Farewell to the Dinosaurs" cues from GODZILLA V. GHIDORA as a bonus suite:

20200726_112808.jpg

The only instance of music being in a track where it's not originally supposed to be is the opening of 'Fog Over Fenway' - that piece is from the post-credits scene. Other than that, the score tracks themselves are in order as far as I can tell, so it's just a matter of selecting which ones to include. Here's what I did for my own 'short version' of KOTM

image.png

Here is my program for Disc Two:

9. GODZILLA Main Title

7. MOTHRA Song

8. GHIDORAH Theme

1. Rebirth

4. Redemption

5. King of the Monsters"

6* Godzilla Song

*I can't believe how much I like this!

18 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

It has all the essentials. There's probably some incidental underscore here or there that's missing.

And since you've ordered it from Amazon, you might get a CD-R.

The biggest stretch of missing music was between Rodan and Mass Awakening. And it didnt sound that necessary to me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 11:38 AM, bruce marshall said:

Here is my program for Disc one

Disc one

16. Key to Coexistence

3. Welcome to Monarch

6. Rise of GHIDORA

9. RODAN

13.. For Andrew

12. Queen of the Monsters

15.The Hollow Earth

17.Goodbye Old  Friend

Phew# took alot of work to whip this into shape. Very satisfying listen!

On 8/1/2020 at 11:38 AM, bruce marshall said:

Here is my program for Disc Two:

9. GODZILLA Main Title

7. MOTHRA Song

8. GHIDORAH Theme

1. Rebirth

4. Redemption

5. King of the Monsters"

6* Godzilla Song

*I can't believe how much I like this!

• 4 months later...

So... there's a new leak out there of this score... and it's got everything I could think to have hoped in there.

But... now I feel like we were ripped off... because the leak contains versions of Mothra's Song with the lyrics from the original theme!

Just now, Jay said:

Ripped off?

I'm being deliberately hyberbolic there, but the version of Mothra's Song in both the film and the OST lacks the lyrics. I always assumed they just didn't have them in there at all. Turns out that Bear McCreary did versions with the lyrics. That version should have been on the OST.

4 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

That leak also shows that the OST release was already pretty comprehensive, barring one minor action setpiece and those Mothra's Song choir versions.

You're not wrong. As a selection of music, the OST is pretty solid, hitting all the major thematic points.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, Giftheck said:

I'm being deliberately hyberbolic there, but the version of Mothra's Song in both the film and the OST lacks the lyrics. I always assumed they just didn't have them in there at all. Turns out that Bear McCreary did versions with the lyrics. That version should have been on the OST.

I can picture Zhang Ziyi and her “twin” singing. 😄

On 12/28/2020 at 9:32 AM, Giftheck said:

You're not wrong. As a selection of music, the OST is pretty solid, hitting all the major thematic points.

"Pretty soild?"

"It's TWO discs frevinnsakes!

😍

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to this for the first time.  Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll typically blind buy McCreary's stuff because usually he does something interesting that makes a score worth digging into.  A bit taken aback with this one in how conventional the whole thing sounds.  Coulda been written by anybody with relatively decent writing skills who wanted to sound like RCP in 2019.

It wasn't bad - it was definitely a listenable enough monster movie score.  But it's the kind of thing that in the past has turned me off from a composer-based blind buy, going more into a "I'll buy it if I hear it and love it" deal.  I plan on listening a few more times before I file it away for later, so maybe I'll change my tune...

Lately I've been trying something new where any new score or album I'm hearing for the first time, I listen to it twice (not necessarily back to back, but close to each other) before casting any judgement on it.  Unless the first listen completely turns me off or something.  But if its an album I've bought (rather than a new score I'm trying on Spotify), I'll give it two listens for sure now and then figure out how I feel about it

I always give at least two listens before I file it away for a time - but I usually give a score MORE listens if I’m disappointed in it. I anticipate this one will get a few listens more.

If you don't See the film the full  power of " Goodbye Old Friend" and the great choral cue " The Hollow Earth" preceding it, is lost.

41 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Just listened to this for the first time.  Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll typically blind buy McCreary's stuff because usually he does something interesting that makes a score worth digging into.  A bit taken aback with this one in how conventional the whole thing sounds.  Coulda been written by anybody with relatively decent writing skills who wanted to sound like RCP in 2019.

It wasn't bad - it was definitely a listenable enough monster movie score.  But it's the kind of thing that in the past has turned me off from a composer-based blind buy, going more into a "I'll buy it if I hear it and love it" deal.  I plan on listening a few more times before I file it away for later, so maybe I'll change my tune...

Try my playlist. It makes it better!